PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with dark/weird looking moles?

samandriel
29-06-18, 15:09
I'm back at it - I've been worrying over moles a lot. I hate it. I have two moles on my leg that are dark/black, one has brown on the outside. They're both small. I tend to have a lot of moles, it's in the family and i hate it. I tend to freak out over a lot of moles I have. There's one on my arm i really don't like. There's one on my other leg that I absolutely hate as well. They freak me out so much. I try not to, I know moles can look weird and everything. I'm just worried because they're... different. I've been to the doctor for moles before and got them removed (they weren't anything but they were on very inconvenient places). I also cannot remember if the moles were already there... I have a lot and I tend to forget things.

Does this happen to others? How do you deal? Should I feed my anxiety brain and get them checked out? I've been to the doctor for something entirely different on Monday... I don't want to go there for nothing/possibly annoy them. I just want this endless brain cycle to stop going "what if what if what if".

Any help would be really appreciated.

Fishmanpa
29-06-18, 15:43
There are a couple of mole threads at the moment. Stopping the cycle can be done but you have to work at it either with self help like the FREE CBT course (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324) offered here of real life professional help.

Positive thoughts

NervUs
29-06-18, 16:23
I am high risk for melanoma, and I get my skin checked twice per year. If you have a lot of moles, you should be having a check at least once a year.

The first appointment will establish your baseline. They will flag anything to be watched, some places even photograph and compare from visit to visit.

Once you get the all clear, you can familiarize yourself and then check for changes, like on a monthly basis is recommended. I don't do that, though, just try to keep awareness of my body and if there are new things popping up. I have a lot on my skin too, so it's hard to always know if something is new or not.

But, skin checks from a young age are a good idea, IMO, if your skin is not fully clear and it is hard to see something new.