PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks on motorways?

jalapeno1234
29-06-18, 18:56
I seem to struggle frequently on long drive motorways..at first I thought it was just that I got the hint of motion sickness (although most of this is anxiety as I have a severe case of emetophobia) but its seemingly when there is traffic ..
I had a huge headache this evening on the way back from a family day out (Im 25 and live with parents) and as we came to a huge queue...I realised I wasn't even breathing...I could, but I was holding my breath in real tight and began shaking and getting a huge wave of anxiety...I have had no accidents or traumas on the road and seem to be better when Im actually driving but I think my fear stems from something happening to me whilst I can't get out the car... i.e.illness stuff..anyone else?

CuteyMcpretty
30-06-18, 16:13
Hi,

I have had the same problems for a long time. I had my first pa just randomly, on the way to the seaside around 8 years ago, i did'nt even know what it was at the time. Since then I have avoided motorways and driving anywhere out of town.
Its strange because a few weeks after i passed my driving test I did a 210 mile round trip to Manchester, and the thought of anything like that never once crossed my mind.
I don't really have any advice ( sorry), but just wanted to say I know how your feel.
Have you tried propranolol from your drs?

ocdbaking
01-07-18, 16:43
I have struggled with this off and on for years. When I have a major anxiety relapse, it is driving that takes the longest to return back to normal.

I have had panic attacks while driving. I read somewhere that's related to a type of agoraphobia - in terms of feeling trapped, which made sense to me. I can feel trapped in the car - if an attack happens, what if I lose control of the car? What if I can't get out of the car and calm down? These thoughts can happen when on long or short journeys, or in queues.

Currently I am driving relatively well, but cannot convince myself to get on a motorway! My last counsellor said that me avoiding motorways wasn't a problem, as I knew I was avoiding them. She said I will come back onto them in my own time - I know I will when I'm ready.

I don't have a lot of advice, but once I understood why I was panicking in the car, it did help reduce the level of anxiety around driving.

dorabella
01-07-18, 23:25
I have had one or two attacks myself-usually due to a sudden awareness of as ocdbaking says being 'trapped' inside a moving vehicle that only you have control of, thinking what if xyz happens and I lose control?

Well xyz never does happen and you will find that you always keep going even if only in desperation to find that next service station where you can pull off the motorway. You will always maintain control even if you are shaking and hyperventilating - focus on the control of the car and you will find the panic symptoms will begin to subside.

A few tips my old instructor gave me:

1. Driving on motorway is actually safer than driving around town with idiots pulling out on you from side streets, tail-gaiting and all the other nonsense that goes on in congested urban roads.

2. The motorway is just a long straight road so relax and keep your speed constant. What's so scary about a long straight road?

3. Stay in the inside lane next to hard shoulder. The posers, speed idiots and general bad drivers hog the middle and outside lanes and won't bother you.

4. If your fears or panic do get too much to handle, you can always pull off temporarily to the hard shoulder for 5 minutes whilst you get a grip on yourself.

I often drive longer distances at night or early evening, when roads are generally quieter and less prone to tailbacks,roadworks, and general idiots on the road. Much more relaxing and unpressurised.

Just some thoughts to help rationalise the fears.

jalapeno1234
02-07-18, 16:11
I totally forgot I'd posted this haha!
All of this has been super helpful... Especially the whole "what's so scary about a long straight road" .. I never thought of it that way!
I'm gonna take my driving lessons back up in a few months so we'll see what happens - I feel like I might feel better as the driver somehow...hmmm
Thanks so much guys x