PDA

View Full Version : hello

shimmy05
29-07-07, 15:09
Hi everyone my name is Eli and i am 23 yrs old. i have been suffering from panic/anxiety and most recently agorophobia since 2002 and haven't been able to leave my home for almost 2 years & 5 months already. i've been to a mental resource center a few times and the therapist gave me some xanax but it was a challenge to get to the offices and so i stopped going to the appointments i felt as if he wasn't really understanding how i felt. i also have had thoughts of ending my life, i feel like it will never go away. if only i could be a normal person and go to school, work, and stuff. i really wish this would happen to me later in my life and not now that i am in my early 20's i've missed out on alot of stuff. i hope to make friends here and try to get back out somehow i really have given up though :(

groovygranny
29-07-07, 15:19
Hello Eli:welcome:to you!

I'm afraid panic/anxiety is no respector of age love - but hey, you're among friends here who understand and want to help and support you like we do one another.

You've made a very positive step by coming here and you will make new friends - I guarantee it!

Please don't give up - you can beat this you know!

Pleased to meet you!

:)

trac67
29-07-07, 15:26
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Southern_Belle
29-07-07, 18:52
Hi Eli,

Welcome to NMP. I'm glad you are still here! There are many here who understand how you are feeling and you can talk to in chat. You will make friends here and will find support that perhaps you haven't had before.

Laura

manmoor
29-07-07, 19:38
Hi Eli,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Nibbles
29-07-07, 21:42
Hi Eli and :welcome:

I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time and being your age I understand what you're saying about missing out. But each journey starts with a small step and joining NMP is that step which will help you along the road. You'll get loads of advice and support here while meeting new friends along the way.

Take care,

Lindalou64
30-07-07, 13:04
HI ELI
WELCOME, IM SURE YOU WILL FIND LOTS OF SUPPORT AND INFO HERE...I WISH YA THE BEST...........LINDA X

shimmy05
30-07-07, 18:38
thanks guys:) does anyone know what would be the best thing for me to do?

nomorepanic
30-07-07, 19:09
Hi Eli

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

The best thing for you to do is make an action plan that will get you out of the house again. Small steps each day - nothing too major.

Write a diary and describe things that you want to do and how you want to get to do them.

Also write down your fears and what will happen if you do go outside?

Above all make a concious effort to start getting out and about and doing things again.

Pink Princess
31-07-07, 12:45
hey welcome aboard, hope you settle in and make good friends here take kare xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CarpeDiem
01-08-07, 10:53
:) Hi Eli :)

Sorry to hear you feel like giving up - Please don't - I'm 25 & have gone through that same period of "mourning" the loss of my 20s to anxiety & agoraphobia. It is sad & it is time that you can't get back but there is still hope. Its a shame you weren't able to take anything positive from your therapy sessions but remember, therapists are just people too; not everyone is going to be the right one for you; it might be worth trying again with a different person.
:bighug1:
I hope you will be touched by how many people from across the world, all different walks of life, get together on this site & share their experiences & support each other - You are now officially one of those brave people - Thats definitely something to be proud of!
Lots of great people in the chat room who will offer encouragement & advice; hope to see you in there.
Take care, CarpeDiem xxxxxx

anxious rock chick
02-08-07, 01:11
Hi Eli, :bighug: My name is Laureen and I'm new to the forum. I think you have made that first big step by joining NMP. I am quite a bit older than you at 38 but I do understand how you are feeling. I started having anxiety problems when I was in my teens and it stop me doing a lot. AT 18 I became agroaphobic and did not leave the house for over 3 years. I also have social phobia too which didn't help much either. I felt that I was alone , in those days there was not a lot of help around and when I did manage to find help everyone met was a lot older than I was. Itdoes seem like everyone your age is out and about having fun - that's how I felt anyway.It was a long hard road but slowly I got there little by little.I ended up going to horticultural college (because it's relaxing!!!) and even met someone there and 15 years later we're still together - and married!. I'd be telling a lie if I said it was easy. I've never really had a proper job and still suffer from panic attacks, depression ect. today but I am still here to tell the tale.It's really possitive that you've joined us and believe me,you can do it! I'm sorry if I've gone on a bit!
if you want to chat any time just look up my profile.

:byebye:

Nibbles
02-08-07, 18:05
Hi Laureen and :welcome:

It sounds like you've learnt a really positive way of thinking and I'm glad things are working out for you. Hopefully with the advice and support from this site you'll continue to make progress.

Hi again Eli,

It does seem like all other young people are out having fun but it's not the case because anxiety affects all sorts of people. Like Nic says set small targets each day in a step by step plan and give yourself lots of praise. Joining NMP is a great first step and the first on the road to recovery.

Take care,

Mike

shimmy05
06-08-07, 19:13
Thanks everyone. i spend most of my time outside my backyard its really huge and that's all i basically do i feel worthless because my mom is the only one working and paying bills and gets me everything i need.. i feel so bad that i have to depend on her at my age, i should be out there working and buying her stuff and helping with bills. but she doesn't mind and understands me good she wants me to go back to therapy but the last time we tried to go we had to turn right back because i just couldn't make it, i was turning really white and pale my hands were cold, shaky my heart was beating out of this world.. i felt as if i was losing my mind.. it was horrible i almost got out the car while she was driving on the busy street, and that really freaked her out.... since then she actually understood what i have and what i meant when i said i can't get out the house... she really doesn't know how to help me. it's really horrible i always told myself that if i don't get better i might take my life but only after my mom dies first, i couldn't be able to put her through that pain.. but everyone here has said some great great things and it does help a lot thanks everyone.. if i ever get better i wanna devote my life and work to help people who suffer with this.

bottleblond
06-08-07, 20:22
Hi Eli,

Welcome to NMP and i hope you fine some friends and answers here.

I had a similar problem to you, when i was in my earlie 20's, i also had a period of two years where i hardly ever left the house. I felt that nothing would ever go right for me again, i just wanted to be normal like my friends, go on nights out, get a good job, meet new people.

I'm now 35, and i DID leave the house again, i DID get that good job and best of all, i now have a smashing 8 year old son who i would never be without (something i never thought would happen).

I'm having a slight blip at the moment but never be without that hope hun because if i can do the i'm sure your gonna do it too!!

take care
Lisa
xxx :hugs:

Laurie28
06-08-07, 20:51
Welcome. All you can do is take small steps and not beat yourself up too much. As someone else said you have tajken such a BIG stpe by coming on here. Speaking to people who truly understand what you are going through helps such a lot