PDA

View Full Version : Panicking over my high blood pressure!

Howanxious
01-07-18, 05:04
Hi guys! I need your help! Last friday I was in the cardiologist to have a regular checkup because i'm going to start gym (I'm 21, healthy, thin, don't smoke, don't drink and so on) and to my surprise when he took my BP it was... 150/80!!!!! Yes, I was a little anxious like always when I'm in a doctor's office (because of my HA) but that was totally inusual for me. He told me to keep an eye on it and check my BP two times a day during one week and then bring the readings to him. My GF has knowleadge about blood pressure measure so she manually took it today: my lowest reading was 135/60 and the others were always 140/70-80... It ISNT GOOD for a 21 years old man. I admit that now I can't totally relax when anyone it's going to take my BP but now i'm doubting if it's really some kind of white coat syndrome or if i'm a pre-hypertensive patient :(
Anybody had experienced something similar? Please!

MyNameIsTerry
01-07-18, 05:16
Because you are anxious about it I expect every reading is flawed. When I had my blood pressure checks recently they were initially higher than expected (but I had just been walking) so I worked on my breathing to relax my body and they took another reading. So, you could try calming your breathing because that will lower blood pressure to give a reading less influenced by anxiety.

If your doctor wants to determine if you have high blood pressure and rule out white coat syndrome they just use the 24hr ambulatory test where you wear a monitor.

Fishmanpa
01-07-18, 05:43
Does your doctor know you suffer from HA? Telling you to check twice a day just poured gasoline on the fire IMO.

I have to do the same thing but I have heart disease and needed to monitor due a medication adjustment. You're supposed to get real comfortable for ten minutes or so, then take it two times, five minutes apart, taking the lower reading as most accurate.

IMO, you're basically getting white coat syndrome and you're the doctor! If you have to do this per doctor's orders, do as I explained above. See if it makes a difference. Those instructions came with the BP unit and echoed my cardiologist's instructions.

Positive thoughts

Howanxious
01-07-18, 17:53
Does your doctor know you suffer from HA? Telling you to check twice a day just poured gasoline on the fire IMO.

I have to do the same thing but I have heart disease and needed to monitor due a medication adjustment. You're supposed to get real comfortable for ten minutes or so, then take it two times, five minutes apart, taking the lower reading as most accurate.

IMO, you're basically getting white coat syndrome and you're the doctor! If you have to do this per doctor's orders, do as I explained above. See if it makes a difference. Those instructions came with the BP unit and echoed my cardiologist's instructions.

Positive thoughts
My dr doesn't really know about my HA, but he noticed that I was nervous in his office that day, so he wanted to have some 'home readings' to see what's happening. Today it was 130/60, I think that's much better but I think that I could be way more relaxed. I'll try again the next time.

Because you are anxious about it I expect every reading is flawed. When I had my blood pressure checks recently they were initially higher than expected (but I had just been walking) so I worked on my breathing to relax my body and they took another reading. So, you could try calming your breathing because that will lower blood pressure to give a reading less influenced by anxiety.

If your doctor wants to determine if you have high blood pressure and rule out white coat syndrome they just use the 24hr ambulatory test where you wear a monitor.
Yes, I'm working on that but in the moment that I see the cuff my anxiety starts to go up and It's pretty hard to stay calm. Today I was more relaxed and we got better readings.

MyNameIsTerry
02-07-18, 02:17
What I'm wondering about is why you are having a routine appointment with a cardiologist? Was it a private appointment or do you have a condition? If the latter, I would be talking to the cardiologist about what this means or doesn't mean for a pre existing condition.

Wear the cuff loose for longer periods (don't cut the blood off, obviously) so you learn to habituate to the initial rush of anxiety.

I would tell them about your HA's impact on this so they can decide whether it's relevant or not. Hypertension in the <40's is uncommon so they perform additional testing other than what someone my age has (I was diagnosed with it a few months ago).

Howanxious
02-07-18, 06:09
What I'm wondering about is why you are having a routine appointment with a cardiologist? Was it a private appointment or do you have a condition? If the latter, I would be talking to the cardiologist about what this means or doesn't mean for a pre existing condition.

Wear the cuff loose for longer periods (don't cut the blood off, obviously) so you learn to habituate to the initial rush of anxiety.

I would tell them about your HA's impact on this so they can decide whether it's relevant or not. Hypertension in the <40's is uncommon so they perform additional testing other than what someone my age has (I was diagnosed with it a few months ago).
No, absolutely not, I don't have any heart condition. Like I said, I'm generally healthy and I've made an appointment with him because in a month I'm going to start exercising in a gym and I just wanted to know if everything is in it's place because I don't exercise a lot and this will be some intensive training.

Sleepy
02-07-18, 10:09
I definitely have white coat syndrome. On a routine gap visit my bp was high, so I was told to come back and use their "self-service" bp monitor. So this time there wasn’t even a white coat there but my obsessive brain went to work. The first reading was horrendous. I did deep breathing and took my time. I did six readings in total. Each time it got better and by the sixth one it was normal.

When I went back to the gp a couple of years later the same thing happened, so they put me on a 24hr monitor. It came back normal.

I don’t worry now when a reading is high. I’ve got a home monitor and I don’t go near it, because I know what i’m like, once I start I’ll be on it all the time. For the same reason I won’t get a Fitbit.

Shadowhawk
02-07-18, 13:25
I definitely have white coat syndrome. On a routine gap visit my bp was high, so I was told to come back and use their "self-service" bp monitor. So this time there wasn’t even a white coat there but my obsessive brain went to work. The first reading was horrendous. I did deep breathing and took my time. I did six readings in total. Each time it got better and by the sixth one it was normal.

When I went back to the gp a couple of years later the same thing happened, so they put me on a 24hr monitor. It came back normal.

I don’t worry now when a reading is high. I’ve got a home monitor and I don’t go near it, because I know what i’m like, once I start I’ll be on it all the time. For the same reason I won’t get a Fitbit.

I am the EXACT same way (and have even proven it to the docs when they give me a chance.. focused breathing, calm and quiet, and i go down. Not a perfect range, but not where i was either). Sadly, thanks to my anxiety, i am also bad about home monitoring, and always have to take several readings as my anxiety spikes me there too.

For what its worth, i am now on a BP med, but more likely due to "minor" heart wall thickening i had (most likely caused by my untreated apnea). Also, while it IS something genuine to worry about, it is also readily treatable, even without meds.. Focus on more exercise, less salt intake, and more relaxing, and you WILL bring it down if it is a problem.

BTW - i know what you mean about the fitbit - its why i turned off the heart rate monitor on my Garmin. At least right now, I freakout too easily about my heartrate (when i really relax, it can dip at 58-60, which makes me worry.... i figure an out of shape guy cant have a good resting heart rate... silly, i know).

bin tenn
02-07-18, 16:00
I take a beta blocker for mildly elevated blood pressure, as well as tachycardia. I started it in July 2015. At every doctor visit since then, my BP in the office has run about 117/78. That is, until late last year. The provider I was seeing left (she was a PA, not MD), and I saw a new provider (same office) for the first time. My BP was 140/90, or something close to that. Weird, never had that problem before!

I saw her again a few months later for a refill. Same thing, BP still elevated. She recommended that I buy a BP cuff and check it at home a few times a week. If all is well, I can just check once a week. And eventually, I can just check if I really need to. All of my home readings are no more than ~130/85, on average, but that's without a full ten minutes of rest beforehand. I can run up the stairs and check it two minutes later and it's still that low. So now I don't check it except a couple times per month.

I saw my doc again a couple weeks ago. My first BP reading was about 140/85, when the nurse checked it. The doc came in a short time later and checked it again - 128/75. The difference? She didn't wear her white coat this time! Strange, huh? :-D

Howanxious
02-07-18, 18:51

That's exactly how I feel! It's REALLY hard to relax when the cuff it's in my arm, I have to take numerous readings to have a good one when my mind and my adrenaline gives me a break haha. Today it was 130/70-60 again when I was more relaxed by the way. Maybe my cardiologist will put me on a 24hr test to be sure...

I take a beta blocker for mildly elevated blood pressure, as well as tachycardia. I started it in July 2015. At every doctor visit since then, my BP in the office has run about 117/78. That is, until late last year. The provider I was seeing left (she was a PA, not MD), and I saw a new provider (same office) for the first time. My BP was 140/90, or something close to that. Weird, never had that problem before!

I saw her again a few months later for a refill. Same thing, BP still elevated. She recommended that I buy a BP cuff and check it at home a few times a week. If all is well, I can just check once a week. And eventually, I can just check if I really need to. All of my home readings are no more than ~130/85, on average, but that's without a full ten minutes of rest beforehand. I can run up the stairs and check it two minutes later and it's still that low. So now I don't check it except a couple times per month.

I saw my doc again a couple weeks ago. My first BP reading was about 140/85, when the nurse checked it. The doc came in a short time later and checked it again - 128/75. The difference? She didn't wear her white coat this time! Strange, huh? :-D

It's almost funny lol. I don't care about the white coat, it even happens when my GF it's checking my BP at home, it's horrible. The fear of getting a bad reading spikes my anxiety and I have to wait til I'm mildly relaxed to have a 130 reading.

bin tenn
02-07-18, 20:00
I understand! I still get anxious even when I check it myself (it's an automatic cuff)! I usually have to put the cuff on my arm, then distract myself for a few minutes first. I'll read an article on my phone, browse the internet, etc, then I'll hit the start button and continue reading until it's done. If I watch the number increase, that also causes anxiety because it usually goes up to 170-200 before it begins the actual reading. And just seeing that number makes me anxious. Haha.

Mindprison
02-07-18, 23:19
I recently had a 24 hour blood pressure monitor done and while there were a few points throughout the day where I spiked rather high, this is normal. When I went to sleep, my blood pressure was absolutely fine.

The measurement BEFORE I got the 24 hour monitor? 180/110

The one after? 210/110

White coat syndrome at it's finest! You've nothing to worry about!

Moso13
03-07-18, 02:02
I am having the same issue right now. And having it this young is scaring me. I have my follow up appointment tomorrow and it was gone down a little bit, but not all the way back down to normal. I understand how you feel. Im probably going to have to go on BP medication :/

MyNameIsTerry
03-07-18, 02:19
How many times do you see the panic caused by having tests and waiting for results on here? Is there a number in the world of mathematics large enough to calculate it? :winks:

Whether it's the setting or the test itself, approach it as an anxiety issue and see if the results change when you get a handle on the anxiety you are feeling. So, use exercises that bring it down (as well as habituate to the test i.e. work up to it with such as sitting with the cuff on for so long as anxiety will fade) which is what nurses tell anyone to do having BP tests when they get a high reading regardless of anxiety (and all the other stuff nurses do in the testing e.g. sit upright, arm loose & supported, no crossing of legs or feet, etc).

Howanxious
03-07-18, 02:56
I recently had a 24 hour blood pressure monitor done and while there were a few points throughout the day where I spiked rather high, this is normal. When I went to sleep, my blood pressure was absolutely fine.

The measurement BEFORE I got the 24 hour monitor? 180/110

The one after? 210/110

White coat syndrome at it's finest! You've nothing to worry about!

I hope so! I'm strugling very hard with this! How the test was? It felt umcomfortable during these 24hr? Maybe I will ask for the test just to calm down my anxiety :scared15:

I am having the same issue right now. And having it this young is scaring me. I have my follow up appointment tomorrow and it was gone down a little bit, but not all the way back down to normal. I understand how you feel. Im probably going to have to go on BP medication :/

Your doctor surely will put you on the 24hr test before prescribing any medication! I know that it's so hard, but we are young and hypertension should not be happening to us, so let's believe that we're okay and trust in our doctors.

How many times do you see the panic caused by having tests and waiting for results on here? Is there a number in the world of mathematics large enough to calculate it? :winks:

Whether it's the setting or the test itself, approach it as an anxiety issue and see if the results change when you get a handle on the anxiety you are feeling. So, use exercises that bring it down (as well as habituate to the test i.e. work up to it with such as sitting with the cuff on for so long as anxiety will fade) which is what nurses tell anyone to do having BP tests when they get a high reading regardless of anxiety (and all the other stuff nurses do in the testing e.g. sit upright, arm loose & supported, no crossing of legs or feet, etc).

Yes, i'm already working on stopping fearing the cuff. I think I'm progressing veeeery slowly, but the "almost normal" readings are there sometimes after a couple of checkings. In four days I have my next appointment with the doctor so I have to await patiently the whole week :wacko:

Moso13
03-07-18, 03:14
What is the 24 hour test? I dont know if they will have me do that, no one has mentioned it.

MyNameIsTerry
03-07-18, 03:25
If you are getting normal readings then you don't have the elevated baselines of someone like me with Hypertension who need it forcing down with things like meds, lifestyle changes, etc. I could bring mine down for testing but they were always elevated regardless.

The 24hr monitor isn't exactly comfortable. If you are having issues with a normal BP check then I expect you will find that hard going but you can adjust to it and clearly you are already getting success so you can do so with this too if your doctor required that test (let them decide, these monitors can be in short supply, I had to wait weeks for mine). What I found with mine was when I was out walking/shopping it didn't half squeeze much harder than when resting! It's an every 30 minute reading and it will retake them if they seem invalid (most of mine when out walking were retaken) and at night (between certain hours) it changes to every hour.

They aren't exactly unpleasant but if you are fearing tests already then naturally having a test throughout the day is going to present you will some challenges to get over.

---------- Post added at 03:25 ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 ----------

What is the 24 hour test? I dont know if they will have me do that, no one has mentioned it.

It's called a 24hr ambulatory test. You wear a cuff attached to a monitor which they fit on day one and you return on day two to have it removed at the same time. It has to be worn on one arm and the monitor slung over your neck to go into a pocket on the other side (some have a belt clip). It takes readings every 30 minutes, and a check reading if it thinks the first is invalid, and then every 60 minutes between defined night time hours.

It's a test that rules out white coat syndrome because it's checking across the day and they can look for trends as well as anything that proves your readings do lower which can help prove white coat syndrome.

It's a standard test for Hypertension once they have determined the patient may have it.

It's a bit of a pain, nothing compared to anything invasive many on here have had, because it's a bit uncomfortable to wear/use. It's nothing to be afraid of but with anxiety that can be a challenge for many of us anyway!

Moso13
03-07-18, 03:40
If you are getting normal readings then you don't have the elevated baselines of someone like me with Hypertension who need it forcing down with things like meds, lifestyle changes, etc. I could bring mine down for testing but they were always elevated regardless.

The 24hr monitor isn't exactly comfortable. If you are having issues with a normal BP check then I expect you will find that hard going but you can adjust to it and clearly you are already getting success so you can do so with this too if your doctor required that test (let them decide, these monitors can be in short supply, I had to wait weeks for mine). What I found with mine was when I was out walking/shopping it didn't half squeeze much harder than when resting! It's an every 30 minute reading and it will retake them if they seem invalid (most of mine when out walking were retaken) and at night (between certain hours) it changes to every hour.

They aren't exactly unpleasant but if you are fearing tests already then naturally having a test throughout the day is going to present you will some challenges to get over.

It's called a 24hr ambulatory test. You wear a cuff attached to a monitor which they fit on day one and you return on day two to have it removed at the same time. It has to be worn on one arm and the monitor slung over your neck to go into a pocket on the other side (some have a belt clip). It takes readings every 30 minutes, and a check reading if it thinks the first is invalid, and then every 60 minutes between defined night time hours.

It's a test that rules out white coat syndrome because it's checking across the day and they can look for trends as well as anything that proves your readings do lower which can help prove white coat syndrome.

It's a standard test for Hypertension once they have determined the patient may have it.

It's a bit of a pain, nothing compared to anything invasive many on here have had, because it's a bit uncomfortable to wear/use. It's nothing to be afraid of but with anxiety that can be a challenge for many of us anyway! My mom recently got diagnosed with hypertension and they didnt have her do that test. Maybe because she is older?

Howanxious
03-07-18, 03:56

It's a bit of a pain, nothing compared to anything invasive many on here have had, because it's a bit uncomfortable to wear/use. It's nothing to be afraid of but with anxiety that can be a challenge for many of us anyway!

My lower readings were just at 130/60 (wich isn't that bad and could be the normal for my body), but maybe my "really normal" systolic values are much close to 120 but I can't know it because I can't get totally relaxed by now. I hope that with the continuous checking I'm gonna learn to calm down and have a secure reading. By the way, if you don't care, what's your age?

MyNameIsTerry
03-07-18, 04:56
My mom recently got diagnosed with hypertension and they didnt have her do that test. Maybe because she is older?

Could be. They diagnosed me before the 24hr monitor and started treatment because they thought they had enough readings and were satisfied the results were accurate. I've never heard back about the 24hr results which were obviously as expected.

With someone young they said they performed additional testing anyway.

---------- Post added at 04:56 ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 ----------

My lower readings were just at 130/60 (wich isn't that bad and could be the normal for my body), but maybe my "really normal" systolic values are much close to 120 but I can't know it because I can't get totally relaxed by now. I hope that with the continuous checking I'm gonna learn to calm down and have a secure reading. By the way, if you don't care, what's your age?

I'm 42 which is only about 2-3 years earlier than the norm for Hypertension. To be honest I found it more unusual that in the previous few years I had asthma clinic check ups where they do a routine BP check which were said to be fine which seemed odd since my anxiety was worse back then and I felt pretty amped up at the time :shrug:

My anxiety is always worse for about 4-6 hours upon waking and since the BP checks fell inside that I did explain it could be a reason but they tested later several times to get around it. It's worth them knowing if readings can be influenced by anxiety.

Howanxious
03-07-18, 18:01
I'm 42 which is only about 2-3 years earlier than the norm for Hypertension. To be honest I found it more unusual that in the previous few years I had asthma clinic check ups where they do a routine BP check which were said to be fine which seemed odd since my anxiety was worse back then and I felt pretty amped up at the time :shrug:

My anxiety is always worse for about 4-6 hours upon waking and since the BP checks fell inside that I did explain it could be a reason but they tested later several times to get around it. It's worth them knowing if readings can be influenced by anxiety.

Vital signs are so confusing for me :wacko:
I think that before this crisis I never really cared about my BP and I thought it was fine every time a nurse or a doctor checked so I don't really know what my "baseline" BP is. Anyway, this morning it reached its lowest level since I started checking it, 120/60 after three or four checkings (the first was 130/70). I think this is some kind of progress :yesyes:

bin tenn
03-07-18, 19:13
Vital signs are so confusing for me :wacko:
I think that before this crisis I never really cared about my BP and I thought it was fine every time a nurse or a doctor checked so I don't really know what my "baseline" BP is. Anyway, this morning it reached its lowest level since I started checking it, 120/60 after three or four checkings (the first was 130/70). I think this is some kind of progress :yesyes:

Good news. Hope you continue to feel well and move past this irrational fear.

MyNameIsTerry
04-07-18, 02:10
Sounds like you are getting there through exposure & habituation. Nice work!

Howanxious
06-07-18, 00:04
Well, just to put a little update here I want to say that my BP readings are getting better when I'm relaxed. I'm having more trouble at night because my anxiety spikes a little more, but when I feel I'm less anxious my readings are nearly to my normal level. Tomorrow I have my appointment with the cardiologist and I will discuss this and I know that maybe in his office my BP will spike again so I hope he doesn't try to check it lol

Moso13
06-07-18, 00:32
Good for you! Mine never went back down so they put me on blood pressure meds and I have to go get ultrasounds on my kidneys and heart :/

Howanxious
06-07-18, 00:38
Good for you! Mine never went back down so they put me on blood pressure meds and I have to go get ultrasounds on my kidneys and heart :/
But how old are you?

Moso13
06-07-18, 01:34
But how old are you? I'm 21

Checkdis
06-07-18, 04:29
Take a look at my main thread, I was on tons of drugs and peptides. BP was through the roof, now i’m 110/60’s. Just takes time, start going for brisk walks.

Howanxious
06-07-18, 08:06
Take a look at my main thread, I was on tons of drugs and peptides. BP was through the roof, now i’m 110/60’s. Just takes time, start going for brisk walks.
Nice work! My bp issues seems to be caused by my obsessive brain and my health anxiety, I have normal readings everytime I'm feeling really well and relaxed, but I'll start doing some exercise soon, I've promised it to myself :winks:

Howanxious
07-07-18, 01:14
My cardiologist asked for a 24hr test of my blood pressure just to be sure, so I'm gonna take it in a few days and finally I'll put my mind at ease! Hope everything it's allright.

tempe18
07-07-18, 01:34
Hey Howanxious! You helped me a lot on my thread and I'd love to try and return the favor here.

As I mentioned in my "lymph node" post, I went to the doctor today. Everything went well, except my blood pressure was "unusually" high as well. They took it twice--before and after the appointment--and it actually increased a bit. I was nervous too, but the nurse also suggested to me that "White Coat Syndrome" could be to blame.

When I got home, I mentioned this to my mother. She said that that's been happening to me for several years, quite literally every time I have it taken at the doctor's office. It also happens to her when she goes, and she reaches numbers that meet or exceed the ones you mentioned.

Try not to worry. White Coat Syndrome is VERY real, especially for sufferers of HA like us. I'm willing to bet that most people in these forums aren't exactly calm, cool, and collected at the doctor's office, haha!

No reason to panic :)

Howanxious
07-07-18, 02:47
Hey Howanxious! You helped me a lot on my thread and I'd love to try and return the favor here.

As I mentioned in my "lymph node" post, I went to the doctor today. Everything went well, except my blood pressure was "unusually" high as well. They took it twice--before and after the appointment--and it actually increased a bit. I was nervous too, but the nurse also suggested to me that "White Coat Syndrome" could be to blame.

When I got home, I mentioned this to my mother. She said that that's been happening to me for several years, quite literally every time I have it taken at the doctor's office. It also happens to her when she goes, and she reaches numbers that meet or exceed the ones you mentioned.

Try not to worry. White Coat Syndrome is VERY real, especially for sufferers of HA like us. I'm willing to bet that most people in these forums aren't exactly calm, cool, and collected at the doctor's office, haha!

No reason to panic :)

Hey! Thank you for this! You're right, white coat syndrome it's a fact and I have to admit that I have it, but it's still terrifing for me and scares me a lot as well as my higher heart rate when I'm anxious :scared15: Do you remember how high was your BP today?
Surely everything will be okay with the test, I'll be updating this thread if I have news. Hope you're doing it well with your lymph node anxiety :yesyes:

Howanxious
13-07-18, 17:40
Good news! Today I've got some preliminar results of my 24hr BP test and it was perfectly okay acording to what my doc said, so my readings at the office are sky high but during 24hr at home they're totally normal! No hypertension. I still have to wait for the results of the Holter monitor of my heart, but I know these will be okay too.
In a couple of days I'm gonna get the complete information of both tests, but I'm so much relaxed because at least I know my BP it's high only when I'm too anxious.

Kingdawson
13-07-18, 19:19
Good news! Today I've got some preliminar results of my 24hr BP test and it was perfectly okay acording to what my doc said, so my readings at the office are sky high but during 24hr at home they're totally normal! No hypertension. I still have to wait for the results of the Holter monitor of my heart, but I know these will be okay too.
In a couple of days I'm gonna get the complete information of both tests, but I'm so much relaxed because at least I know my BP it's high only when I'm too anxious.

Of course it was white coat syndrome. I have the same issue and it's annoying but that's life.