PDA

View Full Version : Teacher who needs to be taught.

gauss101
29-07-07, 21:26
Hello, I am a 53 year old man that teaches for a living and enjoys every second. Unfortunately, I seem to be cursed with this damned panic and depression. One seems to promote the other. I have had this since I was in my teens and have had medication, that has helped, over this period.
Last year my mother died and as the strong one of the family dealt with the organisation of everything and tried to make sure everyone else was ok. My wife has been a great support over this time and work has helped me through it all. The problem is that I don't seem to be coping witheverything, now, as well as I should. I'm constantly close to tears, cannot concentrate or relax and feel that I am crawling up the wall.
I know that there are many, many people far worse off than myself but keeping things together is really hard and I feel I could let everyone down by crumpling into a heap on the floor. Stupid, I know but I don't know where to go or who to talk to so I thought I might try this.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received and sorry for rammbling on.

groovygranny
29-07-07, 21:36
Hello gauss101 :welcome:to you!

You haven't rambled on at all !! Glad you found us!

I'm nearly 53, work in a school as IT technician and I teach IT for one half day a week whilst our teachers have their PPA time! I also enjoy my job, and have nothing but admiration for anybody who teaches full-time!! My father died 18mnths ago and likewise I found myself organising everything, looking after mother etc..... long story, but my husband has been a rock to me :)

Hang on in there - You're among friends here and will find plenty of help and support.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to chat ok? :)

Pleased to meet you!

:)

Jaco45er
29-07-07, 21:36
Hi there

Welcome to NMP, I am sure you will find this site a positive experience.

I am sorry to hear about your mother.

May I suggest you get a copy of "Self help for your nerves" by Claire Weekes?

She had a talent for explaining all those emotions and feelings you are experiencing.

Regards,

Jaco

Nibbles
29-07-07, 21:54
Hi Gauss and :welcome:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and there's nothing silly or rambling about your post. It is very common to suffer anxiety and panic after a trauma but you are coping much better than you realise. Working full time is a huge achievement and you should feel proud. There is lots of great info on the left and they'll always be someone around to listen.

Take care,

Lindalou64
30-07-07, 13:05
HI GAUSS
WELCOME ,YOU WILL FIND INFO AND SUPPORT HERE I WISH YA THE BEST.....LINDA

trac67
30-07-07, 13:22
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Piglet
30-07-07, 13:25
A big welcome to the site - like Groovy Granny says my hat also goes off to anyone in the teaching profession.

Do have a good look round the site and use the links to your left and I'm sure you will find much to reassure you.

I have to say I have had some success with Paul Mckenna's 'How to change your life in 7 days' recently but absolutely everyone should own Claire Weekes's book 'Self help for your nerves'.

All the best Piglet :flowers:

Southern_Belle
30-07-07, 15:30
Hi Gauss,

Welcome to NMP. I too am sorry about your loss. Perhaps you put aside your grieving to handle all the details and it is now hitting you and you don't even realize it. Trying to be the strong on all the time is a huge burden for anyone. I'm so glad you have the support of your wife. Kudos for being a teacher by the way! You will get alot of support here and I would try reading the advice given the by the others above.

Laura :)

gauss101
30-07-07, 15:46
Thanx to all of you who introduced yourself. The problem with this condition is that you feel as if you are in the wilderness and no-one can understand.
I'm really touched.
I'm getting some good advice and reading the forums, et al.
I really thought I had this condition licked and I really am not this whinging, moaning person but I have beaten it before and I can do it again.........
Thanx again for the support,
Keep the faith,
G

manmoor
30-07-07, 16:00
Hi Gauss,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

nomorepanic
30-07-07, 19:46
Hi Gauss

Just wanted to say :welcome: and lovely to see you here.

Sorry about your loss last year as well.

Hope we can be of some help.

Becky
30-07-07, 21:40
Hi Gauss,

I only joined NMP this week & have been over whelmed with the support & information I have recieved. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I too had panic attacks from my early teens, lost my mother & grandmother within 1 year and organise everything, looking after my dad & everyone etc., I hope you find help on these forums. Its helped me already to start talking about my problems, its been a huge relief just being able to talk about this as I haven't been able to before.

Take care of yourself

Sara

Pink Princess
31-07-07, 17:26
welcome tohe site hope you get what you are looking for and make many friends long the way
http://www.mel-ink.com/Images/Structure/welcome%20sign.JPG
love minnie xxxxxxxxxxxxx

mirry
31-07-07, 17:48
Hi Gauss, Sorry to read about your loss, it Sounds like your under pressure to hold it all together (which isnt healthy). I know its not easy to do but you need to let alot of the stresses out by crying as much as you need too.
I found it better in the long run to learn to cry and not be ashamed to cry,
Im sure you will get lots of good advice here and find yourself not so alone with these problems .
take care

Paddington
01-08-07, 15:32
Hello and welcome:hugs: how lovely to meet you:D Do you see the pattern emerging here already??How many of us on here are the care givers,the organisors??Most of us i think you will find.People dont expect us to 'fall apart at the seams '..do they?But if you do not allow yourself to grieve for the loss of your Mother ,this is what may happen..cry if you want to..tell other family members how you are feeling too:flowers: It is pent up stress and pain that makes the symptoms of anxiety so much worse ..Here any time you fancy a chat.Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx