PDA

View Full Version : So scared...

Hypo27
02-07-18, 19:09
I just found out my ferritin level was low which is iron. I’ve read that usually means Your losing blood somewhere in the GI tract... I’m terrified I have cancer in my stomach or esophagus 😩. Anyone who had followed my posts know I’ve been dealing with issues with swallowing and worsening heartburn and chest pain off and on... Could this be esophagus cancer??

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

I was just diagnosed with Chiari Malformation and now this...

AMomentofClarity
02-07-18, 19:10
Why don’t you take a look here for your answer....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=193223

Hypo27
02-07-18, 19:24
It would explain the severe tiredness and fatigue...

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Why don’t you take a look here for your answer....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=193223

I know I’ve been scared about this for awhile but what if it really is cancer now? I’m definitely losing blood somewhere causing the low iron

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

I’ve also been having spasms in my esophagus causing severe pain when I go to swallow stuff and they have been happening a lot lately.... Esophagus cancer definitely seems possible at this point :(

Fishmanpa
02-07-18, 19:25
I know I’ve been scared about this for awhile but what if it really is cancer now?

:lac:

Positive thoughts

Hypo27
02-07-18, 19:28
:lac:

Positive thoughts

Then what else could cause the low iron and everything? It seems like classic esophagus cancer symptoms..

melfish
02-07-18, 19:48
My ferritin is 7 and I'm not losing blood anywhere. Ferritin is a poor marker of iron status, as it's also an acute-phase reactant indicating inflammation. Ferritin only enters serum when there is breakdown of cells in the liver, which releases it into the bloodstream. It doesn't belong there. Better markers are serum iron and transferrin sat %, as well as haemoglobin. In any case, low iron can be caused by a multitude of issues, most easily correctible. Looking at ferritin in isolation is unhelpful.

pulisa
02-07-18, 20:32
Having low ferritin doesn't mean that you are anaemic. That would be indicated by low haemoglobin.

Mindprison
02-07-18, 23:15
I'm a male and get low iron AND folic acid at least once a year. I don't have any internal bleeding whatsoever and it's been happening since I was 19. I'm now 28.

Why? Omeprazole and poor diet.

Not everything is cancer you know?

MyNameIsTerry
03-07-18, 02:14
My mum had a test come back as low ferritin a couple of months ago. No concern from the GP, and she has meds for all sorts of things these days at 78, and a prescription for ferritin. Interestingly, she did start to feel better for taking it.