PDA

View Full Version : Um..... Is this thing on....?

CarpeDiem
29-07-07, 23:13
Hi there,

May I firstly just apologise; what started as an introduction has morphed into "A brief history of moi" - But it seems a shame to delete it as its the first time I've ever put it all down in words. Thank you in anticipation of your tolerance! :blush:

I have anxiety & panic attacks which make me feel as though I am losing control of my body & mind. Over the last 7 years, I have systematically stopped doing anything which I have convinced myself may cause either of these. Unfortunately I have let it get to a stage where this now encompasses everything except going to work. (I think this is because I have always had a seperate persona at work anyway & have to wear a uniform, so it is like I am still able to keep the "real me" hidden away)

Feeling out of control has lead me to seek to control smaller & smaller things as I feel like they're all I can get a grip on & I've developed many obsessive rituals/ticks. I feel like its not really me doing these things, infact, sometimes even AS I'm doing them, I'm screaming at myself to stop it; berrating myself for being so pathetic.

All of these things put together cause me to have periods of deep depression. Sometimes I get so down & feel so empty, its like there are no emotions left in me at all, I just sit quietly with tears streaming down my face, no sobbing or sniffing. Its like I can feel my body dying; as there is no soul left in me to sustain it.

Then sometimes I have moments when I feel like a superhero; I feel so full of hope & so grateful to be alive & have one more second to live, one more chance to exist. Like the world has shown me such pain to give me wisdom beyond my years. Am I just searching for validation? (ie: There must be some reason for my suffering, it must be because I'm actually not a depressed wreck & I'm really destined to change the world!) Who cares? If it makes me feel like this, I'm hapy to go along with it.

God, 7 years. Almost makes me cry every time I say it just because its so sad to think of the time I've lost to er, well, feeling lost (!) I'd love to build a time machine so I could go back & give myself a big hug + share all the wonderful advice I've received over the years with my younger self at a stage where I was not too jaded to act on it. But I can't. So there.

I really feel the urge to fight my demons now. I've gone through so many stages of feeling like the depression, anxiety, etc were all external things that were just happening to me rather than accepting that everything I'm feeling is coming from inside my head. I think this is because the next natural thought after that was.... shit..... I must be insane. Scary stuff.

Now, I feel like I have such a respect for the awesome power of my mind. It can make so many things feel SO REAL even when theyre not. It can inject the superhero feeling into the my darkest of moments. And I'm in the drivers seat! Wow! What a privilage! It allows me to feel so connected with everyone around me & so empathetic to people in situations I have never even experienced but can imagine by putting myself in their place. This has helped me to be a much nicer person & given me something to like about myself & even maybe feel a little bit proud of.

Some wonderful person's mind told them to put this site together so that many people could experience that empathy, maybe even spanning the entire world. Amazing.

I feel like I make progress with the things that trouble me most days but equally I feel other areas of my life deteriorating before my eyes. But thats just how it is, right?

When you get depressed or suffer with anxiety, you just want to be "normal" again. Only now, in your head, being "normal" has become being "perfect". Its as if you play a cruel trick on yourself by setting yourself up for a goal you are unlikely to achieve. For a while, I forgot that what is "normal" is to have varied emotions, if you didn't, you wouldn't be reacting to anyone or anything around you & that would be a terrible thing. So I think the best goal to have is strength to just get on with things, to roll with the punches. Cos you never know whats around the corner but imagine if you knew that whatever it was, you would be ok anyway. I can't wait for that day.

So far, I've counselling, group therapy, medication, psychotherapy, the list goes on. But mostly the thing that has helped me most is determination. Get something you want to fight for so that even at the hardest of times, some part of you is always cheering you on & getting you through it.

I'm not there yet but I hope I keep feeling the urge to carry on regardless & I can be like the people who welcomed me to this site when I first went in the chat room last night - Open, friendly & understanding. Marvelous qualities to have. Who knows who's heart you might touch if you just share?

groovygranny
29-07-07, 23:20
Hello CarpeDiem (luv the username!) :welcome:to you!

No need for apology - in fact I believe a WELL DONE is in order if this is the first time you've written it all down !! :yesyes:

Glad you found us - I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and support here and give some in return too!

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

Lindalou64
30-07-07, 13:06
Hi Carpedium.
Welcome You Will Find Lots Of Info And Support Here .wish Ya The Best...........linda

trac67
30-07-07, 13:19
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Southern_Belle
30-07-07, 15:25
Hi,

Welcome to NMP. What a well written introduction! I agree our thoughts make our reality either positive or negative. In fact, it can control us. That said, it isn't that easy to make the anxious thoughts go away, for me anyway. You will find many here who will feel exactly like you do and will give you their support. I'm so glad you already found the chat room.

Laura :)

manmoor
30-07-07, 16:01
Hi,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Nibbles
30-07-07, 17:14
Hi CarpeDiem and :welcome:

Don't apologise, it's great to get your feelings down on paper (ok the computer screen :blush: ). You sound like you've got some good coping techniques already and you'll get lots of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

nomorepanic
30-07-07, 19:44
Hi CarpeDiem

:welcome:

We met in chat on Saturday night so lovely to see you post here and what a very thought provoking post too.

You will certainly meet some lovely people here and in return get loads of support and help.

CarpeDiem
31-07-07, 10:32
:) Hello all :)

Thanks so much for your comments & for welcoming me to the site; Its all very encouraging. I'm seeing a new psychotherapist on Thursday, had an assessment with him last week & his approach was a lot more direct than previous therapists; maybe cos he's male? Not sure, but I liked it - I'm in a very "lets just do this" frame of mind lately so it seems to fit in well with that. And as I say, finding the site & hearing everyone's stories / comments is also fueling the fires of my determination - A big thank you! :yesyes:

I'm just desperately trying to "ride the wave" of feeling positive without placing too much importance on it incase it all goes wrong, as I have a tendancy to come crashing down when it does - Its an awkward balance I'm sure a few of you are familiar with.

Wish me luck - I'll let you know how it goes! (And I will be limiting myself to 100 words or less from now on! I am queen of rambling!!! :doh: )

Love CarpeDiem xxxxxx

Pink Princess
31-07-07, 17:24
welcome to the site xxxx
http://www.mel-ink.com/Images/Structure/welcome%20sign.JPG

love minnie xxxxxxxxxxxx