PDA

View Full Version : vermiculite panic

Mr.stress
03-07-18, 04:08
So...after a slew of sleepless nights I am posting. It is a tired topic around here but I have asbestos exposure panic. Long story short:

I put central air conditioning in our 100 year old home 12 years ago this summer. There was normal insulation (under floorboards) in the majority of the attic. This area includes the vents that go into all of the upstairs rooms. The unit is in that section.

However, the middle (walking area) had vermiculite. The HVAC guy cleaned an area (doubt it was a HEPA vac) for the hot air return. THe duct goes to the next floor. So... Pretty much what is done is done I guess. It is contained and what ever went through the house already has but we use the attic. A new asbestos scare in the kitchen brought anxiety on about this as there is so much new info.

A friend does major asbestos remediation looked and said it is fine and contained. HE said we can clean if I am worried about old dust. I go from fine to I killed my family every five mins.

This post seems calm but I am so tired and sick of this worry.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

To be clear the kitchen issue was not a big deal and my air test downstairs was good. But then it got me thinking about the attic and how I had remembered hearing about the whole vermiculite scare. I used to just think...Well thank god its is under floorboard but now I am spiraling . It is like the other scare triggered something inside me