PDA

View Full Version : Lymph nodes/submandibular glands under jaw?

tempe18
05-07-18, 23:12
Hey all,

I'm 19 and I've had HA for several years now. It was pretty much in control/a non-issue until recently, when I discovered two identical (or nearly identical) lumps under my jaw, one on each side. I can move them onto my lower cheek for "examination" (read: panic attacks). They're along my jawline, about halfway in between the tip of my chin and the corner of my jaw (though sometimes they feel more situated towards the back of my jaw).

They are each about 2cm, spherical (or close), and completely painless, which is what originally concerned me--I made the mistake of googling, and I know that painless lumps are sometimes bad. lymph nodes aren't supposed to be that big, either. I don't know how long they've been there; when I leave them alone they kind of "suck up" back into my jaw, so I don't know that I would call them inflamed. They're both rather easily findable when I go "digging," though.

The lumps are both extremely movable, and in the general location of the submandibular glands (I think). Logically I know it's a long shot that anything is seriously wrong--two identical lumps, one on each side, movable, etc., but I haven't been able to stop playing with/worrying about them.

I'm wondering, because it may help me: can any of you feel any relatively similar, painless, identical lumps under your jaw, and if so, how large? Does anyone know specifically what I'm feeling under there? I'm panicking over these...any reassurance will help.

Howanxious
05-07-18, 23:58
You're overthinking this thing. Lymph nodes under that area are completely common. I can feel mine in that area and in other areas too, they are all movable, soft and some are biggers than other. In 2017 i've spent almost a year obsessively checking my lymph nodes, checking my temp, worrying about blood cancer, going from my GP to an ENT to have other opinions several times, without mention the blood tests and x ray. Yes, it was all in my head, all that time. My lymph nodes were normal, I was healthy and I know that you're too.
If you can't get out of this cycle, visit an ENT and he'll be able to evacuate all your doubts. And then, if you have to reach that level of anxiety, BELIEVE HIM and forget it.
Lymph nodes are there always and only sometimes they become cancerous. If you have a single or multiple lymph nodes that are hard, big as a golf ball, ummovable, painless, along with fevers, night sweats, extreme tiredness, extreme itchiness, extremely frecuent infections and many many other things, JUST IN THAT CASE you should be worried. You'll be okay, believe me!

tempe18
06-07-18, 00:19
Thanks for your reply Howanxious, I really appreciate it.

I guess I'm mainly concerned because I've heard 2cm is "too big" for lymph nodes to be--the ones in question are roughly the size of a small grape--but if they're identical on both sides, I should be able to assume they aren't a problem?

Howanxious
06-07-18, 00:42
Thanks for your reply Howanxious, I really appreciate it.

I guess I'm mainly concerned because I've heard 2cm is "too big" for lymph nodes to be--the ones in question are roughly the size of a small grape--but if they're identical on both sides, I should be able to assume they aren't a problem?
2cm isn't always too big, it's in some way the 'high limit' but a 2cm lymph node could be totally normal, we all have different bodies and that size scale isn't always the same for everybody. Obviously that a 3 or 4cm lymph node should be checked in all the cases just to be sure, but even in that situation it could be still normal.

tempe18
06-07-18, 23:00
Thanks for the replies! Went to the doctor today just because I figured it would help...he says I was feeling my submandibular glands and that my lymph nodes aren't actually inflamed at all. Said everything looks normal and he didn't look concerned at all.

The anxiety still hasn't subsided fully, even though logically I trust the doctor...hoping that will change pretty soon.