PDA

View Full Version : Losing my mind over petechiae

Seany
07-07-18, 12:34
On Monday i woke up to tiny little red dots on my chest, stomach and arms, they are definitely petechiae as they dont fade when i press them, there is around 6 altogether on my chest and stomach and a lot more on my arms! I googled and found out they are a symptom of leukemia, which has made me panic so much.

I have not stopped panicking all week, on Thursday i went to the doctor who had no idea what they were, he had to google himself, he ended up telling me it was nothing and told me to go, so yesterday i went to see my normal GP who i see regularly, he looked at them and tried to tell me there were nothing, but the thing is for the past 2 months i have had random headaches and pains in my arms and legs both of which are also symptoms of leukemia. The doctor told me that i don't have it and he felt my lymph nodes and checked me for a fever, said that both were ok but he said i need to get a blood test done today. He said he wants me to get the blood test to stop me worrying or else im going to make myself ill with worrying, but i think he just used that as an excuse and he knows that i could have leukemia, he just didnt want me to panic even more.

I'm so scared, i cant eat or anything, i'm just convinced i have leukemia :( has anybody ever had an experience with these blood spots? I seem to be getting more of them everyday which is making me worry even more, but im terrified to go for the blood test, especially seeing as its the weekend and i'd have to wait for the results!

ankietyjoe
07-07-18, 13:10
Or heat rash.

Seany
07-07-18, 13:20
Or heat rash.

Definitely not a heat rash, its dot of blood underneath my skin, a heat rash fades when you place a glass over it, these dont fade

ThroatGoat
07-07-18, 13:25
has anybody ever had an experience with these blood spots? I seem to be getting more of them everyday which is making me worry even more, but im terrified to go for the blood test, especially seeing as its the weekend and i'd have to wait for the results!

Yes, I have them too and they're nothing to worry about. :)

How old are you? I started noticing mine in my early 20's and I've got quite a few of them today. Stomach, arms, legs etc. etc. I haven't counted them, but probably 20+ at the very least.

They're a normal thing with age, if you have leukemia you apparently end up covered in them, not just a few here and there.

Go for the blood test and try not to worry about having to wait for the results. :yesyes:

ankietyjoe
07-07-18, 13:28
Definitely not a heat rash, its dot of blood underneath my skin, a heat rash fades when you place a glass over it, these dont fade

My heat rash doesn't fade when I put a glass over it.

I've been getting it on and off since I was about 8. I'm now 46.

Seany
07-07-18, 13:42
Yes, I have them too and they're nothing to worry about. :)

How old are you? I started noticing mine in my early 20's and I've got quite a few of them today. Stomach, arms, legs etc. etc. I haven't counted them, but probably 20+ at the very least.

They're a normal thing with age, if you have leukemia you apparently end up covered in them, not just a few here and there.

Go for the blood test and try not to worry about having to wait for the results. :yesyes:

I'm 27, do you not think its concerning that they all just appeared out of nowhere one day? And i wouldn't say im covered in them, i do have them in a lot of places though and they are really small! The prominent ones are on my chest and stomach. I was hoping the heat could have caused them because i've been out in the sun a lot recently and i didn't go out at all for like 2 years because of my anxiety but the doctor said thats not caused it.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

My heat rash doesn't fade when I put a glass over it.

I've been getting it on and off since I was about 8. I'm now 46.

Really? Are yours flat or raised? Mine are completely flat, apparently if they are raised it could be other things but flat ones usually are a sign of something bad.

Seany
10-07-18, 13:46
I posted a few days ago that my doctor sent me for blood tests for leukemia because i've got random dots of petechiae on my arms, legs, chest and stomach which appeared last week, and random pains in my arms and legs for a couple of months which were put down to anxiety, he tried to reassure me that im healthy and im most likely ok but he wanted to send me for a blood test to put my mind at rest, although i think he just said that to stop me panicking and he actually knows theres something wrong!

So anyway i had the blood test done yesterday after spending all weekend worrying about getting it done to the point i couldnt even eat! The nurse that did the blood test said she would put it in a red bag which i think means it goes to the lab quicker, because she seen how anxious i was.

Right now im so scared of what the results are going to be, i have called my GP three times already today to see if my results are back yet and the receptionist said they arent, im going out of my mind panicking and i just dont know what to do, i just know theres something wrong and waiting to find out exactly what is making things so much worse :(

Nicole0134
10-07-18, 13:51
It's horrendous waiting on these sorts of results. Something lots of us will have to do in our lifetime unfortunately. If not us - then for loved ones. Hope all is fine...

SarahNah
10-07-18, 13:56
I'm sure you doctor isn't allowed to tell you they think nothing is wrong when they think so otherwise? That would withholding info willingly. My friend is a medical student and I talked about this with him before when I had doubts myself about my doctor trying to comfort me. If they don't have any doubts, they don't have any doubts. If they think something might be up sinister or not. They have to be upfront with you.

Seany
10-07-18, 14:07
It's horrendous waiting on these sorts of results. Something lots of us will have to do in our lifetime unfortunately. If not us - then for loved ones. Hope all is fine...

I've had an anxiety disorder for 8 years but i never knew what true anxiety was until now! And thank you, i hope so too :/

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

I'm sure you doctor isn't allowed to tell you they think nothing is wrong when they think so otherwise? That would withholding info willingly. My friend is a medical student and I talked about this with him before when I had doubts myself about my doctor trying to comfort me. If they don't have any doubts, they don't have any doubts. If they think something might be up sinister or not. They have to be upfront with you.

Well atleast thats reassuring, i just always worry that my doctor tries to hide the truth from me because he knows what im like with anxiety. I've seen him about 5 times in the past month and he always tells me my problems are caused by anxiety and i guess its just hard to believe that anxiety is the answer to everything!

nomorepanic
10-07-18, 14:16
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Fishmanpa
10-07-18, 14:19
I'm sure you doctor isn't allowed to tell you they think nothing is wrong when they think so otherwise?

Not true. My personal experience with the serious physical issues I've faced were doctors that were brutally honest in the seriousness of my situation. Equally true are doctors that will tell you they think it's nothing to worry about and practice CYA medicine.

Positive thoughts