PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of SJS on antibiotics.

Rb82923
07-07-18, 16:40
Due to a tril to the ER and bout of pelvic inflammatory disease from my IUD birth control I am on two heavy duty antibiotics. Flagyl and doxycycline. I have read the symptoms of SJS (Steven Johnson syndrome) and I am terrified because it says that it can start out as flu like symptoms. Before I went to the ER I had a very very slight sore throat and a slight swollen lymph nodes. After starting the antibiotics I noticed my throat got worse, feels tight and my lymph nodes are more swollen and sore. It has been two partial days and one whole day of antibiotics and I am FREAKING OUT. I've always had anxiety but I've never been on such heavy duty antibiotics before. My skin is sometimes a little itchy/Burns and my eyes burn a little bit on occasion. The skin burn feeling has happened before during an antibiotic. SJS sounds horrifying and being the mom of two little girls I don't have time to be in a hospital that long. Nor would it be good for them to see me in that kind of condition. I think I would literally die of a broken heart to be away from my girls for so long. I still have 12 days left of these antibiotics.
Edit to add: I did call the pharmacist who said sjs is rare and usually fast acting but I've been reading stories where it wasn't so fast and took several days. I do not have insurance at the moment so I can't really see a doctor as paying out of pocket for all of these medications has become quite costly.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Literally if anyone could try to bring me some sort of comfort or relief, input, anything it would be so very much appreciated!

Anxiousamyj
07-07-18, 17:03
Stop reading stories on Google. That's why you're scared. Anxiety breeds illness and stress is hard on your body when you're trying to heal. Googling is feeding your dragon. I have been on antibiotics many times and never heard of sjs. Trust me, let this one go. You will be fine. Focus on healthy eating and habits.

Rb82923
07-07-18, 17:58
Thank you! I realize that SJS is rare, but it was listed in the side effects print out that came with my medication so my worries escalated from there. I am trying very hard to be calm and not think/dwell about it. I just don't understand what is causing the throat/eye issues.

RadioGaGa
08-07-18, 17:15
Hello

It's quite common for us with health anxiety to fear the worst. But, working in Pharmacy I'll offer a statistic which I hope will reassure you.

For every 1,000,000 prescriptions dispensed, approximately one to six out of that 1,000,000 will get SJS.

This is where the "one in a million" quote really does hold true.

Take your abx - you'll be fine!

Rb82923
08-07-18, 17:32
Hello

It's quite common for us with health anxiety to fear the worst. But, working in Pharmacy I'll offer a statistic which I hope will reassure you.

For every 1,000,000 prescriptions dispensed, approximately one to six out of that 1,000,000 will get SJS.

This is where the "one in a million" quote really does hold true.

Take your abx - you'll be fine!

Thank you! I have continued to take them. I have completed 6 of the 28 doses. It seems like forever to go but I will keep going. I just don’t like the tightness in the throat/neck feeling that I keep feeling after taking them. It’s a bit scary but I keep telling myself I’m breathing so I must be fine.

unicorndusy
09-07-18, 09:42
Hi,

I only know about SJS from watching an episode of Mystery Diagnosis where a woman's little girl had it. (Definitely do not watch that program if you have severe HA because it will most likely stay in your head and you think you have it too) SJS is extremely, extremely rare and it should definitely not be a worry in your head. You will feel well soon enough and will continue to be an amazing mom to your daughters. :hugs: