PDA

View Full Version : Twitching and terrified

AstangiAnge
08-07-18, 13:45
I’m new to the forum and I’m sure this is a topic that’s been addressed numerous times but I’m terrified. About 5 weeks ago I noticed twitching in my calves. Constant twitching, pop here, pop there. It was right after an intense yoga practice so I thought maybe my muscles were just tired. I’m turning 40 in a few months do I figured I’m just getting older. Well the twitching persisted and seemed to move to encompass my entire legs.

After about two weeks of this I went to the dr who didn’t seem to take me seriously because of my history of anxiety. No exam really other than the normal listening to my heart, taking blood pressure etc. My diagnosis was “psychosomatic disorder” and I was given anti anxiety meds to take for breakthrough anxiety on top of my antidepressant I already take. She did run blood work and it came back fine except for being low on vitamin D at 15 when the lower limit is 15. The nurse said this can cause “muscle symptoms” and I felt reassured for a few days.

I’m not three weeks into taking the vitamin D and the twitching has not stop or slowed. I’m terrified there’s something more sinister going on. At this point I seem to have twitches everywhere although the are worse and actually constant in my legs. I’ve always had health anxiety and over the years I’ve been terrified I’m dying from a number of things but this one seems more real. Like I can physically see the movement of the twitches or it’s not like I’m imagining it.

This worry is affecting my life and it’s all I can think about. Anyone else been down the twitching rabbit hole (I’m currently convinced it’s the early signs of ALS despite the fact that I don’t have any weakness/atrophy, even reading the great post on here regarding why you don’t have ALS did nothing to quell my fear) and have some advice for me? I have two small children and it makes me sad I’m wasting time googling why I’m twitching instead of enjoying them. I’ve been in therapy many times over the years and have gotten most of my other anxiety/panic issues under control but this health anxiety thing is so tough. Thanks for listening.........

Fishmanpa
08-07-18, 14:37
Please READ THIS (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071) as often as you need to.

Positive thoughts

tan235
09-07-18, 04:03
oh dear - poor twitching... .. I too have suffered from the ALS rabbit hole and look who knows - one day we may get it, but i doubt it. I've had a twitching eye for 1 year, twitching calves for months, twitching everything for months, my neurologist said he doesn't care for twitching, he cares for obvious signs like drop foot or weakness, he said twitching is so broad it's like having flour out of the pantry and someone guessing what you're going to make - impossible .... who would know, maybe nothing, maybe you left it out by mistake, unless other ingredients present themselves he assumes it's nothing but flour - and as far as twitching and ALS goes he has never seen it start with twitching AND he was OLD... so he's been around a while.

You'll be fine, let it twitch, in fact my calves are now twitching just thinking about your twitching calves!