PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety - IBS - Off Balance - Vicious Cycle

beatboy77
08-07-18, 15:44
Please would like feedback on this or if you go through something similar

I have always felt my anxiety originates in my stomach/gut. It seems historically I pretty much only get panic attacks at night while sleeping or trying to sleep. Generally they have happened after I ate too much food either too close to bedtime or a food which upset my stomach.

The pattern seems to be consistent. I will wake up with my stomach/intestines churning (You can actually hear them slightly). This essentially creates a build up of gas. I then wake up with an almost suffocating feeling. This is when the anxiety kicks in. I feel my heart rate increase, my breathing becomes quick and the tunnel vision kicks in. This continues until I either pass gas or have a bowel movement.

After, I generally calm down and usually within 90 minutes or so, I can fall back asleep if the stomach/intestines stay calm.

So this leads me to the vicious cycle this puts me in. Generally the next day I fixate on what caused the stomach issues. When I do this, the anxiety kicks in a bit and of course the anxiety gets the stomach in discomfort. It is almost like both issues directly feed each other back and forth.

I have noticed recently, when I am stuck in one of these cycles, I seem to clench my jaw throughout the day. As such, I believe this constant pressure is effecting my balance. Not really dizzy, just an "off-balance" feeling.

Just wondering if others here go through this, or similar? If so, any advice?

Josh

MRS STRESS ED
08-07-18, 17:11
Josh l can totally relate its a horrible feeling l get it just as im dropping off to sleep feel like im going to stop breathing,my anxiety is sky high again at the moment l keep telling myself its anxiety it's anxiety l to get dizziness and balance issues its a vicious circle we just have to keep busy as best we can and tell anxiety to p######

vicky23
10-07-18, 15:45
Yeah I have the same unbalanced feeling and ibs/anxiety cycle