PDA

View Full Version : Can’t leave the house...

kay1218
08-07-18, 19:21
Here’s some background....
About two or three weeks ago i had a huge panic attack and ever since my anxiety has been through the roof, i also have had a lot of smaller but still terrifying panic attacks.
The last week or so I’ve realized I’m just not myself at all... I’m thinking that it’s probably just my anxiety cause a lot of stress on my brain but at the same time i can’t shake the thought that something might me terribly wrong....
So here’s the problem... the last week or so i have had to force myself to do anything but lay in bed.. i have no appetite and have to make myself eat, i go days without showering then have to force myself to go do it, it even is a tiring though to even go sit in the living room with my family, i cannot get myself to find fun in seeing anyone, i can’t get excited for anything. I just sit in bed and focus on not having a panic attack and i can’t wait to go back to sleep so i don’t have to deal with my anxiety anymore. I am not suicidal, not sure if I’m depressed. But none of this is like me at all...
Another problem... it feels as though my brain is struggling to think... memories and thinking of the future seem like i have to try so hard to remember... not sure if this is stress related or if there is something wrong??

Not sure what u exactly am asking from you guys, considering none of us are doctors.. maybe just some reassurance that I’m not going crazy, I’m not developing a more severe mental illness, i don’t have some brain problem.. i don’t know.

I know this is long & i am sorry....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
08-07-18, 19:38
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

kay1218
08-07-18, 20:04
I also want to add to this.... the night i had the severe panic attack it was triggered by smoking marijuana... everyone that smoked with me was fine so I’m sure it was not laced but I’m just not sure if that is important information in giving me advice/insight

ankietyjoe
08-07-18, 20:16
Weed is a classic trigger for anxiety. The same thing happened to me about 12 years ago. I had smoked weed on and off for at least 15 years before that and never had an issue. It's just pot (no pun) luck whether it hits you or not. When it hit me, it hit me like a tonne of bricks.

The anxiety you are experiencing is textbook. The most important thing you can do right now is not start looking for reasons. This is Pandora's box and shouldn't be opened.

You smoked weed, you were hit with a panic attack.

The following anxiety is 'normal' too. It may take weeks for you to come down from the experience. In the meantime, just do your best to accept that this is where you are right now. Acceptance is a powerful tool in combating anxiety.

As horrendous as anxiety feels, it's not actually dangerous.

Allow it to do it's thing, and it will eventually pass....assuming you don't keep feeding it with 'what if it's this' stories.

GiantMogwai
08-07-18, 20:16
Was your huge panic attack caused by marijuana. Describe it. Where were you? Who was with you? What was going on?

kay1218
08-07-18, 20:29
Was your huge panic attack caused by marijuana. Describe it. Where were you? Who was with you? What was going on?

I was at my house smoking with my friends... i went inside cause i started to feel funny, i looked in the mirror and i swear i saw my pupils getting huge and tiny over and over and that scared the shit out of me... i immediately began to panic but at the time i didn’t think i was panicking i thought i was dying. I started screaming and crying and saying i couldn’t feel anything because i couldn’t... i ran downstairs to tell my parents.. I’m 18 i still live at home. I was hysterically screaming and begging to be taken to the hospital but i guess my mom could tell it was a panic attack and she told me to try a cold shower. I got in with all my clothes and was sobbing trying to explain how i felt but i felt like no one was listening. I felt like i couldn’t feel anything, i couldn’t think into the past or the the future at all and my thoughts and words were extremely jumbled... i eventually got out of the shower and tried drinking water but i freaked out after that too because i said that i couldn’t feel it going down my throat... i felt like my body was moving in slow motion and i felt like i was minutes away from dying but no one would listen.... after what felt like hours to me i started to come out of it but it had actually been approximately 20 minutes... my knowledge of time was so messed up... i then convinced myself that before i had ran downstairs i had passed out upstairs and died it was dying and that the whole experience i was having was some type of dream... i eventually decided that if that was the case, there was nothing i could do about it so i started testing people to see if it was a dream. I started saying off the Wall things to my mom to see if her reaction would be her real life reaction... i was cussing in front of her and telling her things I’d normally keep a secret.. i also felt like I could predict the future... id ask something and then try to think of their response before they said it... of course i was wring every time but my irrational state of mine told me “of course you’re going to get it wrong.. your body doesn’t want you to know this is a dream” after an hour or so passed i still had a small part of my mind thinking the whole thing was a dream and that i really had died or falling into a coma but for the most part after the first hour i was just extremely high and disoriented.. the next morning i had an extremely stressful situation unfold also so i always say that those were the most stressful 24 hours of my life!

ankietyjoe
08-07-18, 20:42
It doesn't matter where you were, who you were with or exactly how you felt. Weed can and does cause unpredictable and massive panic and anxiety in a lot of users.

kay1218
08-07-18, 20:45
It doesn't matter where you were, who you were with or exactly how you felt. Weed can and does cause unpredictable and massive panic and anxiety in a lot of users.

I totally agree!! Those were the same people I’ve always done it with in the same place I’ve always done it. I’ve read that certain strains can affect you different and my personal theory is that i had my first “body high” and it scared the shit out of me. Then the normal symptoms of a panic attack mixed with being extremely high... created my situation

GiantMogwai
08-07-18, 21:23

Disagree. I know from personal experience these all matter in respect of subsequent avoidance. I get what you mean in terms of cause. Weed is the cause. Fine. I just think where and with whom this happened affects avoidance and the way forward, so in this case the first step is getting straight with the other members of the household and getting comfortable moving about the house without feeling too freaked out.

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Also staying off the weed. :)

kay1218
08-07-18, 21:25
Disagree. I know from personal experience these all matter in respect of subsequent avoidance. I get what you mean in terms of cause. Weed is the cause. Fine. I just think where and with whom this happened affects avoidance and the way forward, so in this case the first step is getting straight with the other members of the household and getting comfortable moving about the house without feeling too freaked out.

I think i was unclear.... I’m not freaked out or scared by being in other parts of the house or around my family... i just don’t feel up to it. I’m extremely exhausted and mentally drained from the last few weeks being so filled with anxiety and anxiety. Also i haven’t smoked since and truly never plan to

ankietyjoe
08-07-18, 21:34

It's medical fact. Weed can directly cause panic attacks with no other apparent trigger. When I had my attack I was home watching comedy on TV, nobody around. I felt good. Weed is very unpredictable, irrespective of strain, strength or variety.

Anxiety in itself is a condition of avoidance, and I don't think analysing the situation it happened in is relevant to recovery. It simply offers reasons not to do certain things in the future, where the thing NOT to do is weed.

This is why I talk about acceptance. It happened, move on. And that's the hard part, moving on. Don't worry about 'what if it happens again', because it probably will. The important thing is realising that panic attacks are a temporary state, unless we (and I did this for years) elevate them to a permanent state.

kay1218
08-07-18, 21:38
It's medical fact. When I had my attack I was home watching comedy on TV, nobody around. I felt good. Weed is very unpredictable, irrespective of strain, strength or variety.

Anxiety in itself is a condition of avoidance, and I don't think analysing the situation it happened in is relevant to recovery. It simply offers reasons not to do certain things in the future, where the thing NOT to do is weed.

This is why I talk about acceptance. It happened, move on. And that's the hard part, moving on. Don't worry about 'what if it happens again', because it probably will. The important thing is realising that panic attacks are a temporary state, unless we (and I did this for years) elevate them to a permanent state.

For the past few weeks I’ve had them nearly every day. Every morning i wake up thinking i feel better and it’s gonna be a better day but then when i get out of bed my heart rate accelerated... as it should going from laying down to up and walking... but it scares me into a panic... by the end of my hallway i feel exhausted already. I also think that I’m making myself more tired and weak by staying in bed and sitting all day.

ankietyjoe
08-07-18, 21:44
For the past few weeks I’ve had them nearly every day. Every morning i wake up thinking i feel better and it’s gonna be a better day but then when i get out of bed my heart rate accelerated... as it should going from laying down to up and walking... but it scares me into a panic... by the end of my hallway i feel exhausted already. I also think that I’m making myself more tired and weak by staying in bed and sitting all day.

This is a story common to almost everybody here.

When you wake up tomorrow, sit up first before you get up. Remind yourself what might happen, then remind yourself that it's not dangerous. One of the most important things in recovery from anxiety is reminding yourself that what you're experiencing is not dangerous, at all.

And yes, sitting around all day will make things worse. I learned that from hard experience. It's good to get up and walk around, to get outside. But it is also important to listen to your central nervous system (which is where the problem exists) and allow it to chill out and watch some TV and do nothing sometimes too.

kay1218
08-07-18, 21:46
This is a story common to almost everybody here.

When you wake up tomorrow, sit up first before you get up. Remind yourself what might happen, then remind yourself that it's not dangerous. One of the most important things in recovery from anxiety is reminding yourself that what you're experiencing is not dangerous, at all.

And yes, sitting around all day will make things worse. I learned that from hard experience. It's good to get up and walk around, to get outside. But it is also important to listen to your central nervous system (which is where the problem exists) and allow it to chill out and watch some TV and do nothing sometimes too.

This has all been extremely helpful. I am seeing a doctor Tuesday to talk ab anxiety and depression... talk ab medication and what I’m willing to try. Might ask about therapy. Hoping if all else fails I’ll at least feel better after being checked out by a doctor since most of my problems are HA

ankietyjoe
08-07-18, 21:54
My personal belief is that anxiety can be intercepted with certain thought patterns. It's the basis of meditation and CBT, the idea that you will feel bad, but it's ok. That feeling will pass and you can get on with your life. The problem isn't actually the anxiety, it's how we react to it. The techniques that allow you to sit with panic are the things that will ultimately allow you to let it go over time.

GiantMogwai
08-07-18, 22:08
Joe my response doesn't disagree with the weed cause if you read properly, but you're oversimplifying with a mind over matter strategy to recovery which simply doesn't work for many people with panic. Where the attack happened is sometimes key to exposure therapy as any CBT practitioner will tell you, so respectfully, on this point, you're just wrong.

ankietyjoe
08-07-18, 22:18
Joe my response doesn't disagree with the weed cause if you read properly, but you're oversimplifying with a mind over matter strategy to recovery which simply doesn't work for many people with panic. Where the attack happened is sometimes key to exposure therapy as any CBT practitioner will tell you, so respectfully, on this point, you're just wrong.

I'm not talking about mind over matter, I'm talking about re-training the brain. I'm not willing the anxiety away, I'm learning to live WITH it, which in turn reduces the cycle of fear that creates anxiety disorders.

With CBT, the exposure therapy aspect of it isn't about a particular situation, it's about exposing yourself to anxiety and whatever may cause it. Anxiety disorders change in terms of what triggers them so learning to cope with a particular situation is short sighted. It's learning to cope with the symptoms of anxiety that CBT is really offering a solution for.

MRS STRESS ED
08-07-18, 22:28

Totally agree best thing for you stay off the weed its not rocket science :lac:

kay1218
08-07-18, 22:29
I haven’t smoked since and do not plan to at all... However I’m still having several panic attacks a day and constant anxiety in between.

GiantMogwai
08-07-18, 22:32
Thinking about Kay all I'm saying is this happened in her home, she doesn't even want to get out of bed, so I'm suggesting to get a bit straighter with the family, smooth things out, get a bit more comfortable being in the various rooms in the home and feeling better, then take it from there. If this had happened at a school party the avoidance and habitualisation issues might be different. In my case I've found the closer to home the panic attack the harder it is to get out.My point is well meant and I'm only trying to help with a first practical step based on what has worked for me. Peace out. :)

kay1218
08-07-18, 22:34
Thinking about Kay all I'm saying is this happened in her home, she doesn't even want to get out of bed, so I'm suggesting to get a bit straighter with the family, smooth things out, get a bit more comfortable being in the various rooms in the home and feeling better, then take it from there. If this had happened at a school party the avoidance and habitualisation issues might be different. In my case I've found the closer to home the panic attack the harder it is to get out.My point is well meant and I'm only trying to help with a first practical step based on what has worked for me. Peace out. :)

Totally appreciate this and i wasn’t trying to shut down your advice i was just explaining that my trouble isn’t my relationship with my family or a fear of the rest of my house...

GiantMogwai
08-07-18, 22:47
Sure Kay, so your family is supportive and you feel like your next step could just as easily be outside the house as in?

kay1218
08-07-18, 22:48
Sure Kay, so your family is supportive and you feel like your next step could just as easily be outside the house as in?

Yes, I’m not sure what triggers my anxiety. What triggers my panic attacks is my symptoms of anxiety which i then convince myself are symptoms of something fatal like a heart attack or stroke... i am seeing a doctor Tuesday

GiantMogwai
08-07-18, 22:51
Good luck Kay. Take care. I just want to see you happy in your own home. :) :)

MRS STRESS ED
08-07-18, 22:55
Yes, I’m not sure what triggers my anxiety. What triggers my panic attacks is my symptoms of anxiety which i then convince myself are symptoms of something fatal like a heart attack or stroke... i am seeing a doctor Tuesday

now ask yourself is this rational thinking ask yourself are you healthy, your age then ask yourself do you really think it is something that sinister, all you're doing it reinforcing your anxiety,its a vicious circle we just have to keep busy as best we can and tell anxiety to go to hell :D

GiantMogwai
08-07-18, 23:05
Kay, when I was a bit like this I'd go and visit a relative with some small kids. I'd just sit in the kitchen and drink a cup of tea at my sister in laws house. I wouldn't talk much and I knew my sister in law didn't expect me to, but little by little it cheered me up. I think my turning point was when my nephew offered to share a chocolate muffin with me.