PDA

View Full Version : Worried about booking flights

phil06
09-07-18, 18:56
I’m worried about flying again I want to go to Rome for my honeymoon but fear booking a flight will cause anxiety at wedding. I could go elesewhere for honeymoon but not sure what to do.

In 2020 I want to fly to New York but I hate never been more than 3 hours on a plane I worry about jetwag, the time zone the food :ohmy:

I have been on two flights in past few years after a break and I managed it but it caused me anxiety booking. I do get the train but sometimes further away places like Italy mean the plane is easier :huh:

.Poppy.
10-07-18, 15:05
Do you know what specifically scares you about booking a flight? Is it catching the flight, finding the best price, being on the plane, etc.? If you can pinpoint what aspect bothers you the most maybe you can find a way to cope or work around it.

I flew from NYC to Manchester a couple of years ago - it's a long flight but it's really not that bad. I took a motion sickness pill and slept the entire way. It's helpful to fly at night for that reason too!

phil06
10-07-18, 16:21
Do you know what specifically scares you about booking a flight? Is it catching the flight, finding the best price, being on the plane, etc.? If you can pinpoint what aspect bothers you the most maybe you can find a way to cope or work around it.

I flew from NYC to Manchester a couple of years ago - it's a long flight but it's really not that bad. I took a motion sickness pill and slept the entire way. It's helpful to fly at night for that reason too!

I’ve had bad anxiety about flying since that flight went missing a few years back.

But yes I feel more in control on a train can get off at a stop if you really had to but flying you can’t. I just worry I won’t last the flight when I book once and get all these negative thoughts. Once I complete the flight I feel great but it’s the months leading upto it.

I use to get thoughts of going mad worry me and being on a closed space also long haul I cant eat in flight food :winks:

phil06
11-07-18, 21:49
Anybody?

Deep Blue
13-07-18, 10:12
I share your anxiety about flying. I wish I never had to fly again but I have to. I once had a major panic attack on boarding a flight to L A & couldn't force myself into the middle of the plane seat I'd been allocated. They were going to put me off the plane as unfit to fly. I was saved by a kind flight attendant who found me an aisle seat.

Thi's is how I cope now; Get space. Book an aisle seat, upgrade to an extra leg room seat or exit row on shorter flights. Upgrade to premium economy on longer flights.
Before the flight, go to a private lounge. I joined Priority Pass, there are several companies to look at. This gives me access to a quiet peaceful place before boarding so I'might not so fraught before boarding.
Consider speaking to your GP. He may be willing to prescient a few diazepam to take the edge off anxiety before & during the flight. I find it helps just knowing I have this 'safety net' so I'm not so concerned that I'll throw a hissy fit on the plane.
On the plane, travel light, but make sure you have a couple of things that help to distract you, something to read, sudoku, music, whatever.
Avoid alcohol, it won't help.
I survived 2 flights from Auckland to L A then on to Miami, took 30 hrs from hotel to hotel. I did it! It was not pleasant but I coped after worrying about it for months before.
I really hope it all goes well for you.
Good luck.

phil06
16-07-18, 19:06
The question is do I fly or get the train? I could fly again at a later date if I don’t fly this time

Scass
16-07-18, 19:39
I share your anxiety about flying. I wish I never had to fly again but I have to. I once had a major panic attack on boarding a flight to L A & couldn't force myself into the middle of the plane seat I'd been allocated. They were going to put me off the plane as unfit to fly. I was saved by a kind flight attendant who found me an aisle seat.

Thi's is how I cope now; Get space. Book an aisle seat, upgrade to an extra leg room seat or exit row on shorter flights. Upgrade to premium economy on longer flights.
Before the flight, go to a private lounge. I joined Priority Pass, there are several companies to look at. This gives me access to a quiet peaceful place before boarding so I'might not so fraught before boarding.
Consider speaking to your GP. He may be willing to prescient a few diazepam to take the edge off anxiety before & during the flight. I find it helps just knowing I have this 'safety net' so I'm not so concerned that I'll throw a hissy fit on the plane.
On the plane, travel light, but make sure you have a couple of things that help to distract you, something to read, sudoku, music, whatever.
Avoid alcohol, it won't help.
I survived 2 flights from Auckland to L A then on to Miami, took 30 hrs from hotel to hotel. I did it! It was not pleasant but I coped after worrying about it for months before.
I really hope it all goes well for you.
Good luck.

You’ve had some really helpful advice. Only you can decide what to do.

If you know that you’re going to feel great once you get there, then just go ahead and book a flight. Concentrate on the excitement of it and not the negative. Remind yourself what a wonderful time you’re going to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phil06
18-07-18, 22:31
I have been feeling anxious every day about this as to whether i book a flight or not but I’m like this every time :ohmy:

Scass
18-07-18, 22:47
So book it. You know you’ll be fine.

phil06
18-07-18, 22:57
So book it. You know you’ll be fine.

Yes Rome is a short flight but I fear New York that’s 7 hours :ohmy:

Linda 10
19-07-18, 00:03
I am really scared about flying al always have been but have been all over the world with my husband and the help of diazepam from the doc ,you just have to believe you can do it and you will be with the person you love so that should make you feel a little bit more secure .If you go onto YouTube the is a pilot made a video to help people that are frightened about flying just book it and don't think about it if you can ( hope you do ).
Take care Linda. Good luck. Linda. X
:hugs:

phil06
19-07-18, 19:04
I usually book flights last minute I just don’t fancy going after honeymoon due to negative thoughts.

Do I let the anxiety win and get the train to Italy or do I fly and say well I managed spain in April?

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

I have a year to decide that’s not good as it’s a year to worry I know I will worry

phil06
22-07-18, 18:43
People were not supportive on another forum they said I was holding back my partner by not going on flights or booking them

GiantMogwai
22-07-18, 19:16
I have been feeling anxious every day about this as to whether i book a flight or not but I’m like this every time :ohmy:

Brussels or Paris by Eurostar is much more relaxing than flying and just as romantic. Up to you. :)

pulisa
22-07-18, 19:46
I'd go by train-Eurostar has plenty of attractive locations to offer. Who cares what other people think providing you are both happy and does it really matter? Why add additional anxiety to an already highly stressful situation-planning your wedding. It's your honeymoon/holiday and you can make it as luxurious/special as you want without having to fly anywhere. Plenty of time for flying later on if you feel more comfortable with the prospect then.

phil06
22-07-18, 21:35
I'd go by train-Eurostar has plenty of attractive locations to offer. Who cares what other people think providing you are both happy and does it really matter? Why add additional anxiety to an already highly stressful situation-planning your wedding. It's your honeymoon/holiday and you can make it as luxurious/special as you want without having to fly anywhere. Plenty of time for flying later on if you feel more comfortable with the prospect then.

Yes you are correct. A year ago I decided to get the Eurostar To Paris after first Flying there 4 years ago but since then I have flew to Barcelona and Berlin but I have been to Belgium and Germany and Holland by train which is good as many people fly there.

With Italy I can still go there but the train takes longer I just have to get over my anxiety with long train trips or using a public toilet on a train. My partner worries about lots of travelling with the train but like I say when I take the Eurostar I go from Edinburgh so that’s a good 4/5 hours by train and I’m use to it.

Rome and New York are my dream destinations to visit. I was hoping to try and do New York next few years but I can maybe book last min to avoid long periods of anxiety.

I find flights over to Dublin most relaxing as you are only in the air 30 mins which is better for me.

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

It’s hard as I have made this holiday seem to important as it’s honeymoon i worry I could regret it in years to come if I don’t say spend a long time in Rome but maybe a day visit by train would do.

pulisa
23-07-18, 08:13
I had a night in Henley-on -Thames for my honeymoon. I'm still with my OH after 37 years

My Dad and I did Rome in an afternoon by taxi. Why do you need to spend a long time in Rome? Just do what you feel comfortable with? No one is counting the number of days you spend on holiday (other than yourself)

phil06
23-07-18, 16:41
I had a night in Henley-on -Thames for my honeymoon. I'm still with my OH after 37 years

My Dad and I did Rome in an afternoon by taxi. Why do you need to spend a long time in Rome? Just do what you feel comfortable with? No one is counting the number of days you spend on holiday (other than yourself)

Cool so did you see all there was to see?

Time is a worry but mostly long train journeys that’s another one of my fears.

Long haul flights, regular flights and long trains are my issue that’s why I have thought well 5 hours to Turin is ok and 4 hours to Rome for a day trip still let’s me see the place and move onto my next trip. A lot of people said you can’t do Rome in a day but I did Amsterdam in a day before :ohmy:

I don’t know how stressful being on a train atleast 4 hours each day for 5 days would be ..perhaps it would be relaxing I feel it’s better than flying. At some point I have to make a choice I have a year but I can book before that. My only wish is Italy was easier to reach. Some people can fly all over all year round and not care but if you have anxiety like me it can mean months of stress

pulisa
23-07-18, 17:44
Oh yes, we had our fill of Rome. Seen one Coliseum, you've seen them all...:D

My daughter and I have done Paris and Brussels via Eurostar in day trips. Yes we are Philistines but we don't care! She is autistic so day trips are doable with the right preparation.

You can upgrade to 1st class on trains for a more comfortable journey and would avoid the hassle of airports/all that angst etc. Ultimately it's your choice though.

GiantMogwai
23-07-18, 18:25
Phil, Belgium is awesome as a holiday destination. Brussels is nice but Bruges is in my opinion one of the most romantic towns in Europe. Once you are in Belgium all the other towns are so easy to get to by train and all the journeys are short.

I've also been to Rome for a day. It was nice. Coliseum was ok. My favourite thing there was the Trevi Fountain. Most other things had such huge queues. Pizza was nice there but pizza is just as nice in Belgium and they have amazing range of beers.

Other towns in Belgium worth visiting are Antwerp, Leuven, and Louvain-la-Neuve. The last of these has a Tintin museum which is amazing.

phil06
23-07-18, 18:41
Phil, Belgium is awesome as a holiday destination. Brussels is nice but Bruges is in my opinion one of the most romantic towns in Europe. Once you are in Belgium all the other towns are so easy to get to by train and all the journeys are short.

I've also been to Rome for a day. It was nice. Coliseum was ok. My favourite thing there was the Trevi Fountain. Most other things had such huge queues. Pizza was nice there but pizza is just as nice in Belgium and they have amazing range of beers.

Other towns in Belgium worth visiting are Antwerp, Leuven, and Louvain-la-Neuve. The last of these has a Tintin museum which is amazing.

Yes I am visiting Ghent in September also visited Bruges. I have been round almost all of Belgium in a year as i took my first Eurostar trip last summer. So it’s great I can now get around more as I had 4 years where I never flew anywhere and just went on holiday around England.

I’m sure I will prefer Belgium but I’ve always fancied Rome but wish I could go for longer but if I can manage a day that would be a positive result for me. Now I have ventured to Belgium I have started exploring Holland by train and Germany. My target is to visit Italy and Switzerland next year and both can be done by train. I may change my mind on flying but I like to book last minute but that won’t work well for a honeymoon :blush:

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

If Rome can be done in a day it may be worth doing still

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

Oh yes, we had our fill of Rome. Seen one Coliseum, you've seen them all...:D

My daughter and I have done Paris and Brussels via Eurostar in day trips. Yes we are Philistines but we don't care! She is autistic so day trips are doable with the right preparation.

You can upgrade to 1st class on trains for a more comfortable journey and would avoid the hassle of airports/all that angst etc. Ultimately it's your choice though.

Yes some people also said just visit Milan and do Rome later but I don’t know. I looked at alternatives but given I’ve already been round Belgium and Germany and Holland I wanted to try Italy. I just get a little stressed being cooked up on a train or plane too long and worry about thoughts of going mad or feeling tired and drained so I end up worrying

pulisa
23-07-18, 19:28
You've done a hell of a lot already, Phil. I haven't done anything like that amount of travel but I don't feel the need-I can appreciate that you literally want to broaden your horizons. Your mental health is important though especially in the run up to your wedding-Italy isn't going anywhere and there's no rush or time limit as to when you can go. You've got your whole life ahead of you.

phil06
23-07-18, 19:31
You've done a hell of a lot already, Phil. I haven't done anything like that amount of travel but I don't feel the need-I can appreciate that you literally want to broaden your horizons. Your mental health is important though especially in the run up to your wedding-Italy isn't going anywhere and there's no rush or time limit as to when you can go. You've got your whole life ahead of you.

Yes I feel old though as I am 29 :huh: I’ve felt a big pressure on traveling before I have a family I mean if it was just one money should still be ok but some people say your life is more limited so this worries me if I can’t travel. I always liked trips down south but about a year ago I decided I wanted to travel the world I don’t know why really but I felt I had go see as many cities as possible like i say before I’m too old or have a family so it’s not great feeling this big pressure on myself :blush:

KK77
23-07-18, 21:03
Yes I feel old though as I am 29 :huh: I’ve felt a big pressure on traveling before I have a family I mean if it was just one money should still be ok but some people say your life is more limited so this worries me if I can’t travel. I always liked trips down south but about a year ago I decided I wanted to travel the world I don’t know why really but I felt I had go see as many cities as possible like i say before I’m too old or have a family so it’s not great feeling this big pressure on myself :blush:

And what does your partner want, or is it all just about you?

phil06
23-07-18, 21:06
And what does your partner want, or is it all just about you?

Yes she is quite indecisive so I end up having to make choices. I mean she would prefer to visit Italy by plane as it's quicker but she's willing to take the train. Witt my anxiety I do accommodate it a lot anytime I book flights it's been spur of the moment and I have to hand her the iPad to book it to relieve my anxiety.

pulisa
24-07-18, 08:29
Yes you are certainly getting on a bit at 29....Soon be time for a zimmer frame!!:winks:

I don't think your life will be over as you reach your thirties. There's no rush, Phil. Your anxiety/OCD will tell you if you're giving yourself unnecessary pressure. It looks to me as if you've got enough worries for now.

phil06
28-07-18, 23:37
I worry about the long train journeys 5 hours one day 4 hours there and back next i fear it would make me tired run down feel I will go mad or something I know it’s a trivial worry

Has anybody done a 4 hour there and back each way in a day and how did they find it? Problem is I try and keep my train journeys down to 2 hours unless it’s Edinburgh to London.

It’s my ocd again really I also fear going away longer than 5 days I really want to beat this and go away even a day longer one time but I have these ocd routines :blush:

pulisa
29-07-18, 08:18
I can understand that, Phil.

Yesterday I did Surrey to Leeds and back in one day. Left my local station at 6am and got to Leeds at 1015am . Left Leeds at 445pm and back home at 9pm. Loads of walking. I'm nearly 60 and travelled with my autistic daughter. We took all our own food for the day. I'd say it's certainly do-able if you plan carefully.

phil06
01-08-18, 06:49
My partner wants to go to Rome for longer so it leaves me which a difficult choice go to Milan and enjoy a relaxing train trip and go to Rome later or fly and get it over with.

Thing is once I fly to New York or Rome I can have a break from flying I mean I don’t know how I will feel i May fancy other places but I have a big list of places to go via train like Germany and Switzerland which would keep me busy.

It seems Rome is quite popular and lots to do people reckon I need to be there longer I can discuss this at therapy because I really do want to visit Rome anyway for my honeymoon and yes I could like the train but perhaps it can’t alwys be my way.

I mean some places you only visit once in a lifetime right? That said I’m already frustrated that two places I flew to Berlin and Barcelona I can’t visit more often and I tell myself I can possibly get the train there next time. I think given ive been there and seen the sights by partner wouldn’t mind that.

Positives of flying is I can visit Venice by train. Flying is also £500 pounds less it seems. It’s about goals I was determined to visit Barcelona a few months back so I spontaneously booked the flight.

Sometimes I wish I never had this travel bug but past year I’ve had the urge to just go to these cities since I’ve visted many in the UK. Now I feel I need to visit places in the world.

I get half as anxious about booking a flight to Dublin reason is you are only about 30-40 mins in the sky. I looked at an easy jet fear of flying course not sure if that will help much.

Rome by train is the most ambitious plan I have found to be honest. Barcelona can be done in 5 and a half hours from Paris without going mega day trips so
I can visit there by train if need be. Berlin is quite far it’s Germany is a big country. I do have mild ambitions to visit Chicago or Denmark but like I say my travel plans are mostly Rome and New York I may decide to relax my holiday plans. I flew to Paris in 2013 after that I went about 4 years only doing train trips as the flight had lots of turbulence :ohmy:

phil06
01-08-18, 21:10
Anybody?

Scass
01-08-18, 21:22
Only that you should do this for your wife, and try your absolute hardest to deal with your anxiety between now and then. It’ll be worth it.

phil06
02-08-18, 21:12
Only that you should do this for your wife, and try your absolute hardest to deal with your anxiety between now and then. It’ll be worth it.

I refuse to rule out getting the train but flying is an option too.

Is causing me lots of anxiety and can’t decide what to do :ohmy:

phil06
03-08-18, 20:15
Anybody? What can I do to rid myself of these thoughts about flying they come on a daily basis and I’m obsessed with this honeymoon?

KK77
04-08-18, 00:00
How do you feel therapy is going or have you stopped that now?

pulisa
04-08-18, 08:13
Speaking as an "old" person I would say that worrying about your honeymoon destination really isn't worth the angst. It's obviously affecting you badly. I'm sure your fiancée would prefer you to be mentally well rather than so churned up that you are just tormenting yourself on a daily basis over this?

You know how this will impinge on your OCD too. I hope you are still able to see your therapist because talking about this to her may help?

phil06
04-08-18, 19:29
Therapy is going fairly well first two sessions she gathered information the third one is about exposure so my next is a week on Monday.

I think it’s going ok but the flights I never discussed that in depth as I never had time but because I’ve had no new worries this month I can talk about it more.

It is affected me badly I mean I have a holiday next month and the month after and I admit I’ve barely have gave them much focus due to my anxiety about next years holidays.

Like I say I prefer to book flights short notice and I hate long train journeys can’t win.

pulisa
04-08-18, 19:40
For many people with anxiety going on holiday would be unthinkable so the fact that you do go on holiday regularly is very much a positive.

phil06
04-08-18, 20:50
For many people with anxiety going on holiday would be unthinkable so the fact that you do go on holiday regularly is very much a positive.

When I was at the height of my anxiety I couldn’t go outside after my breakdown but I can go on holiday now but i think the fear of flying is common with anxiety :huh:

pulisa
05-08-18, 08:13
When I was at the height of my anxiety I couldn’t go outside after my breakdown but I can go on holiday now but i think the fear of flying is common with anxiety :huh:

Yes it is so I don't think you should beat yourself up too much over this. It's about what your fiancée would like too and whether she is putting pressure on you to book flights. She may actually prefer a low key honeymoon after the expense and all the hard work of a wedding?

phil06
05-08-18, 13:40
Yes it is so I don't think you should beat yourself up too much over this. It's about what your fiancée would like too and whether she is putting pressure on you to book flights. She may actually prefer a low key honeymoon after the expense and all the hard work of a wedding?

No pressure and it’s not money we can afford either train option or flying despite train being double the price. She is quite indecisive on what to do so I make the choices and it’s really me in particular that wants something grand like going to Rome so it’s all down to me and the pressure I put myself under :blush:

pulisa
05-08-18, 14:04
Precisely. Maybe you don't need something grand? Whatever you choose will be special anyway. Why put yourself under so much pressure when you know it will cause so much unnecessary anxiety? What's the point?

phil06
05-08-18, 14:44
Precisely. Maybe you don't need something grand? Whatever you choose will be special anyway. Why put yourself under so much pressure when you know it will cause so much unnecessary anxiety? What's the point?

Because I’m on a mission to tour Europe I have been to most major cities in past year and Rome is the last one I mean there is more but I’ve done the Amsterdam and Paris ect I have targeted doing Rome and New York between now and 2020. It’s a personal pride thing I feel I need to do it as I’ve developed an urge to travel round the world well not everywhere but quite a lot of places :hugs:

pulisa
05-08-18, 17:21
At least having plans to travel would be a good counter to your solipsism ruminations. Much better to concentrate on a project like this rather than let your mind wander onto more extreme thoughts and ideas?

DustingMyselfOff
05-08-18, 18:25
Ugh, I can so relate to your dilemma about long travel. I have suffered with anxiety and OCD for decades and plane travel has always been pretty much a terrifying experience for me so I only did it when absolutely necessary. I have no desire to see the world and travel to exotic sites because the anxiety of the trip and the commute would ruin it all. If I had my way, I'd stay on my own property for the rest of my life and be happy.

BUT, my adult daughter got married and moved to the opposite coast of the US. I am on the the extreme east coast, she is on the extreme west coast. I only visited her once after her marriage because of the fear of travel and long flights, but now she has blessed me with a grandchild so I am in CONSTANT turmoil! I want to be a part of their lives, I want my grandchildren to know their grandmother, and I want to watch them grow, but the trips take SO MUCH OUT OF ME! I just got back from a week there on 5 days ago and I'm still suffering. I'm exhausted, anxious and depressed. And she has asked me to return in October when she gives birth to her second child, and asked if I would consider visiting for a week in November because her husband will be out of town on business and she'll be alone with two young children.

So far the compromise I've come up with in my head is that I will not travel there for the birth of her second child, but I desperately want to help her the week in November when she is home alone with a toddler, a newborn, and two dogs. I haven't even gotten over the stress and misery I suffered on this last flight and I'm already looking into the November flights which means I will get no break from the anxiety that leads up to the next trip. I'm already dreading it.

I unfortunately don't have much advice for you, I'm just here to let you know that you're not alone with the anxiety and pressure you feel about traveling. Our motives and incentives for going may be different, but we're both dealing with the conflict and turmoil of going or not going. Do we give in to the anxiety and do what's best for ourselves, or do we continue to push ourselves out of our comfort zone?

Either way, it sucks. :(
Sue

phil06
05-08-18, 19:05
At least having plans to travel would be a good counter to your solipsism ruminations. Much better to concentrate on a project like this rather than let your mind wander onto more extreme thoughts and ideas?

Well yes I read that having a goal or hobby is a good way to distract from all types of anxiety and even ocd so that’s true. I watch travel videos on YouTube to sort or zone out from a hard ways work.

My anxiety is a cycle right now I worried about the door being contaminated for weeks and now I’m back to Solipsism. So the good news is I can tell my theripst in a week the same stuff to try and get over reach issue the contamination to then flying to the Solipsism. Next week I may worry about the door again?

What I can say is my anxiety does go sometimes and I just have ocd like hand washing and more mild ocd thoughts. That’s often when I’m travelling on holiday more relaxed or when I’m not moving house.

For past 6 months I have had bad anxiety I moved house two times I believe this was the trigger? What triggered my Solipsism was I wondered why I got this house because I missed out on my dream house so I sort of wondered if things happen for a reason? Is it fate? At that stage I started serching the internet for answers :huh:

pulisa
05-08-18, 19:23
Sometimes things just happen because they do-nothing sinister. We can't control everything in our lives.

Sue, you have made the right compromise. I truly empathise with your travel dilemma but whatever your degree of anxiety that won't stop you from being a caring and devoted mother and grandmother. I admire your courage to travel there despite the toll it takes on you.

Does your daughter know the true extent of your anxiety? You've probably downplayed it for her benefit?

DustingMyselfOff
05-08-18, 20:08
Sometimes things just happen because they do-nothing sinister. We can't control everything in our lives.

Sue, you have made the right compromise. I truly empathise with your travel dilemma but whatever your degree of anxiety that won't stop you from being a caring and devoted mother and grandmother. I admire your courage to travel there despite the toll it takes on you.

Does your daughter know the true extent of your anxiety? You've probably downplayed it for her benefit?

You nailed it, Pulisa. I downplay it, not only for her benefit, but because I don't like to advertise to others how much I struggle with mental issues. I still have a deeply ingrained stigma attached to it that says people like me should be locked into a nuthouse.

This last trip I did tell her about my lifelong anxiety and the different drugs that we are now trying, and she is the one who went and picked up the prescription for a stronger tranquilizer at her local pharmacy. (I had contacted my doctor and told her I was in big trouble out there so she called in a 2-week supply of a stronger med).

My daughter does sympathize with the drain of traveling, not so much from the anxiety aspect, but the planning, packing, airport hassles, time zone changes, fatigue, and general disruption to life. It takes an entire day to get there and an entire day to get back. Even if I take a non-stop flight (6.5 hours) I then have a 2-hour car ride to the airport and back.

So yes, after the visit in November, I am seriously thinking about saying "no" more often and taking better care of myself rather than everyone else. As my doctor reminds me, "She is an adult, she made the decision to move across country (her husband's job mandated it) and she will find ways to manage with or without your help." But I'll take this one trip at a time, it just sucks that I'm already stressing about November so I need to somehow "let it go" for a while.

Thanks for always being here and replying to posts, Pulisa.
Sue

pulisa
05-08-18, 20:54
I'd be just the same as you in your position, Sue. I can't imagine how mentally and physically draining a journey of that nature would be for you. It's no mean feat and you must be absolutely shattered. I couldn't even begin to contemplate a repeat onslaught of a journey at this stage but I wouldn't have been able to attempt it in the first place so you must be much stronger mentally than you think! xx

DustingMyselfOff
06-08-18, 00:44
I'd be just the same as you in your position, Sue. I can't imagine how mentally and physically draining a journey of that nature would be for you. It's no mean feat and you must be absolutely shattered. I couldn't even begin to contemplate a repeat onslaught of a journey at this stage but I wouldn't have been able to attempt it in the first place so you must be much stronger mentally than you think! xx

Thanks for the kind words, and I find it hard to believe that you don't even attempt travel - guess I better go read up more about you through some of your postings. I just figured since you are a "senior member" that you've got it all figured out. Wouldn't that be nice, huh? :winks:

One of the things that people often say is "You must be strong to keep pushing yourself" and "Oh, but you got through it, how wonderful for you!" and my first reaction is "What's wonderful about it - it was torture the whole time, exhausting, draining, and terrifying!" I guess I should feel some sense of pride and accomplishment after surviving the really bad trips but I would much rather focus on ways to prevent them from happening in the future. I want to live a full life but it shouldn't always be so difficult and such a struggle. I'm on the pity-pot this week, so forgive me for feeling sorry for myself. My problems could be a lot worse.

Thanks for listening.
Sue

pulisa
06-08-18, 08:22
I do travel but only day trips and maybe the odd overnight one. I think "senior member" in my case means long term issues and overuse of this forum!!:D I certainly haven't got things figured!!

I know what you mean about enduring without pleasure. For me things don't get any easier with practice or experience but my aim is to be able to manage them and accept that it's ok to feel like this.

You're not on the pity-pot, Sue. Life is challenging for you as it is for me but we get on with things and do the best we can. You have certainly gone all out to help your daughter but don't let it be at the expense of your own mental health?
xx

DustingMyselfOff
07-08-18, 04:01
Great advice, Pulisa, and I'm really going to try to start putting my mental and physical health first. And I love what you said about it being your aim to be OK with feeling the way we do. I have always preached "Acceptance" and I guess it's time I accept that this is who I am, it's something I will probably always struggle with, but that it's all part of what makes me .... me.

I figured out today that possibly part of the reason that I am feeling so badly lately is the Gabapentin I started taking about 4 months ago. It worked great, for some things and turned me into a real social butterfly, but didn't work so great on general anxiety. And lately I have been SO TIRED and I have to wonder if it's the gabapentin, so I decided to start weaning off. Low and behold, the side affects of weaning off this stuff cause all kinds of lousy stuff, including fatigue, stomach issues, increased anxiety, and lots of crying. Check, check, check, and check. I'm going to keep slowly coming off of it - it did more harm than good.

Too bad the original poster of this thread hasn't been back - perhaps hearing our travel challenges could help him, or perhaps he's "cured" and doesn't log on anymore. Wouldn't THAT be nice!

Sue

phil06
07-08-18, 05:53
Too bad the original poster of this thread hasn't been back - perhaps hearing our travel challenges could help him, or perhaps he's "cured" and doesn't log on anymore. Wouldn't THAT be nice!

Sue

Im still hoping to go to Rome by flight particularly as my partner wants so
Spend more time there.

Not going has never been an option before I decided I was going to Germany and Spain by plane I pushed myself to go because I felt I really had to.

Ok I may only take a flight once a year but I can go plenty of other holidays by train.

Why Rome? It’s a romantic city and wanted to push the boat out because I want to visit capital cities. I wish I was better because the build up will still cause me anxiety I admit I always feel a greater achievement when I fly but I am more relaxed going by train.

I have set myself a goal of New York after Rome after that I have no great desire to fly anywhere I mean you never know but usually over the years I go for a quick 30 min flight to Dublin that causes me less anxiety.

So yes some how I probably have to go kind of a because well if everybody else could afford to go they probably would like some people enjoy flying :huh:

pulisa
07-08-18, 08:27
You mustn't think of everybody else-if you and your partner have chosen Rome as your honeymoon destination then it's a relatively short flight and manageable. The positives will outweigh the negatives of anticipatory anxiety-it will be a means to an end and you will be able to have more time there if that's what you both want.
I'd say don't give the flying bit too much importance because it's the holiday/honeymoon that matters.

Sue, good luck with coming off gabapentin-in my opinion it's the right decision.

DustingMyselfOff
08-08-18, 03:50
Thanks, Pulisa... you are always so supportive - it means a lot. Do you have any personal experience with Gabapentin?

FYI, I received an e-mail from one of the airlines I regularly use to go visit my daughter and they are running a 3-day sale in which the flights are crazy cheap if I buy now. So my flight to and from the west coast is booked, purchased and paid for.

I will go out there to meet my new grandchild the first week in November, help my daughter with her two children while she's recovering from her c-section, and then I will take all future trips based on how "I" feel about going, not based on the need of others. I have committed to this one and I will do it, but after that.... time will tell.

So grateful for this forum and for the wonderful people who participate.
Sue

pulisa
08-08-18, 08:36
That's a very sensible and self-protective plan, Sue. You're going to support your daughter when she gives birth and for a short period afterwards and I'm sure she'll be so pleased and grateful to have her Mum to look after both her and her family but after that it's down to you and your decision as to when you feel you can visit. It's a bonus that you got such a bargain price-wise for November because it must be an expensive business quite apart from anything else!

My only experience with gabapentin is re neuropathic pain and I was warned off it when doctors admitted that the side effects were bad and that there can be an addictive property to it.

phil06
13-08-18, 21:00
I told my theripst about flying today she said I did well getting on flights and some people in past she has seen have never flown before. She said about no guarantee about what will happen on a plane or safety but did say it’s generally quite safe. She said I can choose to not fly in my life or I can fly.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

The theripst thinks because I got over my health anxiety there is hope for me

phil06
26-08-18, 22:05
Where I’m at the moment is not wanting to book Rome. I have instead looked at another train holiday which yes is disappointing but perhaps the anxiety of flying isn’t ideal at wedding? I hate that anxiety can win though

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

It would delay my trip to Rome until a later date which is disappointing

phil06
01-09-18, 23:19
I’m still agonising over what to do about this

I want to see Italy at any cost and I worry getting train will be too tiring and again if I fly it would increase my anxiety at the wedding. I’ve drawn up some alternatives but I have it in my head I need to see Italy. All my alternative plans involved lots of travelling.

I’m actually away on holiday in a week which is 6 hours go Belgium and I am going places on train. However im not sure how I would feel about 6 hours from Paris to Italy and on another train to for 3 hour next day.

So do I fly and deal with the anxiety/delay going to Italy and feel dissapoinwd it take the train and see how I get on and hope it’s not to tiring?

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

I have until around December to decide but im obsessed with this travel goals right now I feel I need to see these places and I worry a lesser destination won’t be good enough.

pulisa
02-09-18, 08:21
Why do you feel you need to see these particular places? What do you consider to be a "lesser" destination?

Are you trying to pack everything in before you hit your thirties and "settle down"?

phil06
02-09-18, 10:03
Why do you feel you need to see these particular places? What do you consider to be a "lesser" destination?

Are you trying to pack everything in before you hit your thirties and "settle down"?

Yes that’s totally it want to go it before 30’s I may not settle down anyway I may still travel but I don’t know my fincncial circumstances like my mortgage in 5 years or maybe I will just be like I can’t be bothered anymore? Like I use to go to London every year and loved the buzz of the big city now with all the stuff on here he news I rather avoid London.

I’m really struggling to see life past 30 I feel like what do I do next? Most people have had a family and settled down. Im not sure that’s me really I have bought a nice new house and getting married perhaps that’s enough for now.

But anyway I do feel a big pressure to travel just in case I can’t afford to in future. These trips are costing a lot of money.

Well I have the urge to see capital cities like I could have took train to Germany but I wanted Berlin so in the end I booked a flight to Berlin. I later did Germany by train. Perhaps it’s my ocd again wanting to do capital cities before anything else. I could fly to Rome when I’m more comfertable.

I’m terrible at making decisions and so is my partner so I don’t know whether to go left or right. I feel Flying should wait until after wedding but If I want frequent trips to europe I need to take the train to ease my anxiety. I have a very bad habit of booking my next holiday when I’m actually on one sitting in a hotel and sometimes it stops me enjoying the current one.

I have been holidaying for 6 years mostly to London and down south as I say but I got an urge to take the train to Europe and since that I’ve had this travel bug. :unsure:

But yes I wish I never felt so much pressure to travel.

pulisa
02-09-18, 13:42
You have mentioned before that you are less anxious when on holiday and I'm wondering whether you are feeling the pressure to book holidays to escape from the issues which stress you out at home? My advice would be to concentrate on one trip at a time and your priority is your honeymoon. Why not concentrate on this very special holiday and put other travel plans on hold for the time being? There must be a lot to arrange and think about for the wedding itself so no need to torment yourself with "time running out" scenarios.

phil06
02-09-18, 14:03
You have mentioned before that you are less anxious when on holiday and I'm wondering whether you are feeling the pressure to book holidays to escape from the issues which stress you out at home? My advice would be to concentrate on one trip at a time and your priority is your honeymoon. Why not concentrate on this very special holiday and put other travel plans on hold for the time being? There must be a lot to arrange and think about for the wedding itself so no need to torment yourself with "time running out" scenarios.

Yes sometimes I go away to escape pressure but also I go away as it’s something to look forward to takes my mind off anxiety.

So what’s the best solution fly/train or train to somewhere else I really can’t decide I’m just not sure if longer train journeys are too ambitious or sensible if I don’t like flying. I could fly later but I do worry I will have years of regret if
I go Rome after the wedding on a flight surely I would say why did I not go for honeymoon?

At the moment I go 6 hours down to Belgium or Paris and the best I do is 2 hours each way so for me to take a longer train causes me anxiety as I worry I will be too stressed maybe I am over worrying?

pulisa
02-09-18, 14:09
Maybe you are, Phil. You can do a lot more than many people with an anxiety disorder, including me. I think you are giving yourself unnecessary pressure but this is probably because you feel you have to?

phil06
02-09-18, 16:20
Maybe you are, Phil. You can do a lot more than many people with an anxiety disorder, including me. I think you are giving yourself unnecessary pressure but this is probably because you feel you have to?

That’s true but I went through stages of agrophobia just two years ago so it wasn’t always easy.

Problem is I feel anxious every day at the moment it’s great I’m going on holidays but I wish I never felt so anxious every day :huh:

I want to see New York and rome and these are further away but feel I have to do them.

phil06
03-09-18, 22:31
I’m toying with the idea of flying again and can’t seem to commit to long trains.

I don’t know why both scenarios are making me anxious. I feel like tossing a coin to decide what to do if I don’t go to Italy I feel beaten.

This is not new I had this issue before I eventually flew to Berlin I exhausted every train option and quickly ruled it out due to too much travelling. I the end I booked a flight to Dublin and around ten months later I got the courage to fly it Berlin. :doh:

phil06
04-09-18, 13:55
My theripst has said I should fly book the fight and be done with it as she says I’ve been anxious about booking it anyway so wouldn’t matter she thinks I should deal with the plane anxiety near the time and not worry until it comes round..

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

She also says I have all the tools to beat this anxiety because I’ve flew before and quite recently

Scass
04-09-18, 16:19
She’s quite right. You’re worrying about booking it, and you also said you’ll worry when you book it. So why not at least have something positive at the end of all this worrying.

pulisa
04-09-18, 17:46
She's spot on. You can do more than you think, Phil. Anticipatory anxiety is the bugbear here.

phil06
04-09-18, 18:56
She's spot on. You can do more than you think, Phil. Anticipatory anxiety is the bugbear here.

I know it’s true but it doesn’t mean I will book these flights for sure. I have ten months yet so I will book in maybe 6 months time maybe less. I may get train or go somewhere else or fly.

I explained to her I was going to book Berlin last January I ended up in Dublin before deciding to book Berlin ten months later.

The reality is people fly and I can’t go my whole life avoiding it. I do enjoy getting the train so it allows me to keep my options more open when I go on holiday paris is never too far away.

It’s a bit like the wedding suit I feel I will buy another suit most likely. It seems this wedding these decisions stag party, honeymoon and suit will be very last minute but so be it because I can’t make a decision now.

So yes perhaps it’s pointless worrying now she says if you had tests results coming back you could worry for a day or three weeks so she said Flying is the same. I may have to put these worries to the side for now as it’s not healthy for me however I may have to revisit this post next year to see what my choice is going to be :huh:

Scass
04-09-18, 19:05
Did you say you might put your worries aside for now? Is that something you find easy to do?

Also, are flights not cheaper now?

pulisa
04-09-18, 19:29
I thought your therapist had advised you not to post on anxiety forums?

phil06
04-09-18, 20:07
I thought your therapist had advised you not to post on anxiety forums?

Not as such maybe earlier sessions she wasn’t keen on me googling and stuff.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

Did you say you might put your worries aside for now? Is that something you find easy to do?

Also, are flights not cheaper now?

They are not on sale yet as it’s Ryanair.

Putting it off easier? Probably not. I don’t know how things will pan out but I have two holidays by train before the year is out so I have to try and enjoy these. :huh:

pulisa
04-09-18, 20:26
That's pretty good going, Phil. I think you try to take on too much then panic.

phil06
04-09-18, 22:01
That's pretty good going, Phil. I think you try to take on too much then panic.

I do feel after my New York and Rome plans my flying will take a back seat same with train trips right now it’s about seeing as many cities as possible and perhaps most likely by train visit places but maybe stay in one place so it’s less pressure on myself.

I don’t know why I believe it’s because I fear being 30 so like I said other day I need to squeeze as much in as possible :ohmy:

Scass
05-09-18, 07:17
Not as such maybe earlier sessions she wasn’t keen on me googling and stuff.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

They are not on sale yet as it’s Ryanair.

Putting it off easier? Probably not. I don’t know how things will pan out but I have two holidays by train before the year is out so I have to try and enjoy these. :huh:

But you just said it like it was the easiest thing in the world! And that’s how you conquer anxiety!

You do seem to flit from one anxiety to another. So maybe by just ignoring the anxiety you’ll start to fear it less?

phil06
05-09-18, 22:35
But you just said it like it was the easiest thing in the world! And that’s how you conquer anxiety!

You do seem to flit from one anxiety to another. So maybe by just ignoring the anxiety you’ll start to fear it less?

Not sure about ignoring the anxiety but it’s ocd I have which you dont need much anxiety for it to fluster. It’s ocd thoughts should I fly should I not should I wear suit ect is something contaminated and the anxiety bounces off it because I stress :ohmy:

pulisa
06-09-18, 08:35
Not sure I agree with that, Phil. I'd say your OCD and your anxiety are very much linked. Your anxiety over flying, what to wear at your wedding, your "new" age, your need to travel everywhere before you get old and boring...All this anxiety will impinge on your contamination issues and the fear generated by the solipsism issues which must confuse you.

phil06
06-09-18, 19:25
Not sure I agree with that, Phil. I'd say your OCD and your anxiety are very much linked. Your anxiety over flying, what to wear at your wedding, your "new" age, your need to travel everywhere before you get old and boring...All this anxiety will impinge on your contamination issues and the fear generated by the solipsism issues which must confuse you.

Some of the contamination worries have eased e.g the letter box.

I wouldn’t denay that I have multiple issues but don’t most anxiety suffers worry about more then 1 thing?

The need to travel isn’t anxiety based. The solispism is psychology based but it causes me anxiety.

Like I say I definatley have ocd I don’t believe I have much anxiety I’d say only 10% right now. The problem is I moved house twice and have a wedding so it increased my ocd level from about 20% to 90%. I have been in this house a good few months now and the anxiety hasn’t gone. I do wonder what is keeping the anxiety going? Perhaps the stress triggered a new level of ocd for me. Everyone is ocd related because I worry and get negative thoughts I don’t get panic or health anxiety much right now.

So yes it’s in a way good it’s mostly ocd as it would be worse dealing with panic. The ocd I have encountered in the past 3 years has been very high compared to what I was dealing with before. The perfectionism comes from regret of mistakes I’ve made in the past e.g in my old house ect.

Flying anxiety is a difficult one as I can fly I would like to get over my fears of not going on holiday more than 5 days and also switching hotels and long trains what you advise for that as I worry about going mad if I am tired or on a train too long or I worry about changing hotels due to dirty laundry ocd and I would have to keep things separate. I last changed hotels in 2013 when my ocd was much lower.

pulisa
06-09-18, 19:37
Anxiety levels at 10%? I'm surprised that you think this due to your current issues.

phil06
06-09-18, 19:41
Anxiety levels at 10%? I'm surprised that you think this due to your current issues.

Yes honestly my theripst says I should rate she gives me thought records to do each month.

Yes my anxiety can reach higher levels but day to day I have ocd thoughts many of them silly which I can bash off and dismiss but sadly I’m not at the stage of being able to bash other ones off. She says they are thoughts and not fact which I see where she is getting at because I can see how my mind is able to tell a story and because I have the thought I believe it but I feel im on the right size track to fixing this.

pulisa
06-09-18, 19:42
Good. What does she feel about your solipsism angst?

phil06
06-09-18, 19:49
Good. What does she feel about your solipsism angst?

She said I can see touch smell people and see birth records that’s proof but in The other topic you will see Terry disputes these as being any proof at all?

pulisa
06-09-18, 19:53
That's concrete proof. You are struggling with abstract ideas and uncertainty.

phil06
06-09-18, 19:58
That's concrete proof. You are struggling with abstract ideas and uncertainty.

Proof of what? I’m not the only one suffering with these abstract ideas and uncertainty is an anxiety based problem too.

pulisa
06-09-18, 20:34
Two good reasons not to get immersed in the whole solipsism debate?

phil06
06-09-18, 21:06
Two good reasons not to get immersed in the whole solipsism debate?

And what reasons are they?

pulisa
06-09-18, 21:13
Abstract ideas and uncertainty can both cause anxiety.

I've said enough, Phil. I'm sure I haven't helped you but I'm not sure what/who can really online. I think your therapist is your best bet and consistency of responses. The internet is a lottery when it comes to deep issues.

phil06
06-09-18, 21:32
Abstract ideas and uncertainty can both cause anxiety.

I've said enough, Phil. I'm sure I haven't helped you but I'm not sure what/who can really online. I think your therapist is your best bet and consistency of responses. The internet is a lottery when it comes to deep issues.

Yes you are correct that’s why I quit ocd uk forums because people were not helping how I was feeling yes they may have meant well but some posts were quite nasty and and you are right when it comes to solispism I could have a very helpful reply to one that makes me worse. There is no consistency with the responses I think that’s why she’s keen for me to avoid forms.

Like I say I believe the theripst is quite good because she seems to have a good knowledge of cbt.

But you are right when it comes to a panic attack people are often helpful but deep issues people have strong views. Problem is I don’t see the theripst often enough she is keen on more frequent sessions but my finances can’t afford that..

pulisa
07-09-18, 08:35
You may decide that your need for therapy as a long term investment outweighs your need to travel frequently/replace household items/spend money on house improvements which may not be necessary etc etc?

Forums have their place but they are limited in the help they can offer. Regular face to face personalised therapy sessions for deep rooted complex issues would give you the opportunity to learn ways to manage your fears without having to consult the internet or use forums to seek out "answers".

phil06
07-09-18, 23:38
You may decide that your need for therapy as a long term investment outweighs your need to travel frequently/replace household items/spend money on house improvements which may not be necessary etc etc?

Forums have their place but they are limited in the help they can offer. Regular face to face personalised therapy sessions for deep rooted complex issues would give you the opportunity to learn ways to manage your fears without having to consult the internet or use forums to seek out "answers".

Yes back to my issue I have been thinking of flying before wedding get it over with getting train is all very well but long train journeys are making Me anxious and I fear going mad.

I feel the need to reach Italy I don’t care how long I am there and I can’t win sometimes I think ok I will fly then I think train and I try and delay thinking of it but can’t I have to make a choice eventually.

I do fear how i will cope enclosed in a plane to go to New York for 7 hours it will be hell :ohmy:

But yes Italy is a quick flight train is a long Journey like I say I am struggling to deal with a long train for years I’ve booked the quick train to London not the long one. I remember at some point I wondered if I can go all the travelling if I did now but I’m at new stage I don’t know if I should try fly when it suits but keep my train journeys limited to what I do now or if I can expand and go further?

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Would it be cheating if I fly to Italy before the wedding as a normal holiday to save anxiety near the time?

phil06
08-09-18, 11:08
So yes I’m thinking of going to Rome now as soon as February and fly and get it over with is that a good solution as my anxiety will be a bit less going before wedding?

pulisa
08-09-18, 12:45
Would this be another holiday or purely a flying exposure with a quick return flight home? What does your fiancée think about all this? Why not ask her for advice rather than on here because it very much affects her too?

phil06
08-09-18, 13:24
Would this be another holiday or purely a flying exposure with a quick return flight home? What does your fiancée think about all this? Why not ask her for advice rather than on here because it very much affects her too?

Not sure I think another holiday I went off the idea of a long trip to Italy anyway so quick suits. If I never flew this time and got the train I would probably fly to Dublin to test my anxiety.

And she isn’t sure what to do :unsure: usually I make the choices

pulisa
08-09-18, 17:05
Can you do these flying phobia sessions anywhere near you, Phil? You go for a short flight just to teach you how to manage the anxiety.

phil06
08-09-18, 22:30
Can you do these flying phobia sessions anywhere near you, Phil? You go for a short flight just to teach you how to manage the anxiety.

Yes there’s an easy jet fear of flying course it’s class room based and a flight too it costs though it’s an option.

To be honest aslong as I still get on plane I’m good. I have a goal of New York by 2020. I’m not sure how I will do it once I get Italy done with I will probably be ocd’ing over that.

What should my goal be the occasional flight or frequent flyer?

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

How do I beat my fear of longer train journeys ? Or longer holidays than 5 days

pulisa
09-09-18, 08:25
Do you really need to be a frequent flyer? Could you aim for being able to just book a flight without having all the anticipatory anxiety? You're worrying about destinations/flight times etc etc-as regards New York do you actually want to visit the place for enjoyment or is it a "need" that you feel you "must" fulfil?

What do you fear about longer holidays? I know food was an issue but would you fear being away from home for too long? Is it what other people would say if you didn't go on a longer holiday? What is it about 5 days which makes this amount of time safe?

phil06
09-09-18, 12:57
Do you really need to be a frequent flyer? Could you aim for being able to just book a flight without having all the anticipatory anxiety? You're worrying about destinations/flight times etc etc-as regards New York do you actually want to visit the place for enjoyment or is it a "need" that you feel you "must" fulfil?

What do you fear about longer holidays? I know food was an issue but would you fear being away from home for too long? Is it what other people would say if you didn't go on a longer holiday? What is it about 5 days which makes this amount of time safe?

Hmm not sure I’ve always wanted to visit New York from a young age so I feel I need to go.

Not sure what I fear it’s a mental block when I first met my partner it took me lot to go away just for one night. Around 2014 I went away for about 4/5 days which I enjoyed but I don’t like leaving dirty washing too long and yes I feel my house is my comfort I really can’t pin point why 5 days is my limit it may mean I have to stick to 5 days for now until I can change how I think.

I also have a mental block with longer train journeys but I feel I can do public transport for that time it will also help my anxiety over a long flight to New York.

So yes the issue is this mental block either booking a flight, long train and going away longer than 5 days so how would I tackle that when it’s like a wall in my head which says don’t do it?

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

My partner insists Italy has to be a honeymoon so I can’t fly before so it means I may need a long train journey?

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

I think the Italy issue has become a severe ocd for me and I can see me having to delay going there for a bit same with New York..

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/types/travel

Could I have travel anxiety?

pulisa
09-09-18, 13:26
Personally I wouldn't break things down into categorising what type of anxiety you have. You have an anxiety disorder which affects your lifestyle. I know you say you have low anxiety so feel free to challenge me on this?

I have a "thing" about leaving dirty washing behind but this is more a need to get everything done so that I don't have anything "hanging over me" for when I get back. I would worry about it for the entire time otherwise. My life is a battle to stay on top of things anyway-just how anxiety affects me. The last time I was away from home for more than 5 days I was in a psychiatric hospital so I'm not the one to advise you on this!

Again just my view but I think you should concentrate on making Italy your honeymoon destination. No need for any practice runs beforehand-don't blow things out of proportion in your mind? I think you will be surprised with what you can manage. There will be a lot to think about other than travel in the run up to the wedding and you and your new wife will be travelling together on a wonderful holiday. You said that once you were on the plane you are fine and it's a relatively short flight. Just narrow things down, plan Italy and forget about all the other destinations for the time being. Plenty of time for these in the years to come.

phil06
09-09-18, 16:24
Personally I wouldn't break things down into categorising what type of anxiety you have. You have an anxiety disorder which affects your lifestyle. I know you say you have low anxiety so feel free to challenge me on this?

I have a "thing" about leaving dirty washing behind but this is more a need to get everything done so that I don't have anything "hanging over me" for when I get back. I would worry about it for the entire time otherwise. My life is a battle to stay on top of things anyway-just how anxiety affects me. The last time I was away from home for more than 5 days I was in a psychiatric hospital so I'm not the one to advise you on this!

Again just my view but I think you should concentrate on making Italy your honeymoon destination. No need for any practice runs beforehand-don't blow things out of proportion in your mind? I think you will be surprised with what you can manage. There will be a lot to think about other than travel in the run up to the wedding and you and your new wife will be travelling together on a wonderful holiday. You said that once you were on the plane you are fine and it's a relatively short flight. Just narrow things down, plan Italy and forget about all the other destinations for the time being. Plenty of time for these in the years to come.

I personally believe there too much pressure on the wedding now and honeymoon personally I believe Italy is too much stress but still time to see what happens. Sometimes the anxiety wins but I accept that it’s a difficult condition. I may regret not going but hopefully once I go to Italy I soon forget that I never went and only remember the time I did go.

I can manage but it would be a bit risky and expensive to book days before the wedding? My anxiety is anticipation and I feel rotten at the airport too. Booking means months of worry for me. Italy yes it’s possible at some point but I realise New York may be more difficult.

I have two holidays before the wedding next year so like I say I can go early or go somewhere else before that Italy is just a mental block right now it may even be years before I get there :blush:

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

I’ve decided exposure is best way

If I take train to Switzerland for 2 days I can see Milan in 3 hours for a day trip. Every train trip is no more than 4 hours as it’s 4 hours to Switzerland

Then go somewhere more relaxing like Belgium for honeymoon and possibly do an exposure of going to Rome by train but not commit to it yet and do an exposure to Dublin by flight as it’s short

This way it keeps a lid on anxiety if I feel Rome by train is too much wedding over with I should be more relaxed anyway so it’s a win win.

Reason I would go to Milan before wedding is Switzerland all the hotels the air con seems broke so I would have to go when it’s cooler.

pulisa
09-09-18, 18:00
This is so complicated, Phil. Can't you just concentrate on the honeymoon?

phil06
09-09-18, 18:48
This is so complicated, Phil. Can't you just concentrate on the honeymoon?

Yes I can go back to Italy later in year if need be. Honeymoon Belgium to avoid flying.

More complicated but atleast I see Italy I mean I wanted to see Switzerland next year too :ohmy:

Scass
09-09-18, 19:22
Phil what are you planning to do in Italy?

I worry that your desire to travel is a compulsion and not something you do for pleasure.

pulisa
09-09-18, 19:24

I worry that your desire to travel is a compulsion and not something you do for pleasure.

I agree, Scass.

phil06
09-09-18, 19:34

See the sights of Rome but I did my research on Milan and fancy the sights of Milan too.

But yes I am a bit ocd about seeing this places and it could be a compulsion but it’s not bad travelling I get a bit bored of this country.

I’m away on holiday tomorrow to three counties so it’s become a trend for me the past year I have decided I need to travel :ohmy:

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

I use to go on uk holidays for pleasure as I do feel relaxed going away

Scass
09-09-18, 19:42
Well that’s good. I mean, there are worse things you can do I suppose. But also, you shouldn’t put so much pressure on yourself.

Enjoy your holiday.

phil06
09-09-18, 19:48
Well that’s good. I mean, there are worse things you can do I suppose. But also, you shouldn’t put so much pressure on yourself.

Enjoy your holiday.

Yes you are right I want to ease this pressure turning 30 has put me in travel mode I know this can happen to some people I wanted to squeeze as much in before 30.

It’s a bit mad for me travelling as years ago it’s something I had no desire to do and I was happy to maybe go the odd trip abroad when I met my partner.

After 2019/2020 I plan to slow the pace down a bit as it’s not good for the bank balance. I feel a bit like a celebrity that goes on tour to various cities for concerts so I will plan some future holidays to stay in one single place. I think that may ease some of the anxiety and pressure.

pulisa
09-09-18, 20:40
You're not quite ancient yet, Phil! No need to book a Saga holiday!:D

But I do think you would be happier/less pressurised focussing on a single destination otherwise it all gets overwhelming and you have too many questions and not enough answers.

phil06
09-10-18, 14:24
I was thinking of booking a short flight to Dublin in a few weeks as it’s cheap there and back in a day is this a good idea to combat my flying anxiety?