PDA

View Full Version : Question about Fluoxetine with Diazepam

LockedShut
31-07-07, 00:25
I got a change of meds today! Fluoxetine (or generic prozac apparently)... I'm on 20mg a day.

I forogt to ask my doctor so I'll ask here. I've been going to the dentist recently, a nervous patient, so I was given a bottle of 5mg diazepam. I'm supposed to take one 5mg pill the night before my dentist appointment and another 5mg pill an hour before the appointment.

I've looked online but all the sites are saying different things. Can I take these two pills together? I only take the dizepam 2 or 4 times a week, and I've only got 2 or 3 more appointments at the dentists.

Any advice :) ?
xo

gauss101
31-07-07, 06:28
Hiya,
For what its worth, I've been on two mg of diaziam a day for years. This is more of a psychological crutch than medication. Knowing I've taken my tablet each day means that I am less likely to feel panicky.(Well it seems to work for me)
The 5mg tablet before you go to bed is to help you relax and sleep. It isn't a sleeping pill but it will help, particularly if you have never taken them before.
Equally, one hour before you go to the dentist the other tablet has time to "kick in" and calm your nerves.
I wouldn't advise taking 10mg in one hit, as it is quite powerful although the thought of sitting in the dentists chair, unconcious, may seem an ideal solution. Diazipam is just valium by another name.
If you are worried about the visit do what I do and think of all the things you have to do that day. How you will do them, when, and ignore what is going on around you. Anticipation is always far worse than the actual event.
Good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it.
Tel

blackie
31-07-07, 09:58
Hiya hun,
Its always best to ask your doctor first. Cant you give him a ring?
I have taken floroxatine with loazopram which is simmiler to Diazepam and i have taken seroxac (another ssri) with diazepam and was fine.
But always worth double cheaking.
Blackie

Jimbo
31-07-07, 10:25
Hi Xo,

From experience it is fine. Often Diazepam is prescribed in the early stages of starting anti-depressants as the initial side effects can make your anxiety increase temporarily.

My advice with diazepam is not to start taking them regularily as they are very addictive and can cause a lot of problems in the future if you take them for a long time.

If you need reassurance perhaps give the doc a call.

Jim :hugs:

LockedShut
31-07-07, 11:29
I've been searching the forums on here and I've found a few people who have been prescribed diazepam and fluoxetine at the same time, so I'm sure it'll be alright. Besides, I don't take the diazepam regularly, just twice a week, before dentists. :)

nomorepanic
31-07-07, 19:59
I have taken Prozac and Diazepam at the same time and it was perfectly ok - the doc knew I was on both.

LockedShut
31-07-07, 21:31
Thanks a lot :)

I rang NHS Direct today (practically on first-name basis now!) and they confirmed it's alright. I figured it would be but wanted to be absolutely sure. I get paranoid about pills I take, ever since I had an allergic reaction to penicillin when I was 14!!

But thanks for your advice :)
xo