PDA

View Full Version : Long-term heartburn and silent reflux..terrified I have esophageal cancer

Ronan23
10-07-18, 14:13
'm a 27-year-old male with a ~3-4 year history of intermittent GERD symptoms and a 1-2 year history of LPR symptoms. My heartburn comes and goes, and it's more pronounced when I drink over one coffee in a day.

I first noticed LPR-type symptoms in October 2016 when I was regurgitating foul-smelling bits of food and experiencing painful swallowing for around 10 days. The painful swallowing resolved upon treatment with a PPI.

However, I've continued to experience intermittent symptoms. Heartburn returns 3-4 times per month, particularly when I overindulge in trigger food/drinks. LPR is persistent, with an almost daily globus sensation in my throat and a sour taste in my mouth, and it worsens with more caffeine intake. Painful swallowing hasn't returned though.

I have an endoscopy on July 27. I have experienced no other symptoms such as weight loss or coughing up blood. I would just like some input on how likely it might be that I have esophageal cancer? I am quite a worrier and the fact this has gone on for quite some time at my young age has me terrified they'll find something.

Fishmanpa
10-07-18, 14:24
Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Read you own thread...

My heartburn comes and goes, and it's more pronounced when I drink over one coffee in a day.

The painful swallowing resolved upon treatment with a PPI.

Heartburn returns 3-4 times per month, particularly when I overindulge in trigger food/drinks

sour taste in my mouth, and it worsens with more caffeine intake

So, at 27, taking into account my statement and what you're written, I think you know the deal.

Positive thoughts

Hopeless2
10-07-18, 14:55
Dont worry i have the same symptom of globus sensation i was afraid of cancer but after the endoscopy it turned out severe acid reflux with an inflammation in the last part of eosophegas