PDA

View Full Version : Why must renting be so difficult?

.Poppy.
10-07-18, 15:09
Sorry in advance, I just need to rant.

My current roommate (best friend) and I signed a lease for a house we were going to live in together next year. We never paid the security deposit and the landlord has been advertising the home as for rent on multiple websites (regularly, with new posts). A few days later my friend got a job offer in South Dakota that is too good to pass up - so now we're caught in a web of trying to get out of a lease. I had to do this before and my landlord at the time was AWESOME about it - this one seems like he's going to be terrible. He wants to meet in person to "discuss options" and naturally I'm terrified.

I also get the pleasure of finding a new place to rent. I have some options, thankfully, but most are just out of my price point so I have to see who is willing to negotiate down to a lower price. And ideally I will find this new place to live before August. :unsure:

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-18, 16:19
From his point of view it's a nuisance and may involve some costs. But it's not you that's causing him the problem anyway so I would hope any frustration he has is with your friend and he should see that you have also been let down.

It could be he's been messed around a lot in the past so he's less positive than your previous landlord but when he sees you being courteous & respectful hopefully he will be more open minded.

It's like when you accept a job, get a better offer and have to turn the other one down. It's more hassle for the employer but it's just business and they are only making themselves more frustrated by getting bothered by it.

.Poppy.
10-07-18, 19:01
Hi Terry.

Thanks. I'm not totally unhappy about the idea of living on my own, but house hunting again is going to be a nightmare. I just want to be done.

It's good to think about it as "just business" though. That's helpful on both ends.

MyNameIsTerry
11-07-18, 17:51
Have you checked out your liability, the laws surrounding tenancy and any cooling off periods? Just in case a landlord tries to pull a stunt?

If you are unsure at the meet you can always say you want to check something out. They may take that to mean a lack of trust in them but when it comes to contracts it's always a good idea to read them outside of the situation rather than be pressured in a meet. That way the advantage to the "seller" diminishes. And it can be important to get a second opinion, especially with you being younger and gaining experience of rentals.

.Poppy.
12-07-18, 18:57
Thanks again Terry. We both remembered something saying that you had so many days after signing the lease to pay the deposit, but we can't remember where we read that.

We're meeting with him today at 4 so I hope it goes smoothly. I just want this whole mess to be behind me.