PDA

View Full Version : Scary visual disturbance, please offer me help and support

pray4me
15-03-17, 17:52
Hello All,
After reading this forum for more than a year, I finally decided to join. This is my first post. I am typically a very private person, and I am only posting because I have nowhere else to turn to. I have had health anxiety since 2002, mainly related to neurological diseases. I have been able to snap out of it before and have even gone years without the anxiety. But in late 2014 it cam back and has gradually been building ever since.

It started with someone commenting on how skinny I looked and that I should get myself checked out. I think they were implying I had cancer. My mother had been recently diagnosed with a chronic form of blood cancer so this was enough to trigger a whole year's worth of lymph node obsession and anxiety. While I was in the midst of this anxiety, I experienced what I believe my first optic migraine. I had my eyes checked by 2 opticians and one ophthalmologist, and they said they could see no sign of eye disease, except that my retinas were thinning due to my myopia.

This set me off down a rabbit hole of obsession with my vision, especially as I have been afraid of MS in the past. I was regularly browsing this forum to look for vision disturbances, hoping to find stories of people with vision disturbances from anxiety. I came across a poster who had vision disturbances for 3 years, which were diagnosed as migraine, but turned out be MS. I read her story multiple times in a bid to convince myself my problems were different. Then somewhere along the way I learned about after images and the visual snow forum (I found the link on a thread here). I made the HUGE mistake of going over there. I found people with all kinds of vision disturbances. A few members on there were diagnosed with MS, but what freaked me out most was the story of a woman who had vision disturbances so bad she gave up her job and one by one lost all her hobbies. They never found a cause - she was told she had a neurodegenerative disorder of unknown origin. At this time I had none of the symptoms that members on this site had. But over a few months, I developed them all!!

Then, and I don't know why I did this, I started digging into the BFS forum which I used to visit back when I had twitches. A long-time member on there had been just diagnosed with that dreadful 3-letter disease. Digging through some of his old posts I found he too had some vision disturbances!!

Now I am haunted by the stories of all these individuals. Over winter break I tried to used CBT techniques to rationalize why my situation was different. I realized that they all had one prominent symptom, which I did not have - they could see flicker in some lights when others did not. I wrote down on my notepad how I did not have this problem. Well what do you know, less than two weeks later, I am noticing flicker in fluorescent lights that my husband does not see.

I am sorry for dragging on for so long, but now I feel doomed to their fate. I willl lose the career I have worked so hard to build and I will also lose all the joys in my life. I don't know why I am posting on here. Maybe to vent my anger, sadness, and frustration. May be to find some words of empathy. I am really lonely in this struggle and suffering terribly at the moment. Thanks for reading.

AHF
15-03-17, 18:08
I'm sorry you're having a tough time. It definitely is a rabbit hole. People with anxiety issues go on googling sprees of rare illnesses and start to diagnose themselves (I know I do alot!). Did you bring up your concerns to your opticians?

ErinKC
15-03-17, 19:45
I've been down this road before. I had optical migraine from anxiety. It was post surgery when my health anxiety was through the roof about having complications. It was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced. My eye doctor checked me out and gave me the all clear. He said no one really knows why they happen, and he was jealous because he's always wanted to know first hand what it looked like!

barbp4
15-03-17, 20:17
Hi - I have suffered with HA for over 20 years and have come to these message boards many times for reassurance and to just be able to share with others who understand. Over the years I have had myself diagnosed with multiple forms of cancer. I am also terrified of procedures - particularly involving being knocked out.
I have found these boards a comforting place to come when the HA kicks in - hopefully you will too.

Cakelady
15-03-17, 20:18
I read this forum for ages before I posted anything ( I prob would have picked a better name if I ever thought I would actually post lol!)
I am so sorry you are having a difficult time, having h/a can be so lonely & distressing, I hope you find some comfort from the guys here, I find it helps me, & really hope you feel better soon , take care xx

pray4me
15-03-17, 20:24
Thank you everyone, for your kind words of support. I plan to get things checked out with doctors in a month or so. I cannot go right away as I am too anxious at this time. And if I am referred for further tests in my current state, it will really shatter me. I am hoping I can build enough strength to deal with whatever comes my way. Your responses mean so much, really.

I have also found a few members on here with similar symptoms, so that is giving me some hope to cling on to.
It's just frustrating that I never had any of these symptoms until I came across the stories I mentioned in my first post. I guess I will never know what my situation would have been right now if I had never read all that. I just wish I could wipe it off my memory.

pray4me
11-07-18, 02:43
I have had vision worries for a while but I thought I was holding up well. This past weekend I also felt somewhat happy. But every time I get happy something comes up and I come crashing down.

I was at work yesterday. I had just had a conversation with a colleague who mentioned a woman she works with who is losing her vision. I remember thinking, 'I hope i don't lose my vision, I need my job plus my child really needs me to have functional vision.'. To lighten my mood I started watching videos on youtube. Then I went to the kitchen to clean my lunch dishes. Everything seemed ok. After I was done, I turned around and glanced at the white floor. I noticed a small grey shadow in the corner out of my left eye. It looked like an after image from a light source but I had not looked at anything bright. I frantically started looking around everywhere but could only see the shadow on a plain white surface and it seemed more prominent upon opening my eyes after keeping them closed for a few seconds.

I rushed back to my office but could not see it anymore. I stepped out again to test my eyes and even had random conversations with two colleagues, and did not see it. Then I sat back at my computer and after a while it came back - I could see it with my left eye only against the white door of my office. It was see-through and was not obscuring my vision, but it was there. I tried to calm myself by reasoning that it was probably an after image from my computer screen, which was to my left side. When I stopped using the computer for a while it would go away but then come back after I had been on it for a while.Sometimes it was a small square, at others it was a longer vertical shape. I tried recreating it in my right eye by moving my computer screen to the right side. But I could not so I panicked big time.

I packed my belongings and left the office to walk back home. I was crying for the whole 15-minute walk and felt like I could see the same shadow as a mild sun spot in my left eye when I looked down and to the side. After I got home, I spent some time in a dark room with my eyes closed. Everytime I opened my left eye, and focused on a plain wall, I could see it as a long oval shadow - but only in the dark. I could not see it in well-lit areas. Then coming out from the dark room into a brightly lit hallways, I could see it as a pale greenish splotch for a brief second before it would go away.

I forced myself to eat my dinner and did some laundry, and washed dishes plus got my kid ready for bed (not seeing the anomaly the whole time) and the effect went away. Though I barely slept all night, worrying and catastrophizing. Today both eyes have been ok.

I am very phobic about seeing doctors but I know I need to see one. Until then, please offer me some support. I have looked on here and found a few posts describing something similar but not for as long as I saw it. I so scared and depressed right, just when things were starting to look up a little.

Scass
11-07-18, 06:51
I know you’re phobic about doctors but I really think it would do you good to see one. Not for your eye, because I think that’s fine - it’s probably an anxiety response. But I think for your comment about how you felt somewhat happy. I felt a little heartbroken for you, and I also know exactly what you meant. I don’t really know how the system works in the US, but it would be good to get some help with your mental health - anxiety and low mood. Have you had help for it before? It’s amazing how the right therapy or doctor can put you on the right path.

With regards to your eyes, I’m sure it’s just a one off, but if it continues you could always go and get your eyes tested at the opticians?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pray4me
11-07-18, 14:59
Thank you for responding. You are correct, I am miserable. To make matters worse, I read on here about someone recently diagnosed with MS who had a visual disturbance in one eye. The poster did not elaborate what kind of disturbance. But I feel devastated anyway, like I am doomed. Like I want the earth to open up and swallow me. But I have a young child depending on me and so I have to keep soldiering on.
Thanks for your support, it means a lot.

Elen
11-07-18, 15:38
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

pray4me
11-07-18, 18:36
I can understand.

It woud be great to hear words of support from others.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Anyone, please, I am dysfunctional with anxiety right now and have no one to speak with.

jojo2316
11-07-18, 18:42
It is interesting to note this happened after you worried about losing your vision. Possibly unconnected but very likely not. So often I hear about an illness and then after a delay - always there is a short delay, just enough for me to think there is no connection- I develop some symptoms to do with that disease. And often I’m not actually thinking about the disease when they first come on (which scares me more!). The brain is a remarkable thing.

Roseessa
11-07-18, 18:54
Hi,
First of all please try and go to the doctors as soon as you can.
Not for your eye as I think that is fine, I think you need the doctors for help with your anxiety and when you hear from them nothing is wrong you will feel better.
You are probably noticing things due to the fact you have read stuff, it got stuck in your head and now you are imagining having them.

pray4me
11-07-18, 20:00
Thank you to those who responded. I don't think I was imagining things. But reading stories of others diagnosed with serious conditions definitely does not help. I am trying really hard to snap out of this funk but it has not been easy. I plan to confess to my husband tonight and then make an appointment.
Thanks for the support.