PDA

View Full Version : people ask for advice no reply

MRS STRESS ED
11-07-18, 22:26
lt has to be said people ask for advice ,help so on l and others on here go out of our way to answer the best we can ,and 9 times out of 10 l don't get anything back makes me wonder do you really want help ,because then l look and see they have started other threads just needed to be said ,l don't know how others feel but l think its a little bit rude :mad:

pulisa
12-07-18, 08:09
I'm afraid the "takers" far outweigh the "givers" on here but that's the nature of an online forum, I suppose?

Don't take it personally-it doesn't take a lot to just give a quick update or an acknowledgement of advice but some just don't think about that and are on to the next issue very quickly.

I think you should go on giving advice and trying to help but don't expect too much back in return and then you won't be disappointed?

GiantMogwai
12-07-18, 08:28
In theory help given should be unconditional, but it's nice to know one can make a difference and help was appreciated. Ideally you should always get a reply, but anxious people, even just any people don't have that at the forefront of their minds. Plus all this cross thread posting is probably also a symptom of uncertainty or anxiousness to get an answer. Don't let it put you off. :)

KK77
12-07-18, 10:36
I don't think anxiety is ever an excuse or reason for bad manners - after all, we're all sufferers not therapists here. If multiple members have replied, a simple "Thanks to all" would suffice and go a long way.

I agree that this shouldn't put you off Stress Ed. Unfortunately, this is the nature of forums like NMP.

jojo2316
12-07-18, 11:43
Extreme anxiety makes empathy rather difficult I think. I’m sure people are not intending to be bad mannered, they just can’t see beyond their fear. They deserve compassion not judgement.
But I agree it’s frustrating!!!

Fishmanpa
12-07-18, 11:59
I'm afraid the "takers" far outweigh the "givers" on here but that's the nature of an online forum, I suppose?

It's also the nature of anxiety. It kind of reminds me of our cat. He asks for treats whenever I get up in the morning, when I come home after work etc. (It's really cute so of course we cave ~lol~) He gets them from me and then starts the whole routine again on my wife. The treat equates to reassurance and one treat is never enough.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
12-07-18, 13:26
Extreme anxiety makes empathy rather difficult I think. I’m sure people are not intending to be bad mannered, they just can’t see beyond their fear. They deserve compassion not judgement.
But I agree it’s frustrating!!!

But you show plenty of empathy, jojo and from what you say anxiety affects you in a very big way.

Should it be acceptable for anxiety sufferers to be excused for not thinking of others? Maybe part of managing anxiety should include realising that there are other people who are affected by their anxiety too and it's not all about them. I'm referring to family and friends of the anxiety sufferer, not to this forum where I think if we get a response or an acknowledgement it's a welcome bonus.

GiantMogwai
12-07-18, 15:10
But you show plenty of empathy, jojo and from what you say anxiety affects you in a very big way.

Should it be acceptable for anxiety sufferers to be excused for not thinking of others? Maybe part of managing anxiety should include realising that there are other people who are affected by their anxiety too and it's not all about them. I'm referring to family and friends of the anxiety sufferer, not to this forum where I think if we get a response or an acknowledgement it's a welcome bonus.

I think lots of anxiety sufferers know they are affecting other people especially their family. For some this may even be part of the reason for things like self harm.

jojo2316
12-07-18, 15:14

You are very kind Pulisa. And I am very grateful for the help you have given me, because I know life isn’t easy for you either.
Thank you xxx

Scass
12-07-18, 15:25
Sometimes I just wish they’d give us a teeny little update, because I do worry about them, but also for the ones that come along next looking for answers.

But hey ho. I find it good for my own mental health to try and help someone else, or just to realise how far I’ve come [emoji849][emoji1].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GiantMogwai
12-07-18, 15:25
You are very kind Pulisa. And I am very grateful for the help you have given me, because I know life isn’t easy for you either.
Thank you xxx

Agree, another big thank you from me Pulisa. You make me feel heard. :)

kay1218
12-07-18, 16:01
I absolutely agree i try to comment on every post i see that i feel i know enough about to leave a comment but when i post, seeking advice or reassurance i get maybe one or two comments. While i understand that we all have anxiety and panic attacks so we may not all have free time all the time but it’s hard for me to believe that every time i post only one or two people have the time. Maybe I’m wrong though. Still praying for everyone in here to find recovering including myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRS STRESS ED
12-07-18, 17:03
hi guys thanks for your replies it would be nice just to hear how they are and yeah l should realise myself its just the nature of the beast,it won't put me off posting though because l would like to think we all make a difference here thanks again :hugs:

Noivous
13-07-18, 00:46
It's also the nature of anxiety. It kind of reminds me of our cat. He asks for treats whenever I get up in the morning, when I come home after work etc. (It's really cute so of course we cave ~lol~) He gets them from me and then starts the whole routine again on my wife. The treat equates to reassurance and one treat is never enough.

Positive thoughts

Hmm...You may want to consider an intervention with the kitty. Do you think you might convince it to attend a TA Meeting (treats anonymous)?

Personally I'm not concerned with a thank you or an acknowledgment. Just hope any advice helps someone.

MRS STRESS ED
15-07-18, 15:05
some of you have got me wrong its not for a thank you or acknowledgement its because it would be nice just to hear how they're getting on :lac:

nomorepanic
15-07-18, 17:43
As you may have noticed we are trying to merge posts about the same thing and one member in particular (FMP) is very good at alerting us to posts that can be merged for which we are grateful.

I would like to see members at least post a "thanks" and take the time to come back with an update. Sometimes they are sent off for tests and we never hear anything every again.