PDA

View Full Version : Mole sitting on little swelling on cheek worry

pinkdante
13-07-18, 17:31
I have had a one sided nasal congestion for about 3-4 weeks now but in the last week it has just got worse, like sinusitis but only on one side which is the part that is freaking me out - there is no pain though.

Becoming worried, I went to see a doctor on Monday about it and also about a mole on my face that sits on a small lump that I wanted checking.

The doctor didn't seem very reassuring. Gave me a nasal spray for my nose and said come back about the lump in a few weeks if you are worried. I fly to US in 8 days on a trip of a lifetime.

Today, because I got so worked up about my nose, scared it is nasal cancer I went back because I could,'t understand how it could be so blocked on one side and never appears clear above the middle of my nose.

She didn't look at my nose or my mole and said 'well if you have got cancer there are some things you can do immediately, such as don't smoke, adjust diet and limit alcohol. Well this has sent me in to a complete spin.

I virtually ran out crying and she has referred me to an ENT but I have 8 days before my holiday so will have to go private.

I feel sick and do not know what to do. I keep crying and looking at my kids.

Help.

NervUs
13-07-18, 19:22
What on earth???

I have never heard a doctor jump to cancer in an appointment. They are usually so careful about doing that unless there is good probability!!

That said, there are a lot of things that can cause the feeling of blockage on one side. I have it myself. My causes is because my nasal valve is collapsing (nice, huh? you can only see it on the outside if I take a very deep breath in). Another cause is deviated septum, which I also have on my other side. I never broke my nose or sustained an injury, so it is just one of those things.

PLease don't jump to cancer. Nasal cancer is really rare, and much of the risk is occupational exposure. It is so so likely to be something else like deviated septum, which is actually very common.

Fishmanpa
13-07-18, 19:42
What on earth???

I have never heard a doctor jump to cancer in an appointment. They are usually so careful about doing that unless there is good probability!!

Based on the OP's description of the visit, they were fobbed off. We don't know all the details but based on the thread history, I would tend to think the doctor knows about the OP's HA, thus the response.

Positive thoughts

pinkdante
13-07-18, 20:02
Thank you to you both. I have HA and OCD and stupidly told her this but I did so, so she would understand.

When you have OCD the words ' If you have got C....'this is what you can do' all i heard was IF and C word and everything else she said went out the window.

It sort of feels like it clears a little if I do not blow, but if I blow it clogs again and it never feels completely clear all the way up to the top, but I am sneezing and it feels like when I had a sinus issue before but now I have a wait for the ENT literally days before my holiday.

I am just trying very very hard to think - there are people with one sided sinus issues.

She told me not to drink too much because Cancer loves Sugar!!!

Whilst I know this, this then puts it in my head that she thinks it's a possibility even though i am sure she was thinking she was reassuring.

NervUs
13-07-18, 20:09
Regardless of what she knows about you, her treatment of you sounds downright unprofessional and passive aggressive.

I agree that people with HA/OCD can be uber-annoying (I am not judging as I am one such people, lol)...

but....

a doctor has no place. She should have just examined you to see if there is a blockage (such as deviated septum), and given you the results of the exam properly.

Are you doing anything to treat the HA/OCD? I am not aware of your screen name but, if you are at the docs all the time and that is a possible reason for the treatment, YOU should also be working on that. But, I would be done with a doctor like that. THere are more and less professional ways of telling someone the problem is in their head or there is no reason for investigation. Getting passive aggressive and judgy with your patients is RIDIC IMO.

darthvader
13-07-18, 20:11
What you're describing sounds like a sinus infection. I've had one for months in the past which actually spread to my ear making it very very difficult to hear anything out of my right ear.

She has sent you to an ENT because you have gone back to her again about the problem... as a GP she doesn't really have another hand she can play other than to refer you to ENT. Most GPs dont have the time and quite often just can't be bothered to listen and give patients their full attention.

My GP tries to get me out of the room within 20 seconds of me sitting down on the chair.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

ohhh...and I can tell you from FIRST hand experience that a sinus infection CAN just affect one side of the nose and one ear.

pinkdante
13-07-18, 20:38
I had never heard of it affecting one side before - and actually I have had recurrent ear infections all year.

This Dr did not even look up at me or examine me. She proceeded to tell me not to drink too much as if it is the big C, C loves sugar.

How can you say that to someone even if they do not have HA!

Thank you for that re the one side - that comforts me a bit tho I don't have any facial pain with it, it just feels blocked at the top, sometimes clears a bit but not completely.

jray23
13-07-18, 21:11
My GP has told me in the not so distant past that sinus issues/symptoms can be one-sided. Not likely cause for concern. Hope you're able to enjoy your holiday over here!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pinkdante
13-07-18, 21:25
My GP has told me in the not so distant past that sinus issues/symptoms can be one-sided. Not likely cause for concern. Hope you're able to enjoy your holiday over here!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thank you - our trip of a lifetime and i cant even eat i feel sick with worry but thank you

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Regardless of what she knows about you, her treatment of you sounds downright unprofessional and passive aggressive.

I agree that people with HA/OCD can be uber-annoying (I am not judging as I am one such people, lol)...

but....

a doctor has no place. She should have just examined you to see if there is a blockage (such as deviated septum), and given you the results of the exam properly.

Are you doing anything to treat the HA/OCD? I am not aware of your screen name but, if you are at the docs all the time and that is a possible reason for the treatment, YOU should also be working on that. But, I would be done with a doctor like that. THere are more and less professional ways of telling someone the problem is in their head or there is no reason for investigation. Getting passive aggressive and judgy with your patients is RIDIC IMO.

I used to be really bad, I joined this site in 2007 and was on here all the time but I have tried really hard to control my HA. However whenever I am about to travel I get panicky that I need to make sure I am fit for the holiday in case it ruins it

darthvader
13-07-18, 21:31
I had never heard of it affecting one side before - and actually I have had recurrent ear infections all year.

This Dr did not even look up at me or examine me. She proceeded to tell me not to drink too much as if it is the big C, C loves sugar.

How can you say that to someone even if they do not have HA!

Thank you for that re the one side - that comforts me a bit tho I don't have any facial pain with it, it just feels blocked at the top, sometimes clears a bit but not completely.

No problem. The recurring ear infection is even further evidence that this is due to a sinus infection. They don't have to be painful either.

pinkdante
14-07-18, 16:12
I posted yesterday about my really insensitive doctor that really scared me and left me panicking all night, this was about my sinus' but the other thing I had wanted reassurance on was this mole that sits on my cheek and she didn't even look at me.

I went to the doctors on Monday about it and this other dr said 'if you are still worried in two weeks come back', well we go on holiday next week so I went back yesterday and as i said the dr didn't even look.

OK so now what do I do? I am very worried, and need something before I go away.

I have a flat mole on my cheek which dr checked and said is fine but it sits on top of like a little lump/swelling that looks like it has a white area around it.This is what is worrying me. In my mind I have a lump which I am worried about. No one seems bothered and now I am freaking out and have a week to sort it out.

I am taking every calming thing going as i am spiralling in to panic as I just think the worst and i fear it will ruin my holiday.

Scass
14-07-18, 16:21
Is there more than one doctor at your practice? If so, go back. Complain.
Do you have a history there of anxiety that they know about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinkdante
14-07-18, 16:25
Is there more than one doctor at your practice? If so, go back. Complain.
Do you have a history there of anxiety that they know about?

I went to the first doctor who said come back in two weeks. I was not happy so asked for a second opinion and that doctor didn't even get off her chair.

I fly in a week and going out my mind with worry and yes I did tell the second dr I was anxious.

Scass
14-07-18, 16:34
But do you go to the doctor a lot about other things?

nomorepanic
14-07-18, 16:51
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.