PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Salutations

GrafGrau
31-07-07, 15:23
Hello,

I have not really been sure what to write so I keep changing it.

I started suffering from anxiety about 2 months ago. I think at first it appeared as health anxiety/hypochondria, but there were concerns about the obsessive aspects of it and being me I blew it up into more worrying obsession. I am still in two minds as to whether it really is OCD or not, it does not follow the classic examples that one reads about.

The thoughts are health related and for a while I thought it was Panic Disorder, though I have not had many attacks. Still the thoughts have been extremely obsessive, we are talking about from several hours a day to several days continuously and these are that there is something wrong with my health and predominately they are heart related. Since the thoughts have started I found that tactile contact (sorry I feel that the word touch has freaky connotations) with my chest tends to alleviate the anxiety and to stop the thoughts, and that’s why I think it is OCD. Whether or not it actually is is besides the point for me, having the problem identified makes it easier for me to deal with. Its when I am faced with ambiguity and uncertainty that I start to worry.

I am blessed and cursed by working for the local CMHT, helpful to get some action, had a referral to Occupational Health for counselling the same day I told my manager, but conversely for long term care it is difficult because our NHS Trust runs all of the teams in easy travel distance to me.

The counselling has helped a bit, particularly for the week or so afterwards, but it was mainly centred on trying to find ways of distracting me from the thoughts. Given how low my motivation has been in the past few months, the only sources of entertainment are TV/DVDs and upon occasion online computer games and that is pretty costly. I know that sounds terrible, but I never really do much with friends anyway, and after work I am too tired for anything else. Anyhoo because things weren’t improving fast enough I went to see a GP (had to register with one first!) and he prescribed me Citalopram.

I have only been taking it for 6 days and am getting some nasty side effects. At first it was not much, felt the heat a bit more and suffered the occasional brief dizzy spell. Then I have had panic attacks each night since Saturday, though they are lessening in intensity and easier to handle. On Monday I was having muscle spasms or something similar all day, it was like someone was trying to push me over with my shoulder blades. It was not fun sitting down for long. Thankfully that has gone away. Today my head feels very hazy and heavy like you get when your nose is really congested. That I can live with, if that’s all I get. My real problem has been the lack of sleep. I am the kind of person who likes to squeeze every minute I can from the day, but I don’t like to be up in the early hours, I just hate the silence. Today, I am finding I also feel really heavy, now I know I carry too much weight, but it is something more than that, its like parts of my body are dragging down, very odd. All in all I feel like I am getting to see many of the reported side effects one after the other.

The most apparent thing for me is how fidgety I have become. I wasn’t consciously aware of it before, but I hate to be still, even when sitting I find I leg jiggle, or do something with my hands. Since being on Citalopram, a lot of my anxiety has been when laid down in bed and I find that my jiggling is even more pronounced, one of the reasons sleep is so hard is due to the conscious effort of being a perpetual motion device. And so yeah, basically I am just trying to get by day to day, hoping that with a bit of work I will eventually be able to get past this.

Sorry, I guess this a rambling summary of all sorts of things, but I find that passing it on really helps. I have kind of run out of people I want to tell who I know so its handy to have another outlet.

trac67
31-07-07, 15:49
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Stick with the citalopram I have been on them for 9 years now on and off and they have really helped me

Take care

Trac xxx

Pink Princess
31-07-07, 17:23
hey there and welcome to the site

http://www.mel-ink.com/Images/Structure/welcome%20sign.JPG
love minnie xxxxxxxxxxx

Lindalou64
31-07-07, 19:10
hello and welcome im sure you will find lots of info and support i wish ya the best....linda

nomorepanic
31-07-07, 19:23
Hi and :welcome: aboard.

Lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

I am afraid that the side-effects of meds can be pretty awful to begin with but hopefully in time you will settle down and feel better.

groovygranny
31-07-07, 21:18
Hello GrafGrau :welcome:to you!

Yep, try and stick with the Citalopram - once they get in into your system you'll settle right down I'm sure. Best move I made when I needed medication :)

You'll get loads of help and support here - we're all here for each other!

Pleased to meet you!

:)

Southern_Belle
31-07-07, 23:42
Hi,

Welcome to NMP. It took me a couple of weeks for me to not feel ill from my meds, however, once I got used to them I felt so much better. I also suffer from a bit of OCD and general anxiety. You will find many here who feel exactly like you do and will be able to relate. The support you will find will really help you.

Laura :)

CarpeDiem
01-08-07, 10:37
:) Hi GrafGrau :)

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time getting used to your medication; coming to this site is a great way to alleviate any fears you may have. It sounds like you're uncomfortable not knowing what is going to come next in terms of side effects, which is understandable
I stopped taking my medication after only a few months for that very reason but looking back I wish I'd given them more of a chance; as a lot of people on the site say they found the same thing but stuck with it & find them a great help now they are used to it. Have you been in the chat room? Plenty of people in there who will offer advice & support. Maybe I'll see you there! :D

Take care, CarpeDiem, xxxxxx

burrgins
07-08-07, 15:57
Hi matey,

I've experienced the same symptoms you described especially about obsessing about the heart and chest, having a "heavy" head and body has also been common with me but not sure why.

I took my mind off it by playing online games too, World of Warcraft took up most of my life 2 years ago as I played obsessively until the early hours which I found to actually help alot but realised that I was using it as a way to distract myself until about 4 in the morning so that when I eventually made it to bed I fell almost instantly asleep more from exhaustion than anything else before my brain had a chance to catch up and start winding me up, i still maintain that staying up till 4 was actually working to alleviate sleeping stress until it came to functioning at work the day after.

As far as stressing about your heart and chest its probably obvious but I just went to the docs and got full blood tests and an ECG done including fasting tests for cholesterol just for reasurance which helped me chill out a bit.

If you get chestpains or a heavy chest when lying down it wasn't until I saw an illustration of the muscle network around the chest that it seemed that the muscles all around the head to the shoulders and chest are all linked.
I started to watch how I sat whilst watching TV or playing games at PC or at work and noticed that just sitting up straight had a major impact as to how heavy or twitchy my chest would feel at bedtime.
I know its expensive but maybe get head / neck massage from a professional, it certainly helped me realise that my chest pains were linked to muscle problems from being stressed rather than having say lung cancer or a heart attack which I previously thought.

Sorry if I sound a little preechy and went on a little but you're not alone mate if that helps at all and I think if you can just tick the symptoms off one by one then that helped me alot

Nibbles
07-08-07, 22:22
Hi GrafGrau and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. When starting medication it tends to take a couple of weeks to settle in so you should feel the benefits soon. And don't worry it's good to get it all off your chest and it's brill it's helped.

Take care,

Mike