PDA

View Full Version : Disbility Living Allowance (DLA)

Gregor
31-07-07, 19:02
Hi,

I'm just wondering how many of you receive Disability Living Allowance (i think it's the middle rate). The reason is because i current receive the lower rate of DLA and have applied for the middle rate (i think that's what it is). I got rejected for that, so i appealed and still got rejected. I'm now taking it to tribunal. I just wondered if anyone with anxiety, etc, actually qualifies for the middle rate or if i'm just wasting my time! I'm not so sure if i qualify, but my dad seems determined to keep appealing! I have a doctor from the tribunal people coming here tomorrow to assess me.

Any thoughts?

Gregor

Lindalou64
31-07-07, 19:21
i from america so its called different names like did you work enough to get the middle.what that is pay into your taxes your social security? here if you dont you get a enough credits you get SSI and if you worked enough to put enough into your social security you also get a check SSDI....thats how it works here anyways.wish ya the best......Linda

Insomniac
31-07-07, 22:32
Hi there

I'm not very good with these things. It gets me confused. Personally I think they make it difficult on purpose, but those who really need it can lose out. Anyway, I don't want to suggest things you've already done, but I would either ask my GP for advice, or go to citizens advice bureau who are pretty good.

vernon
31-07-07, 23:00
I get DLA middle rate but I am registered Blind, I have never known anyone on DLA with anxiety Depression. Sorry cant help. Vernon

xBettyBoopx
01-08-07, 01:35
Hi Gregor

Disability living allowance has two parts, a care component and a mobility component. The care component has 3 rates (lower, middle & higher), and the mobility has 2 rates (higher and lower). Apparently it works like this: For the care compnent if you need looking after for about 8 hours of the day you get the lower rate, if you need looking after day OR night you get the middle rate, and if you need care 24 hours of the day you get the higher rate. As for the mobility: God only knows!!

I am agoraphobic, have chronic fatigue syndrome and back problems and was turned down for D.L.A. I appealed and took it to the tribunal and was still turned down! This whole process took 9 friggin months, caused me more anxiety and I still didn't get a penny, so be grateful that at least you get something. I have to exist on incap benefit, which is very hard.

Elspeth

blackie
01-08-07, 09:16
Hiya
I get the lower rate for mobility and the middle rate for the care componant.
Im agorophobic and suffer from depresstion and PTS
Take care
Blackie

Alabasterlyn
01-08-07, 09:51
I think once again it's a case of people with the same problems receiving different benefits and there is no rhyme or reason as to the decisions these people make when assessing your claim.

I have received the lower rate of mobility DLA for about 12yrs now. I recently applied for an assessment as I know a few people who are suffereing the same as myself and yet they are also getting the lower rate of the care element. I was turned down. I am not going to bother appealing as I really can't see the point of going through even more stress.

There are people on here who have applied and received a Blue Badge because they have agoraphobia. I have applied 3 times and not been able to get one. The present system sucks basically.

vernon
01-08-07, 10:34
Oh yes Lyn I have a blue badge to but I think its becouse I am registered Blind not the anxiety/Phobia problems, and its so true when I have had my bad spells of anxiety and agrophobia it was much more disabling than being blind.

Lindalou64
01-08-07, 13:22
You All Get People To Come And Help You ? We Dont Get That Here....elspeth That Is So Not Right For Them Refusing You.you Are Disabled.....the World Is A Funny Pace Isnt It...are Laws And Stuff Are So Different But Where So Much Alike......just Thinking Out Loud .lol.........linda Xx

Gregor
01-08-07, 22:52
Maybe we should start a petition to the government to make all alike illnesses be treated the same! How can some people get it and some not if they have the exact same problems? I think we all should be at least entitled to the lower rate.

xBettyBoopx
02-08-07, 02:46
You are right Gregor, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I was thinking of doing something, but I knew that my little voice on it's own wouldn't change anything. The trouble is that the people who are getting DLA might not want to rock the boat. I have been told by a neighbour to get in touch with the adjudicator at the DSS, I will ring them 2moro to see if they have anything to do with DLA. Trouble is I don't know if I have enough mental or physical strength to carry it through.

Elspeth

Gregor
02-08-07, 03:28
Elspeth,

The first time i applied for DLA a few years ago, i got turned down. At the time, i just left it at that figuring that i just didn't qualify. Then, last year, i applied again. I just filled out the form myself and told the truth. I got turned down once more. I then appealed the decision with the help of a trained professional who knows how to fill these forms in and i was successful. It's case of, you need to know what to write in the forms, you need to know how to write certain things in a way which suggests you are disabled enough. The forms they ask you to fill in are designed to be difficult i think - they're certainly not aimed at people like us with anxiety problems!

xBettyBoopx
02-08-07, 07:32
Hi Gregor

I did have help with filling in the forms from disability advice bearu (sp) for all the good that she done!! She even went to my tribunaral hearing as I couldn't go, who knows what she said! Sometimes I feel like fighting it, other times I feel like giving up!
Take care
Elspeth

vernon
04-08-07, 10:35
You are so right, I remember about 22 years ago I had anxiety and agrophobia so bad I could hardly walk from the kitchen to the living room as I was so so full of fear. I got sacked from my job for not turning up and the Doctor wouldnt even give me a sick note for work as he said there was nothing wrong with me. My wife went into hospital to have our third child and I couldnt even go visit her, this made me feel so so horrible as I love my family so much. I had to get a taxi to sign on the dole once every two weeks and it was hell getting from taxi and going in the dole office. At that time they didnt recognise anxietys at all and the help was nil. then my sight went just about fully and thats when I got put on sickness benefit and got middle rate DLA for both parts, but it was nothing to do with the anxiety and I would say the anxieties I had at that time where much more disabling that being blind.
TC all Vernon

Janice Booth
06-08-07, 01:06
I am agoraphobic and I was awarded the lower rate "to help with getting around" (about £17 a week) as I need to have someome with me when I go out. I was not granted the personal care award as I can look after myself at home. When you fill out the forms, you have to detail your "worst" day. I also live in Wales so I would have thought the process would be the same as for me. I think you should keep trying and get more advice from the CAB.

Good luck

Janice