PDA

View Full Version : Daughter lost peripheral vision in both eyes during migraine

Wilburis
15-07-18, 12:35
Hello

My daughter suffers with migraines.

Last week she said she had a blotch in one of her eyes and thought she had a migraine starting.

Then she got a very bad headache and felt sick.

Then she said she couldn't see out of the sides of her eyes.

I took her to A and E.

They called the stroke team down to examine her.

It was terrifying.

When they tested her peripheral vision, she couldnt see until the doctor's hand was right in front of her, in each eye. She had no peripheral vision in each eye.

She was also having numbess in her tongue, face, toe and hand on one side of her body too.

They did a quick neuro exam which was fine.

They think it was migraine related.

She was given an anti-sickness injection and a special migraine tablet - a triptan.

They said if her symptoms continue the next day - to come back for an MRI.

After some sleep, her vision started to come back and her headache sarted to go.

The next day, she was fine.

We have a GP appointment tomorrow to discuss this.

I'm so worried that she has a brain tumour or something sinister.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this sort of vision loss during a bad migraine attack.

Thank you for reading this.

xx

Scass
15-07-18, 15:17
Gosh how scary!

I used to have ocular migraines where my vision would go very blurry and flickery.

How old is your daughter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilburis
15-07-18, 16:17
Hi

She is 16.

xx

melfish
16-07-18, 01:15
Sounds like a migraine with some panic thrown in on top. A panic attack can give you tunnel vision. I've had pins and needles in the mouth and throat as part of a migraine aura, one-sided numbness, speaking difficulties etc. All very stroke-like, but also common with migraine aura

AnxiousJamie
16-07-18, 01:36
I get migraines. Actually since I’ve gotten older, they have decreased. But the first time I had one, I thought I had a brain tumor too. I have flashing lights and I totally lose my peripheral vision. It starts out as flickering and flashing lights. Then within about 20 mins it progresses to me completely losing the vision. My aura lasts anywhere from 15-30 mins. Then the headache starts. Your description sounds so much like my migraines, I’m almost sure that’s what she has.

meant2live
16-07-18, 06:34
My mom gets migraines like this. I’m not sure about the numb feeling, but she definitely gets the tunnel vision. She explains it as seeing holes in her vision that get bigger and bigger until she can only see through a tunnel.

When she sees these things starting, she takes medicine because they are kind of her warning alarm that the pain will be starting soon after the visual stuff.

I hope your daughter finds help for her migraines.