PDA

View Full Version : Refeeding Syndrome?

ScaredAsHeck
16-07-18, 19:35
Haven’t eaten much the past week and a half and lost some weight. Now I’m scared of eating again because of refeeding syndrome. I was originally like 204-205 now I’m like 197-198ish and I’m scared to eat a big meal. My heart will pound if I eat foods rich in carbohydrates. Should I be concerned?

AMomentofClarity
16-07-18, 19:44
Most HA sufferers have a fear du jour.....you’ve got like 3 or 4 going. Do you see a pattern? Are you doing anything to address it? Have you considered a break from the Internet?

ScaredAsHeck
16-07-18, 19:47
Most HA sufferers have a fear du jour.....you’ve got like 3 or 4 going. Do you see a pattern? Are you doing anything to address it? Have you considered a break from the Internet?

Possibly. Too much internet is no bueno. But is it possible I can get refeeding syndrome?

AMomentofClarity
16-07-18, 19:49
But is it possible I can get refeeding syndrome?

You’ve Googled all about it. Tell us what you think?

ScaredAsHeck
16-07-18, 20:06
You’ve Googled all about it. Tell us what you think?

Well. They say one risk factor is eating very little for 5 days. I’ve eaten little for a little bit longer than that. Everytime I have a meal that’s heavy in carbs my heart beats hard. Friday I went to chili’s and ate fries and half a burger and my heart was pounding. Saturday I had an omelet sandwich with cheese and same thing.

I’m scared I put myself at risk because I had so much anxiety I barely ate.

AMomentofClarity
16-07-18, 20:16
So you COMPLETELY ignored the definition which comes up immediately:
Refeeding syndrome is a syndrome consisting of metabolic disturbances that occur as a result of reinstitution of nutrition to patients who are starved, severely malnourished or metabolically stressed due to severe illness.

And instead you clung to one little risk factor that you probably had to read through paragraphs and paragraphs to find.

Listen, I’ve had severe HA, I know how it works. I also know that Googling and reassurance seeking are the worst possible techniques to deal with it. You need to be open and honest with your doctor(s) about your mental state, be open minded about medication suggestions, and see a processional therapist to help deal with these thoughts. Otherwise you’re going to keep yourself locked into this constant cycle of using Google to “prove” you’re ill and seeking reassurance from what you read.

Capercrohnj
16-07-18, 20:24
Refeeding syndrome doesn't happen after undereating for a week.

ScaredAsHeck
16-07-18, 20:30
So you COMPLETELY ignored the definition which comes up immediately:
Refeeding syndrome is a syndrome consisting of metabolic disturbances that occur as a result of reinstitution of nutrition to patients who are starved, severely malnourished or metabolically stressed due to severe illness.

And instead you clung to one little risk factor that you probably had to read through paragraphs and paragraphs to find.

Listen, I’ve had severe HA, I know how it works. I also know that Googling and reassurance seeking are the worst possible techniques to deal with it. You need to be open and honest with your doctor(s) about your mental state, be open minded about medication suggestions, and see a processional therapist to help deal with these thoughts. Otherwise you’re going to keep yourself locked into this constant cycle of using Google to “prove” you’re ill and seeking reassurance from what you read.

My HA is severe lately, yes. I already talked to my doctor and he prescribed me some medication and I’m going to talk to therapists too. I’m just scared man, why does my heart pound after eating though? I feel like a fool for not having an appetite these past few days. I did a recount of yesterday’s calories and I believe I had around 2500ish(reassuring) Not 100% sure.

So what I’m worried about is only a possibility for severely malnourished people with anorexia basically?

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Refeeding syndrome doesn't happen after undereating for a week.

Well make that like a week and a half of undereating. I did lose weight though which scares me. Would it have to be weeks upon weeks and months to be at high risk?

Fishmanpa
16-07-18, 20:36
Why not just add this to the growing list of fears started in your previous thread? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219448) You've gotten an open buffet of reassurance. Hopefully you're full for now ;)

Positive thoughts

Anxiousamyj
16-07-18, 20:41
I used to work on an eating disorders unit in a psychiatric hospital. You have no danger of refeeding syndrome. It's completely absurd. I saw some young girls with this and it's pretty serious, mostly requiring hospitalization to overcome. I know what HA can do to us while we're interpreting those Google searches. As a side, I hardly ate from late December to early February and I was fine. Lost some anxiety weight and had put myself in ketosis which scared the s*** out of me, as it really hastens the weight loss. However, you will be just fine to eat whatever you want. I found it easier to gradually increase my food though rather than bingeing all at once.

ScaredAsHeck
16-07-18, 20:53
Why not just add this to the growing list of fears started in your previous thread? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219448)

Positive thoughts

You’re right. My fears are irrational and silly.