PDA

View Full Version : fear of food allergy..

dus1996
16-07-18, 22:43
for now i don't have any food allergies except when i eat shellfish i get an itchy mouth and my lips kinda get red and i know this is an allergy but it's mild
i'm really scared of eating tree nuts like hazelnuts walnuts peanuts.. especially peanuts.. i won't go near them!!
sometimes i will eat hazelnuts because they taste too good but i try to avoid them most of the time but right after i eat them i just wait to get an extreme reaction like anaphylaxis and like i will not be able to breath and i will die from a hazelnut
how likely is it to get an allergy suddenly from something you have eaten many times as an adult?
people call me crazy for saying i can get a sudden allergic reaction from something i have eaten before but i have read stories about many people who experienced that!!
what do you think???

GiantMogwai
16-07-18, 23:22
I became allergic to tree nuts in my 30s. I carry an EpiPen. The nut I am most allergic to is the hazelnut. I ate about 8 of these raw in a pastry and within 20 mins I was red all over with hives on arms and bloodshot eyes, and 20 mins after that I was in A&E. After about another half hour and the right medicine I was OK again.

The allergic reaction is greater when the nuts are raw, and when I have low acid levels in my stomach. Since then I have accidentally eaten tiny amounts of cooked nuts blended into a chocolate paste and been OK, although I spat the chocolate paste out straight away. The allergic reaction is to the protein, so raw nuts are the worst.

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

I get stressed when people eat nuts around me although my allergy is probably not that sensitive, but if a product says "may contain nuts" it does not put me off. I carry antihistamines and an EpiPen with me wherever I go. I have never had to use EpiPen but use antihistamines regularly.

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

I used to eat nuts all the time without any problem but in the runup to my severe allergic reaction I do recall having less severe allergic reactions to dark chocolate with hazelnut such as itchy ears, itchy throat, and over production of mucus in throat.

dus1996
17-07-18, 12:51
see? so im not irrational about this.. it can happen to anyone and if you're not lucky enough to get medical treatment fast you can end up dead..
i think everyone should carry an epipen with them even without being diagnosed with any allergy in drugs or food...

Fishmanpa
17-07-18, 13:14
see? so im not irrational about this.. it can happen to anyone and if you're not lucky enough to get medical treatment fast you can end up dead..
i think everyone should carry an epipen with them even without being diagnosed with any allergy in drugs or food...

Totally over the top reaction but Ok... :huh:

Positive thoughts

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 15:02

Not irrational at all. It is highly unlikely but can happen.

Fishmanpa
17-07-18, 16:02
Not irrational at all. It is highly unlikely but can happen.

Respectfully, I disagree. To avoid eating foods due to a fear of getting an allergic reaction that you've never had before is irrational.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
17-07-18, 16:07
Worrying about something that's unlikely to happen IS being irrational.

It's also possible to be struck by lightning, to be run over by a lawnmower or win the lottery.

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 16:34
Respectfully, I disagree. To avoid eating foods due to a fear of getting an allergic reaction that you've never had before is irrational.

It is rational to think that allergic reactions can develop in later life. They can, and do. That's just a fact.

Regarding how a person deals with this fact there are a range of rational responses.

You can be ultra cautious with something like nuts, which might do more harm than good from a mental health point of view, but just because it is an unhealthy mindset doesn't mean it is irrational.

In my opinion a more healthy approach is not to worry about an allergy for a thing, until you yourself have experienced the allergy. That's better from a mental health point of view.

This is all about probability and also don't forget that the majority of allergic reactions people have to food are relatively mild and not life threatening.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Also in my case the severity of the reaction was caused by interaction with PPIs. Too little stomach acid. If somebody is increasing the dose of their PPIs it is rational to factor this into the probability of an allergic reaction. I know this from experience.

Fishmanpa
17-07-18, 16:50
It is rational to think that allergic reactions can develop in later life. They can, and do. That's just a fact.

Regarding how a person deals with this fact there are a range of rational responses.

You can be ultra cautious with something like nuts, which might do more harm than good from a mental health point of view, but just because it is an unhealthy mindset doesn't mean it is irrational.

In my opinion a more healthy approach is not to worry about an allergy for a thing, until you yourself have experienced the allergy. That's better from a mental health point of view.

This is all about probability and also don't forget that the majority of allergic reactions people have to food are relatively mild and not life threatening.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Also in my case the severity of the reaction was caused by interaction with PPIs. Too little stomach acid. If somebody is increasing the dose of their PPIs it is rational to factor this into the probability of an allergic reaction. I know this from experience.

My wife drank whole milk her entire life. Several years ago she started having stomach issues from it. The doctor suggested her body developed a reaction. We switched to Almond Milk and she's been fine since.

So your point about it developing is valid as it can and does happen, but it's not a reason and irrational to worry and avoid certain foods "becoming" an issue.

It's no different than someone avoiding swimming due to a fear of brain eating amoebas! :wacko:

We'll just have agree to disagree on this one :lac:

Positive thoughts

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 16:58
Worrying about something that's unlikely to happen IS being irrational.

It's also possible to be struck by lightning, to be run over by a lawnmower or win the lottery.

Nope, "unlikely to happen" is still rational. Worrying about something that "cannot happen" would be irrational. Your understanding of the word is flawed.

Developing an allergic reaction to something in later life is far more probable than getting struck by lightning, although anaphylaxis is very unlikely.

I know at least two other people who now carry EpiPens for allergies developed in later life, one of whom had her life saved by an EpiPen. I know nobody who has been struck by lightning.

I do agree you have to approach the probability in a healthy way, but from personal experience would say schools, homes, and offices should be kitted out with EpiPens as standard in their first aid kits. Some probably are.

If I knew what I know now but wasn't allergic, I wouldn't eat raw nuts but would stick with roasted nuts or pralines, and I'd go easy on them. Irrational? Not one bit. More of a personal choice as to the level of caution I'd exercise.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

My wife drank whole milk her entire life. Several years ago she started having stomach issues from it. The doctor suggested her body developed a reaction. We switched to Almond Milk and she's been fine since.

So your point about it developing is valid as it can and does happen, but it's not a reason and irrational to worry and avoid certain foods "becoming" an issue.

It's no different than someone avoiding swimming due to a fear of brain eating amoebas! :wacko:

We'll just have agree to disagree on this one :lac:

Positive thoughts

Irrational is the wrong word. Look it up.

Brain eating amoebas are less probable so bad example, as is lightning.

I don't think avoidance of certain foods for potential of allergic reaction is healthy but for things like nuts it's perfectly "rational" to avoid them.

Fishmanpa
17-07-18, 17:08
r·ra·tion·al
i(r)ˈraSH(ə)nəl
adjective
1. not logical or reasonable.

It's not logical nor reasonable to worry about something that's not an issue. It's no different than worrying about any of the other fears on these boards.

Sorry GiantM... you're validating irrational behavior and flawed thinking and that's not constructive nor beneficial to you or others.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
17-07-18, 17:48
Nope, "unlikely to happen" is still rational. Worrying about something that "cannot happen" would be irrational. Your understanding of the word is flawed.

The key word in the definition of the word 'rational' is 'reasonable'.

It's reasonable to worry about being struck by lighting if you're walking out in a thunderstorm with your umbrella up.

It's not reasonable to worry about it if you're walking along the street with a few clouds in the sky (although it's still technically possible).

Worrying about developing something that you don't currently have is absolutely 100% not rational.

There can be no solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and that is the madness of anxiety. You constantly look for that solution.

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 18:24
Sorry GiantM... you're validating irrational behavior and flawed thinking and that's not constructive nor beneficial to you or others.

Here we have the statement that does more damage than anything else. Calling someone "irrational" for having a fear of nuts, or talking about avoiding them, or deciding not to eat them. Shame on you.

I don't think it is good for one's mental health to not eat things for fear of having an allergic reaction to them if one hasn't had an allergic reaction to this thing before, agreed, but I will not ever call that person "irrational" if they decide not to do so where up to 1.3 million people in the US are allergic to nuts, and where allergic reactions can develop later in life.

To the original poster - in my opinion you're very unlikely to have a nut allergy develop in later life, and from my personal experience if you ever do have one (which you very probably won't), the first time you do have one you will probably be OK. remember though that this will probably never happen.

But if you decide to be cautious with nuts this is not irrational, although I would strongly recommend against being too cautious if you haven't specifically experienced any allergic reaction to nuts before.

After my nut allergy A&E trip the other food I was cautious about were prawns. I still feel a little nervous eating prawns from time to time, and i sometimes avoid them, but mostly I eat and enjoy them. I have never had an allergic reaction to prawns, but they are another one of those high profile allergens so i get a little nervous eating them. Nothing too bad and often times I'm oblivious. All perfectly rational.

KK77
17-07-18, 18:35
I don't think it is good for one's mental health to not eat things for fear of having an allergic reaction to them if one hasn't had an allergic reaction to this thing before,

If you think it's not good "for one's mental health" to be overly cautious in not eating certain foods, I wonder whether there can be a psychosomatic reaction if that food is consumed due to anxiety and fear? Eg, you eating prawns...

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 18:54
Worrying about developing something that you don't currently have is absolutely 100% not rational.

There can be no solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and that is the madness of anxiety. You constantly look for that solution.

Completely disagree. In fact I'd say you are irrational for saying so. You seem to suggest that all Health Anxiety is baseless and irrational where it is not.

People have their reasons for their fears. Now you can call these people irrational, or you can listen to what they have to say and explain that they probably don't have it or really need not worry because if they did have something then they would exhibit symptoms A, B, or C. That's where the response gets really helpful.

Now in the original poster's case there is no reason to believe he has a nut allergy but his caution is understandable. So we have a choice. We can unfairly call his thinking irrational, or we can acknowledge the fears as having some basis in reality but explain that really he need not worry because he exhibits no signs of that allergy, and that worrying about nuts may cause him undue worry, and that this is not healthy. But at the end of the day if he wishes to exercise caution we are not going to label him as "irrational" for exercising a basic survival skill.

p.s. these lightning bolt comparisons are really so way off like for like.

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

If you think it's not good "for one's mental health" to be overly cautious in not eating certain foods, I wonder whether there can be a psychosomatic reaction if that food is consumed due to anxiety and fear? Eg, you eating prawns...

A very interesting point. I've been moderately fearful a few times eating prawns but never had a reaction. I guess they are just too damned delicious. :)

I think the psychosomatic reaction one might have is the blocked throat feeling or the gag reflex, but I've never heard of somebody psychosomatically developing a rash or hives from food they consumed and feared.

The most scary thing for me with allergies is the interaction with PPIs. When i went to the allergist he described some of my wide range of allergies as "true allergies" and some as not. What he meant by this is in his opinion some things that I was allergic to were probably only if I took too much of my PPIs.

Also with nuts I am apparently most allergic to hazelnuts, but not at all allergic to cashew nuts, but the allergist said cashew nuts are best avoided, given they may often mix with other nuts, and also sometimes i might not tell the difference. So in essence i'm avoiding a nut that I'm not allergic to.

And pine nuts stress me out although they are not actually nuts, they are seeds, but they look like nuts and my other half often doesn't read labels properly. Basically nuts are a minefield for me.

I was so stressed in the shops reading all the items that "may contain nuts". I went for months not eating them but in the end felt that the stress and worry this was causing me was too much so I decided that "may contains nuts" was something I was prepared to risk, and that I would have my antihistamines and EpiPen handy just in case.

Allergies are such a big thing these days and I know so many people who have had allergic reactions out of the blue, only one other with anaphylaxis, most allergic reactions are not that severe, so i think it's perfectly rational for people to be cautious, but I personally wouldn't recommend completely avoiding these things ahead of time.

dus1996
17-07-18, 18:58
Guys i know it's not normal to worry about an allergy that doesnt exist and hundreds of people eat nuts everyday without worrying and they're totally fine.. i just ate some hazelnuts and im okay for now i just thought i dont have to care.. i have the same possibilities for an allergy to happen to me as others do.... but even the minor possibility makes me worry a little but im working on it...

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 19:12
Guys i know it's not normal to worry about an allergy that doesnt exist and hundreds of people eat nuts everyday without worrying and they're totally fine.. i just ate some hazelnuts and im okay for now i just thought i dont have to care.. i have the same possibilities for an allergy to happen to me as others do.... but even the minor possibility makes me worry a little but im working on it...

I remember the taste of hazelnuts and I miss them. Enjoy! :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

I am now also thinking about Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. If I was not actually 100% proven allergic, nothing would stop me from eating them. :blush:

Fishmanpa
17-07-18, 19:12
Intentionally breaking my nuts isn't called for :roflmao: I much prefer mine shelled and mixed thank you!

https://media.giphy.com/media/zV9xqOc03a7Ju/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 19:57
Intentionally breaking my nuts isn't called for :roflmao: I much prefer mine shelled and mixed thank you!

Haha... take it easy mate. :)

ankietyjoe
17-07-18, 21:15
People have their reasons for their fears. Now you can call these people irrational, or you can listen to what they have to say and explain that they probably don't have it or really need not worry because if they did have something then they would exhibit symptoms A, B, or C. That's where the response gets really helpful.

I didn't call the person irrational, I said the fear of something that hasn't happened is irrational. There is a distinct difference.

Quite often, people who have a health anxiety don't need to hear that A is unlikely because of B etc. These people will quickly move on to another fear anyway. If the OP decided that this particular allergy is nothing to worry about, then it will then move on to another food type.

The key, is usually to change the way you think about fears. The OP describes a fear of eating nuts, but eats them anyway. There are plenty of techniques and processes to ascertain whether they actually have an allergy to something or not, and that's what they should really be doing. If the allergy is present, then avoid that food. If it's not, go nuts......

Worrying if something might happen serves no purpose, and is learned thinking that can be altered.

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 21:32
I didn't call the person irrational, I said the fear of something that hasn't happened is irrational. There is a distinct difference.

Quite often, people who have a health anxiety don't need to hear that A is unlikely because of B etc. These people will quickly move on to another fear anyway. If the OP decided that this particular allergy is nothing to worry about, then it will then move on to another food type.

Can't agree with any of this. Sorry, this is just so lacking in common sense, or any actual experience of health anxiety I have had. Anyhow I think judging from a few past discussions we have had we are just on a different wavelength. Agree to disagree.

Scass
17-07-18, 21:42
Do allergies run in your family OP? Have you ever had an allergic reaction to anything?

I have allergies to a few things, but not nuts. I’m not nervous about eating nuts for fear of getting an allergic reaction.

I don’t push the things that I’m already allergic to, like I wouldn’t smoosh my face in a full hoover bag due to my dust allergy.

I think that the OP will have only taken from this thread that he’s right not to eat nuts because someone else randomly got allergic to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GiantMogwai
17-07-18, 21:58
Do allergies run in your family OP? Have you ever had an allergic reaction to anything?

I have allergies to a few things, but not nuts. I’m not nervous about eating nuts for fear of getting an allergic reaction.

I don’t push the things that I’m already allergic to, like I wouldn’t smoosh my face in a full hoover bag due to my dust allergy.

I think that the OP will have only taken from this thread that he’s right not to eat nuts because someone else randomly got allergic to them.

Then you haven't read most of the content of the posts including the OP's original post where he describes an allergy he does have, and the posts where he says he has just eaten some hazelnuts and will try not to worry about stuff.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

The last post from the OP.

Scass
17-07-18, 22:17
Then you haven't read most of the content of the posts including the OP's original post where he describes an allergy he does have, and the posts where he says he has just eaten some hazelnuts and will try not to worry about stuff.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

The last post from the OP.

Apologies. There was so much outrage on the thread that I forgot that bit.
I’m sure he’s absolutely fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk