PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a tightness around my neck

sammiej123
18-07-18, 13:14
I am going through a really bad time at the moment - posted yesterday as just came out of hospital and hating taking antibiotics my anxiety is a lot worse - does anyone ever feel like a tightness around their neck/throat I am trying so hard to distract myself as I am on my own and worrying it might be the antibiotics... Please help I have no one else to talk to and don't know what I would do without this site... It happened to me yesterday but it passed off after a long time.. I am so worried..

elysemarie123
18-07-18, 13:18
Hi Sammy J -- what you are describing sounds like tension to me. Whenever I am anxious it manifests in the back of my neck and my temples (usually only on one side). If you were just at the doctor, and they didn't find anything, you are fine! Please try to relax any way possible. Get engulfed in a Netflix show, go out for a walk, SOMETHING. Worrying about something is not going to stop it from happening. Try to accept that anything can happen at any moment and you are just along for the ride!

sammiej123
18-07-18, 13:24
I have been trying to watch Netflix etc but it is still affecting me. I went in to hospital with a stomach complaint which they haven't really diagnosed just that it was an infection.. I am trying really hard to distract myself.. I hate this. thank you for responding to me though:)

elysemarie123
18-07-18, 13:35
Trust me -- I completely understand. It's easier said than done! I work in a hospital and doctors do not release you if they suspect something is wrong. Just remember they are trained (for upwards of 15 years) to do that and we are not!

Fishmanpa
18-07-18, 14:38
Very common anxiety symptom. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Throat_tighteningChokingSwallowing_proble ms)

Treating your anxiety will help prevent the symptoms associated with it.

Positive thoughts

sammiej123
18-07-18, 18:03
Thank you so much for the links so helpful!!! I also get the legs thing where I feel I can’t walk and the feeling I can’t breathe. I am so grateful for your time 😊

Fishmanpa
18-07-18, 18:15
Thank you so much for the links so helpful!!! I also get the legs thing where I feel I can’t walk and the feeling I can’t breathe. I am so grateful for your time 😊

Anxiety definitely causes real physical symptoms. I'm not a sufferer but when my wife was in the hospital, I had many of the stress related symptoms on that list, insomnia, loss of appetite, twitching etc. Once things settled down, that all went away :)

Positive thoughts

sammiej123
24-07-18, 16:48
Hi again. I have posted about this previously I’ve had it on and off every day for a week now and it’s ruining my life. I’m off work at present as I had a visit to hospital with stomach problem but no diagnosis just that it was probably some kind of infection.
Does anyone know of anything else that could be causing this ? If not how can I get rid of it. I keep trying to distract myself and hoping each day it will jo away. I can’t work like this and I’m scared I’ll lose my job! Any help greatly appreciated
Thank you lovely people x

sammiej123
13-08-18, 15:25
I have had problems with my neck for almost a month and it is really ruining my life and making me depressed. GP checked throat and glands all ok. general blood test not really showing any significant changes. he thinks its muscular. I have now arranged to go and see a chiropractor as I am wondering whether it is tension caused by anxiety and because I am focusing on it, it isn't improving.. Please can anyone help!!! I would be so grateful..

ErinKC
13-08-18, 15:42
This could definitely be anxiety related. Also, maybe some reflux. I get reflux sometimes without heartburn. It's more in my thoat and feels like my throat is tightening up and I might choke. It helps if I drink some tea and have an antacid. But sometimes takes a while to pass.

sammiej123
13-08-18, 16:05
Thanks for taking time to reply. My GP doesn't think it is acid reflux - I don't get the lump in the throat but I get the feeling of being strangled - I have tried antacids, gaviscon etc no change.. It is really getting me depressed now..

venusbluejeans
13-08-18, 23:48
This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

rascal
30-11-18, 15:45
I get a feeling of tightness almost a lump in my throat it’s so annoying and seems to be worse if I tilt my head up down or to the left or right
I can swallow fine so know it’s not a physical obstruction but it does stress me out and make my anxiety worse
You are not alone

mill6tee7
13-02-19, 10:01
90% of these symptoms are caused by tension through worry and or fear that something is medically wrong, its pure anxiety, as my old mum used to say 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'!!....

BlueIris
13-02-19, 10:06
I always used to get this when I was having a really violent panic attack - it's a horrible feeling.