PDA

View Full Version : Simple Explanation?!

nbs1
01-08-07, 08:44
my anxiety/p.a's usually concern my chest and heart. they have been a lot better since i came back from holiday with my g/f and i even managed to play tennis a few times and do light gym sessions.

however after a heavy saturday in the pub, i felt awful on sunday and mon. i still tried to go back to football trainin on mon night for the first time in 6months. it was a disaster. i had to stop 10 mins in as my chest was so sore. my anxiety was awful and i gave up straight away, worried that if i continued summin bad would happen.

this then led to another awful day at work yest(work always used to be a trigger for feelin awful). i feel like my shirt is closing in on my chest and spend the whole day with a hand putting pressure on my chest. then in the car home wiv my g/f i was holding my seatbelt away from my chest(again when im anxious i feel like it is closing in on my chest). i accidentaly let it go and it hit my chest. something horrible happened and for a few split seconds something felt like it was squeezing in my chest. my g/f got a real fright cos i jumped and my face/lips went white as a ghost.

are all these feelings normal and can the whiteness simply be explained by the fact i got such a shock/fright????
ive been getting so much better and the last 3 days have felt like such a backward step. i got really down for a wee bit last night, but with help managed to pick myself up again. its just so frustrating when it feels like your taking 1 step forward, 2 steps back!

my next step is to try to go tee-total for a while and see if that helps. not gonna be easy tho!!

50cent84
01-08-07, 16:51
hi mate.

noticed know one has put a comment just like on mine so though i would on yours. i have read your article and seems like your really sencative with ur chest, have you spoke to your doc. maybe he can help? just a thought mate:winks:

GrafGrau
02-08-07, 09:50
I saw myself in what you have written. So many times I start to feel as though my chest is tightening, only to find it is my shirt, or my tie or even my ID Badge! 2 months ago I used to wear a tshirt beneath my shirt and I had to stop wearing them when this happened because they get clingy in the heat. I also put my hand on my chest all the time, especially now when in bed.

Have you seen any health professionals regarding your anxiety? I find it helps.

My apetite is fluctuates quite wildly now and I find that sometimes when I have not eaten for a long while I start to get the feelings in my chest. If I eat something, like a banana or a sandwich I tend to feel a whole lot better. Try going for the eat small often trick, it might help too.

Lindalou64
02-08-07, 12:45
Hello Nbs,
Sounds Like Anxiety Especially When Ya Said You Were Doing So Well Till Ya Drank...alcohol Can Trigger Panic Anxiety Depression...your Right On The Small Meals That Helps...have You Had A Physical? Just To Rule Everything Out...but It Sounds Like Anxiety To Me For I Get This At Times My Worse Is Hyperventalating..i Wish Ya The Best........linda X

Phill2
03-08-07, 12:42
I think you'll find going teetotal will make a BIG difference
Phill :shades:

Trev
03-08-07, 16:27
Hi nbs1, assuming you have had medical tests that have come back ok then, yes, it can all be explained by anxiety.

Your situation is so similar to what I went through. I eventually got back to palying football but it wasn't without a panic or two and alot of stop/starting.

I also used to be constantly pulling the seatbelt away from my chest in the car. Face/lips going white can be explained by the draining of blood from the non essential areas in the fight/flight reaction where your body directs the blood to where it thinks it is suddenly going to need it.....i.e. your big muscle groups involved with running or fighting.

The chest tightness and soreness is most likely muscle tension which is kept alive by the fear of the sensations. Sets up a nice vicious circle of fear....tension....pain....fear....more tension....more/continued pain....etc. :mad:

Areas you might want to look at...........

1) Regular relaxation and muscle stretching. Massage, yoga, relaxation CD's all good.
2) Confidence building through medical examination.
3) Distraction. Do something you like doing that takes your mind of it all as much as possible.
4) Cutting out the booze for a little while or at least phasing the amount down for a bit. I always found hangovers were a great way of getting all the cr*p feelings going.
5) Accepting it ain't going to stop overnight. Two steps forward, one back is pretty common. Trick is to not see it as a step back. It's just part of the way this thing goes and in order to have a blip you must have had a good period.
6) Managing the things that wind you up. Cut out all the hassle you can and add in a planned relaxation period each day, even if it's only 30 mins or so.

Stick with it, you can get through it but you just have to change those thought patterns of "what if?". Easy said I know!

Doing things is the only way though at the end of the day, and remember that exercise is good for you as it's using those panic chemicals for what they were meant for. :D

Cheers,
Trev