PDA

View Full Version : Hyperventalation syndrome & dizziness

mirry
03-08-07, 09:55
This dizziness is 24/7 so Ive just ordered a book all about hyperventalation syndrome by Dinah Bradley on Amazon.
Then I found this write up about her .....

http://www.buteyko.co.nz/products/hvs/author.cfm

Has anyone heard of her before or read her books ?

Trev
03-08-07, 10:06
Yeah, I've got one of her books. I ended up buying two on hyperventilation, one by her and one by another author.

It all makes sense and I found it does work. I guess it's why yoga can be quite helpful as there is a focus on breath control within that.

Good luck with it. :D

mirry
03-08-07, 11:09
Thanks Trev, I look forward to it arriving :yesyes: .

Piglet
03-08-07, 13:23
The Dinah Bradley book is the one I recommend time and time again on the subject of Hyperventilation - it's a really easy read and explains it all so well.

It's one of mine and LJ's favourites. :yesyes:

Love Piglet :flowers:

Quirky
06-08-07, 01:03
It's one of mine and LJ's favourites. :yesyes:

Yes Piglet is right there. This is a great book Mirry, very informative and easy to read. It really helped me understand hyperventitation alot better and even now I very occasionally refer back to it.

Lisa x

mirry
06-08-07, 08:02
Thanks everyone, its funny I dont feel like I hyperventalate but apparently it can be hard to spot ?

will let you all know how I get on XXX

Insomniac
06-08-07, 11:41
hi Mirry.

Thanks for the link its interesting reading.

I read somewhere that You can hyperventilate without realising it. I find that I have to drop my shoulders quite often, especially when I feel that there's a lot going on. Then I realise that my chest feels tight and I am not breathing properly.

Then I try to folow the advice I found here about breathing. Making my out-breath longer than my inbreath starts to even things out a bit. I usually aim for a count of 4 on my in breath, then 5 or 6 depending on how much I can manage. Sometimes at first its really difficult, because my chest feels to tight to manage it, but things slowly start to ease off.

Muscle relaxtion exercises help too, tensing and relaxing each muscle in turn with in breath and relaxing on the outbreath. I usually start with my feet and work my way up.

:hugs:

I better go do some now!!

neptuno
06-08-07, 14:36
Hello Mirry !
Several years ago I went on a course to learn Buteyko breathing - which is primarily for asthma sufferers - but it helps with a whole load of things. Its based on the theory that we over-breathe (hyperventilate) and take in too much oxygen (hence the dizziness), and teaches exercises to get the oxygen / carbon dioxide balance right and bring the pulse rate down. One of the benfits of this is that correct breathing makes it impossible to trigger a panic attack i.e. can't panic and relax at the same time !

There's a great book about this called "Freedom From Asthma" by Alexander Stalmatski which I found easy to get out from the library. If you want more info about the technique let me know.
Be kind to yourself

mirry
07-08-07, 13:31
Thanks for the replys everyone, I still havent had any post yet today (hoping it will arrive) , I find it all very interesting cos I do think I over breath alot.

I also have asthma, so if it helps both problems then that would be fab !

Trev
07-08-07, 15:50
Close Your Mouth is the other one I've got and that is a good book as well. Might be worth a look. It's here :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Close-Your-Mouth-Buteyko-Breathing/dp/0954599616/ref=pd_bowtega_1/203-1750866-4460700?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186498138&sr=1-1

goes into other stuff as well such as breathing during exercise, etc.

Piglet
07-08-07, 16:36
Close your mouth ......... mmmmm......well I never!! How would I say all the important things I have to impart??

Another good one is by Gay Hendricks with lots of breathing exercises to try.

Piglet :flowers:

Trev
07-08-07, 16:58
.........or spit your Rolos out? :shrug:

Not a book for you Piglet I think.

Piglet
07-08-07, 18:18
Piglet sighs with relief and thinks she will use the money she's saved on the book to buy some of the new rice infused pringles! All in all a win win!!:yesyes:

Piglet :flowers: