PDA

View Full Version : I feel rubbish!

northern_sky
03-08-07, 20:22
I had my last big anxiety/panic 5 weeks ago on a Friday while watching Big Brother on tv. Back then I was convinced I had heart problems even though I have had ECGs and blood tests (3 months ago) and the doc said I was ok. Every night now when I watch BB I feel really anxious... :blush: especially Fridays, I can't stop though.

Since then I have been put on low dose beta blockers, I felt bad for the first few days (coughing and thought I was short of breath) then a bit better but still very anxious.

This week my dose has been doubled (still low 20mg three times a day) and again I feel really anxious, I have been convinced I have asthma for ages even though I have had a spirometry test (came back fine) and I think I can't breathe a lot of the time especially at night (9 - 11). This is also the time of day I first had a panic attack (and second and third)... so I can see a connection!

Tonight (and a lot of today and yesterday) I felt dizzy, headaches, I have a dry mouth, breathlessness and my chest is sort of rumbling!

I just want to feel better. I haven't had a drink in 5 weeks but last time I had a big attack I started drinking again after a few weeks and it helped me relax. But then I started drinking too much again and I had palpitations etc so I stopped again.

I actually feel much calmer at the computer which is why I came on here, but I know when I go to watch tv I'll feel bad again. :weep:

If anyone reads this, thanks. :blush: I think I may start a blog to moan about my anxiety! :blush:

nomorepanic
03-08-07, 20:35
This is called association.

I get this with my driving and a few other problems.

I panic'd in a certain situation so I am BOUND to panic next time I go there.

We remember things and then we expect the panic to come and guess what - it does! It is just that you are seeing BB as a trigger for example whereas in fact it has nothing to do with it at all.

The secret is to keep doing what caused the panic until you re-train the brain to accept that it was a co-incidence and not a trigger.

I do this too - I keep doing the thing that causes the panic/anxiety and in time it loses the fear and power that you have given it.

You are feeding it with fear so it grows and grows and takes over.

Does that make sense?

nomorepanic
03-08-07, 20:38
Just to add to this....

I got panicky at work one day and I had been drinking tonic water. The next day I had tonic water I got panicky again so I associated the panic with drinking tonic water.

This went on for a few days until I was convinced I was allergic to it.

So I tried it outside of work and was fine!

I associate the panic at work with tonic and that was all.

Now I can drink it at work as well because I know it is not bad for me or is any way related to the panic I felt.

northern_sky
03-08-07, 21:42
Thanks. :) I know my body has nothing against BB really. :huh: I spent a few nights watching it in bed where I felt safe but I won't give in. I can't spend my life in bed. :lac:

I few weeks ago I was coughing all the way through it, literally all the way through it! I thought that was asthma and I was about to collapse but I guess not! :blush:

I'm thinking now I should of put this in the health anxiety forum... :blush: