PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Sweating - Bain of my life!

jaffacake
03-08-07, 23:11
Hello,

just browsing through the forum; I notice there isn't much on the issue of excessive sweating. It seems quite a common side-effect and gets mentioned alot on passing but I was wondering what any of you specific experiences were?

For me, it is what causes the anxiety and has led me to develop social phobia. Not entirely crippling (yet, touch wood) but at work I get bouts and it's gotten to the point each day I spend an age going through what clothes I can wear. I feel so silly; in the winter I can wear a jumper and cover any signs (though i'm sure it's not as bad as it feels most of the time) but in the summer I struggle. I've even turned down going to a friends wedding in the next few days purely based on this and the fact I don't want to look a sweaty mess in front of everyone. I feel so guilty I won't be there, but I just can't bring myself to go.

I work in education and spend periods each day up infront of people- I love the job but this sweating/anxiety is pulling me down; I wear jumpers, etc when infront of the large groups, even though the rooms can be quite hot. I get so annoyed with it all. I've tried thinking and isolating what sparks the anxiey; I am quite young to be in the working environment and feel conscious that i'm doing things wrong or not good enough, even though I get glowing reports and get on well with work collegues.

I bought a kleinert t-shirt to hide the sweat but so far haven't had the balls to wear it - only at a black-tie party where i'm not sure if it worked or not.

Sorry if my message is all over the place; just feeling a little lonely and wanted some advice really. Thanks for reading this,

Jaffacake :huh:

nomorepanic
03-08-07, 23:36
Go to search and click on advanced and enter sweating and search on subject only - loads of posts there.

jaffacake
03-08-07, 23:37
Ah-ha! Thankyou (me being too lazy...)!

lucy0927
05-08-07, 17:19
I'm not sure if this will help as I don't suffer from sweating too much myself but have you tried anything like the tight skins that cricketers wear to keep themselves cool in the field? I know you can get them from sport shops and apparently they really help to keep the body temparture cool which may help any sweating.

Nibbles
05-08-07, 19:33
Just a thought but do you think your sweating might be because you're wearing heavy clothes in hot places? As you say I'm sure it's not as bad as you think and if you wore light clothes it would reduce the sweating.

Take care,

Mike

happyone
05-08-07, 21:18
Is medication an option for you?
There is a simple patch I believe you can get from doc to help with this.

happyone
xx

honeybee
06-08-07, 00:05
i haven't admitted this to anyone - no one knows because im so embarassed by it... but im just like you... well i was!!!

if i was to wear a tshirt i'd end up with sweat marks down to my waist from my armpits (and that was just after ghaving to talk to someone)... like you i always wore jumpers,during school and work i always had to wear extra layers under my uniform so it wsnt noticable but i went to the doctors and got some 'anhydrol forte'.... its a roll-on that you apply in the evening and wash off in the morning, you use it every night for about a week and it stops all sweating than you reduce the amount of times you need to use it... i started using it about 18 months ago and now i only need it about once every 3 months... i always wear tight fitting tops and never have any problems with sweat anymore... im not sure what the effectsof using it long term are, prob not so great if i end up using it all my life but it works and thats all that i care about at the mo

happyone
06-08-07, 18:42
I should have said when I posted, I sweat excessively when stressed. I don't usually worry about it though as once it has got to that stage, I look so wound up that people forgive me anything!

happyone
xx

Ellen70
06-08-07, 19:08
Hi, whilst on the subject of excessive sweating, I was wondering if anyone had a problem with facial sweating?

I always feel very hot when everyone else thinks the weather is cool, my body temperature just seems to be higher that other peoples. However the worst part of it for me is that I perspire an awful lot from my face. Sweat will actually trickle down my face and people have commented on it numerous times. My GP says there isn't any anti perspirant specifically for the face and I have spent hours trying to find one on the net to no avail. I just always feel too hot, it isn't related to my anxiety, and am wondering if anyone else feels like this?

Ellen

jaffacake
07-09-07, 01:25
Thanks for all you suggestions... I haven't really progressed any further - though I think i'm going to invest in a couple of those under shirt things. I do have the feeling it's not that bad but I just over-react, my mind goes into overdrive then it does get worse. I think I do also wear too many clothes (or too many heavy ones) which just makes the situaiton worse - but I feel safer.

I have learnt to deal with mild sweating by investing in some adidas nad nike climacool t-shirts I wear whenever appropriate and this eases my mind which in turn eases the sweating.

I really am caught in a cycle here!

Oh well......

soozpkwik
08-09-07, 16:18
I wish someone could give answers to the excessive sweating. I empathise with Ellen as my thermostat seems to be stuck on overheat too, I'm always hot. Though I do feel the heat all over, mostly I sweat from my neck up. I dance as a hobby and as a way of getting over my socialphobia but it's so hard when I feel I look sweaty. I have had to grow my hair to tie it up cause when I wore it short (cooler) it was stuck to my head with sweat. At least tied up it looks a bit better.
Anxiety just cranks it up even more, and have to carry wet wipes and a towel with me - so ladylike. It's actually quite depressing at times.
Even the climacool stuff don't work on your head??

chillx
09-09-07, 21:30
Hi

I understand your problem as I too suffer from this. I was so anxious speaking to someone this week that at the end of the conversation the sweat was visible around my middle. :blush: Like Ellen I also have experienced sweat trickling down my face. It is terrible! I tend to wear light coloured tops i.e cream and white and it is not as visible.

I am overweight and I don't think this helps but anxiety definately is the main cause.

Gordon
11-10-07, 14:47
I sometimes sweat quite profusely from my head and face, I was told it was because I'm overweight but maybe it's because of the stress?

Gordon

tuddy
16-10-07, 20:02
hello my son suffers so much with the sweating its unreal its a nightmare for him i really do not know what to say or do for at times i feel for him but i just do not know where to go and what to say

Bill
25-10-07, 01:00
I know I'm late in suggesting this but I tend to sweat alot too so I asked my doctor. She advised me to use Driclor solution which she said could be used on any area where I sweat alot. It's supposed to work for ages but I must admit I've not tried it as yet because of the cool summer.

The other suggestion she said which you probably already know is to wear cotton rather than polyester because cotton allows the skin to breathe.

jaffacake
03-11-07, 22:39
Well...

I tried an undershirt from Kleinerts just on a night out. I wasn't feeling particularly stress but knew i'd end up in a club so thought i'd try it out.

And the result...

It was rubbish.

It has underarm pads sewn in to prevent it showing there but this was the worst place it was visible! I only found out when I looked through some pictures a short while after the club.

Not impressed.

I felt better about it a few weeks back, now I just seem to be down in the dumps again. I have a wedding soon where I need to give a public speech and I just don't know what to do (keep my suit on all the time to hide any signs I suppose - but then this makes me hot.....) - so the cycle continues.

My next stop is going to be hypnotherapy I think - I can identify when i'm panicy and can think rationally as to why in each situation, but then I just get angry with myself for feeling that way. I think it's something to do with my confidence and self perception (i.e. it's not very high!)

On a plus, I shared some of my thoughts/worries with my girlfriend recently and she's been great, really supportive (as best she can).

Better than when I told a, now, ex I thought I was turning schizophrenic because I was thinking constantly all the time, etc. That didn't last long after that... in fact that killed the relationship - probably for the best right there! lol!

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions... onwards and upwards!

johnk
28-11-07, 01:42
I wish someone could give answers to the excessive sweating. I empathise with Ellen as my thermostat seems to be stuck on overheat too, I'm always hot. Though I do feel the heat all over, mostly I sweat from my neck up. I dance as a hobby and as a way of getting over my socialphobia but it's so hard when I feel I look sweaty. I have had to grow my hair to tie it up cause when I wore it short (cooler) it was stuck to my head with sweat. At least tied up it looks a bit better.
Anxiety just cranks it up even more, and have to carry wet wipes and a towel with me - so ladylike. It's actually quite depressing at times.
Even the climacool stuff don't work on your head??

I have exactly the same problem as this and I too dance for the same reason, it can be very depressing and i make lots of excuses- is there anything you can use on your head to stop :shrug: sweating?