PDA

View Full Version : New guy, hello all.

Boostjunky
04-08-07, 14:08
Where to start, I'm 25 yr old male currently suffering from full blown panic disorder. I suffer from severe panic attacks that often go so far it results in me passing out, symptoms are, nausia, sickness, dizzyness and severe shakin in my arms and legs which people often mistake as convultions. At the beginning of the year I was having panic atacks upto 5 times a day, i've reached the point now where I only have anxiety attacks, however, i'm not doing all the things that sparked them. The triggers for my attacks were not random at all, infact very regular. They would happen if I went out on a night out, nighttime when I went to bed and if I try to travel away from home, I manage the first 50 mile then its all over and I have to come home. At this point I would like to state that I had this in exactly the same way when I was 17 but made a full recovery by 20. For instance from not being able to leave the house at 17, at 21 I did the paris dakar rally across africa, snowboarded round europe, I work as a plumber now and would regularly be away from home in digs for weeks at a time. Unfortunately at the beginning of this year it came back. I went to a party where people were smoking cannabis, I dont smoke it but being in the room inhaling it was enough to give me my first panic attack after 5 years without them. In the last 8 months i've tried prescription drugs from a GP, very bad experience, herbal remedies, seem to help, hypnotherapy and psychotherapy. Got about half way there, I can sleep, I can go out up town at the weekend as long as I dont drink, still cant travel though so feel like i've tried everything and hit a brick wall. This website has been recommended to me as I was unaware of it, any ideas of where to go next and if anyone wishes to pick my brains on any routes i've taken or simply want to ask a few questions please fell free.
cheers:)

angiebaby
04-08-07, 14:34
Hello there and welcome to the site. You will find everyone here really helpful and friendly. And we know what you are going through!!
Have you read Self help for your nerves by Claire Weekes, worth a try if you haven't. I keep picking it up and having a read when i feel at my worst, she was an amazingly clever woman.
I'm stil trying to float over the symptoms and not paying any attention to them, but it is so very difficult, but i keep trying.
I hope that you will find this site as useful as me and i am sure that many people will be along shortly to give you some helpful advice. Be sure to read all about the site and through the main menu, helpful stuff there too.
Good luck.

honeybee3939
04-08-07, 14:41
Hi

And welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, while making new friends too.:)

It sounds like you have already made some good progress hun, thats great to hear:), if you have a good look around the site im sure you will find lots of information to help you get that little bit futhur, this site as helped me so much and im sure it can help you too :) .

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

PUGLETMUM
04-08-07, 16:37
:) hiya, i would suggest you try to get some cbt therapy if you have'nt already had it? and i would suggest going private so you can have the weeks that you will need as what you will be offered on nhs you will probably have to wait for and you will almost certainly get a limited time. you can find an accredited therapist through the links on here down the left (i think its in the finding help section) emma

Southern_Belle
04-08-07, 17:22
Hi,

Welcome to NMP. As Andrea said you have made progress and that is wonderful but I can imagine how frustrating it is to not go any further. Are you done with therapy? Some of the breathing techniques that you can read about here on the forum will help and if you go in the chat room alot of people can give you their ideas too. You will get support here which always helps. Glad you heard of us.

Laura

groovygranny
04-08-07, 19:44
Hello bootsjunky :welcome:to you!

Crikey, Rally-ing and snowboarding across Europe - what an achievement!

As is your progress :).

Sorry you've hit a bit of a brick wall, but you've come to the right place for help to get over it!

This road can be very rocky indeed - but you'll get plenty of support here !

Pleased to meet you!

:)

Nibbles
04-08-07, 22:07
Hi Bootsjunky and :welcome:

Youll get loads of support and advice here while making new friends along the way. Well done for coming through and doing all those fantastic things like the rally! :yesyes: I'm glad things are improving now too and hope nmp can help you climb over the wall. If you've had success with herbal remedies in the past you might like to try Rescue Remedy if you haven't before.

Take care,

Mike

Lindalou64
05-08-07, 14:01
HELLO BOOTSJUNKY
WELCOME, YOU WILL FIND LOTS OF INFO AND SUPPORT HERE I WISH YA THE BEST...........LINDA

trac67
06-08-07, 16:03
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

nomorepanic
06-08-07, 19:00
Hi and a warm :welcome: aboard.

Lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

Pink Princess
07-08-07, 13:54
http://www.house2homeideas.com/images/CE84464.jpg

love minnie xxxxxxxx