PDA

View Full Version : Don't believe i am me!

angiebaby
04-08-07, 22:38
Hi there, i have been doing really well with the unreality that i suffer from. I am learning to just accept it and let it happen until it goes away, learning not to be so scared of it. Accept and float over it as Claire Weekes says. It is hard but practice makes perfect and i will get there i suppose. However, i just wondered if anyone had the 'i don't believe i am me' bit, a little like unreality i suppose but more focused on you and you on the inside, your existance so to speak. It is hard to explain, but i was just sitting here talking to my hubby and then all of a sudden like a wave it came over me. First i felt like i can't believe i am who i am, and i have parents and i am married etc, etc. Like i say i am trying to cope and eventually get rid of the unreality, i hope, but the not believing i am me stuff is nasty too. Anyone know what this is like and have any helpful hints for me please. Thanks in advance.xx

Tom_M
04-08-07, 22:49
Stop worrying Angiebaby, it's not that uncommon to be suddenly aware of your existence as a person. Like I said in another thread about depersonalization, we suddenly become aware of ourselves, feeling as though we are in a huge robot, operating our own body. I'm sure if you stop worrying about it and just accept that it happens to a lot of people, then it will gradually go away

angiebaby
04-08-07, 22:54
Thankyou Tom, yes i think i commented on your post on depersonalization as being a great way of putting it. Thanks for understanding, it is scary though isn't it?xx

Seffie
05-08-07, 17:35
Hi Angie,
I don't get DP / DR very often now but when I did get it I remember sitting talking to my husband & looking at him & I knew it was my husband but it was like I didn't recognise him, like looking at a stranger. It's hard to explain-it's like I knew him but I didn't all at the same time!!
It only happened once but it is very unpleasant so I'm sorry you're suffering with this. You really do just have to ignore it & accept it as just the weird stuff that goes with anxiety. The more you focus on it the worse it gets. Once I understood what it was I lost my fear of it & now I only get it once in a blue moon, maybe during a panic attack, but ignoring it definitely got rid of it for me.
Hope this helps!
Seffie xx

Seffie
05-08-07, 17:39
Hi again Angie,
sorry-I just re-read your post & you were mostly asking about the 'not believing I'm me' stuff. I haven't really had that but it is all just part & parcel of the same thing. Abit like other anxiety symptoms, it manifests itself in different forms. Anxiety etc likes to keep us on our toes!!
Please try not to let it bother you & it will eventually disappear.
Seffie xx

Aussie
07-08-07, 06:43
I am feeling the exact same way at the moment. The last time i had it, it did eventually pass, but for some reason i feel like this is how i'm going to be forever, although deep inside i know it's not true.

I hate feeling like i'm on autopilot, and that my brain is distant from the things my body is doing. I am suprised i can manage so well on Autopilot!!
I also feel like nothing around me is real, like i'm living in the Matrix. I know that rationally things around me are real. I just hope that it will pass, it doesn't scare me anymore, i just don't want to feel like this for the rest of my life. I don't want it all to pass me by while i'm in autopilot mode.

I have gotten thru it before, so i just hold onto that, knowing that hopefully it will pass.