PDA

View Full Version : A lot of thinking over 2 Years

tulip123
05-08-07, 18:30
Hi everyone. I haven't contribute for some time....

I have been trying to work out why I suffer from acute anxiety at certain parts of the year and not at others. Over the last 2 years I have seen a pattern forming up. I have tried lots of things including anti depressants which turned out to be a big mistake at the time - I stopped taking it after 1 year. Its amazing that one minute I feel fine and then suddenly I get weeks of torment until it all wares off again. It's always this time of year that it gets especially bad - early August. After Christmas is also a very bad time too. I work in a stressful job where I find that I have no problems with the anxiety during term time and now I start to dread the holidays!!!! My thoughts have been racing all day I now I feel panicy and out of breath.

Also for some strange reason - things seem to become almost unbearable at six o clock. I cannot understand why. After that things tend to settle down. It depends if I'm going through anxiety or not but I definietly thing a lot of it is time based.

Thanks for letting me vent. Its good to be writing again.

Tulip

Piglet
05-08-07, 18:36
Tulip I used to have definate 'times' too. I had a few months of always feeling worse in the evening just after dinner - infact this could definately be connected cos I tended to get palpitations, which I heard could have been triggered by eating my dinner too fast and getting wind. So I addressed that by eating much slower.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you can find a definate pattern and see what about your behaviour at these times could be contributing then you maybe able to make little changes. :yesyes:

All the best.

Piglet :flowers:

tulip123
05-08-07, 18:58
I always feel much better after eating a good meal. It's the time before I eat when the stomach is empty I may need to look at. I always find cerials good thing to eat just before sleeping. It settles the stomach. All I can say thank god I have made posts when I am going through my worst periods. I'm really starting to see a partten.

Tulip

Insomniac
06-08-07, 10:55
Hi Tulip

Finding a pattern is a good thing because it helps you see where you can try to take measures to prevent anxiety.

I find that if I am hungry and my bloody sugar is low I feel more panicky, also if I don't keep up with my sleep - when I'm tired I get more palpitations and disorientated.

Eating well really does help me, so breakfast a decent lunch and dinner are a must. If I eat junk or skip meals I get IBS too so there's another incentive for me. Much as I love chocolate etc, if I eat more slow energy release foods like malted or granary bread, protein for lunch like egg, cheese or chicken it makes my day much smoother. Also I usually keep a cereal bar or oat-style snack handy to keep me level if I get held up and over-tired/hungry.

I am much better during term time too. The summer hols are hotter and more random days, I am better with the stability of work and distraction from my thoughts or distraction from looking for symptoms of anxiety!

Sometimes evenings are when I notice twitches or palpitations because I am sitting still doing nothing else, and any adrenaline caused by the anxiety that hasn't been burnt off is rushing around my body which is trying to relax. Getting moving or just doing some stretches/relaxation exercises makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

tulip123
06-08-07, 12:02
Its so ironic, I can take the stress of being a teacher quite well, but directly its the part of the holidays which has no set programme I copletely collapse under the pressure. I did a five mile run this morning and I'm out shopping this afternoon. Plus I have lots of things booked up for later on in the 6 weeks. It's probably just now I feel very lonely and I start to panic. As for food anxiety takes your appertite away but eating something makes one feel much better - perhaps I should try eating properly at five and see if this six o'lclock low is better.

My big goal is to get to the bottom of this periodical anxiety - also I think that work has become my life a bit and when its not there I cannot cope.

Tulip

tulip123
06-08-07, 20:13
As a footnote to this. I'm also finding it hard recently as I lost my grandfather a few weeks ago from motor neurone disease and it has been effecting me in all kinds of ways. It is hard coming to terms with the loss of someone you love that has been there for you the whole of your life.

Tulip

Jaco45er
06-08-07, 20:27
Hi Tulip

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I can relate to some of what you say. I find January really hard, I also dread holidays.

I can thrive on work and pressure (not too much pressure mind) but when I have nothing to do, that's when I am susceptible to bouts of anxiety.

I often feel that too much time equals anxiety, ironic really as you are supposed to rest when stressed !!!!!!

Regards

Jaco

tulip123
06-08-07, 20:57
The first few weeks are usually ok bu by the third week I start to become very agitated. I had a big panic attack in the supermarket today whih never happens unless I'm really bad. I've also got jaw ache from clenching my teeth. I don't realise I'm doing it but when I'm stressed it tends to happen. Its a very bumpy ride. One minute I feel ok then suddenly I get a big wave of despair.

Tulip

mkeeley
07-08-07, 03:23
I gave up trying to find a pattern as I couldn't. I could feel OK for up to about 3 months, if I was v.lucky, then for no apparent reason would be back at square one. Same goes for things like the supermarket, I'd go every day and feel fine regardless of how busy it was then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, I'd start feeling anxious/panic when I went. I could never think of anything that had happened or that I'd done differently to cause the changes.

These days if I feel OK I don't think too much of it, although it's obviously nice. I no longer think "perhaps this could be the end of it" as I used to, I just try and make the most of the time.

tulip123
07-08-07, 17:20
Anxiety cab creep up on one unexpectently. Though I keep having acute problems at this time every year which I have discovered from my posts. I tend to fall apart during holidays. It is not from want of doing anything or remaining active which all help but never solve the problem. I bet you come september I will be feeling much better when settled back into work. It shouldn't work like that.

Tulip

tulip123
08-08-07, 11:09
I got this morning with no sleep and felt pretty desparate (rotton). It is a shame to feel like this on my holidays. I am just about to go on a long bike ride to shake it off and start from level 1 again. I will conquor this. I have in the past, I will now!!!!!!

Tulip

mystics
08-08-07, 11:21
Hi Tulip,
So sorry to hear you are feeling rotten this morning :hugs: for you.

Hope you enjoy your bike ride, we really should make the most of the sunshine

Brightest Angel Blessings
Mystics:flowers:

tulip123
08-08-07, 18:17
I did enjoy the sunshine - but hope to sleep well this evening. I was at death's door and now feel a little better after talking about it. No one can can wave a magic wand but it does help to talk about it to someone anyone. So many caring people in my life. I should believe I'm lucky.

Lindalou64
12-08-07, 15:19
HI TULIP
SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR LOSS, I HAVE CERTAIN MONTHS ALSO WHERE I FEEL AT MY WORSE.CHRISTMAS TIME AND WINTER BLUES......THE REASON FOR CHRISTMAS IS BECAUSE IVE BEEN IN HOSPITAL 2X VERY SICK DURING CHRISTMAS AND MISSING THE ONES I LOVE AND WINTER I JUST GET DOWN AS IM A BEACH BUM ......WELL REALLY HAVENT BEEN TO THE BEACH BEEN TO BUSY JUST A SAYING ALSO....I JUST FIND MYSELF MORE IN THE HOUSE IN THE WINTER TIME....AND AT TIMES MORNING WERE MY WORSE ALSO WAKE UP WITH A YUCK BELLY.....THINK ALOT GO THRU THIS.......WISH YA THE BEST.......LINDA XX