PDA

View Full Version : How do i help my sis??

Danuella
06-08-07, 16:17
Hi all,i'm not sure if i've posted this in the right forum but i'd really love some advice for my sis.I suffer from Anxiety,Panic disorder etc and for the past 2 years so has my big sis,i've tried to help her all i can,ie making sure she gets good treatment from docs,counselling etc and giving her advice as to how to cope wth the panic and stuff but this weekend we were having a real heart to heart and she really tried to figure whats going on(she never ever thinks about her life)and what her fears are and i just dont have a clue what advice to give her,her doc wont put her through to a cpn as he doesnt think she needs it,shes on medication for her depression.
She doesnt do any housework as when she thinks about doing it,it escalates in her head and she feels totally overwhelmed and just cant face doing it,i did advice her to not think about it and just do it,that didnt work,so i then suggested she just do 1 little thing like wash up,that didnt work either.
She doesnt like going out especially alone but she has no idea why,she says shes not scared but just doesnt like going out,she did used to be a carer and was out for 10 hours of the day and always rushing round so not sure if thats anything to do with it?
I have been to her doctors with her and although he was very sympethetic he didnt appear to take her seriously,she is a very big girl and is self concious of the fact and moving around can be difficult for her so i'm not sure if thats contributing too.
I'm really sorry this is so long but i am so close to my sis and i hate to see her like this when i feel i have no way to help her.
Hugs
xx

Nibbles
06-08-07, 18:17
Hi Danuella,

I'd try to get your sister to write her thoughts down so you can analyse them on paper. It might also be a good idea for her to keep a thoughts diary so you can look for any patterns in the anxiety etc. When your sister tackles something it's important to break the task into small chunks no matter how mundane it seems. To give your sister an incentive she could also plan a small treat for doing something. Lastly as well as tackling the anxiety I feel it's also important to have a hobby which you can turn to so time is spent relaxing.

Take care,

Mike

Aussie
08-08-07, 02:06
I often feel overwhelmed with tasks i know i have to do, but when i think them thru there is no reason for me to be scared, and by the time i'm finished i have no idea why it seemed to scare me so much.

Just being there for your sis is doing more for her than you probably realise.
Keep talking, share a joke, tell her you love her, i know i value my sis because i know that she is there for me.

NaturalBlondie
08-08-07, 02:12
Hi,
She sounds like she's going through a tough time at the mo, and needs your support. You need to just show her you love her and then hopefully common sense will prevail.
Take care,
Natural blonde xxxx

nic77
08-08-07, 04:27
shes lucky to have a great sister like you her and that might be why shes not getting the help she needs the doctor might think shes getting all the support she needs . the only thing i can advce is maybe seeing another doctor . my husband had a problem with the doctor he was seeing she wouldnt get him any help and he was really anoyed as he kept going and all she said was get a job but he has a social phobia and finds it hard to go out on his own so we went and spoke to another doctor and has been refered to see some one for cbt and he no longer takes medication as that made him worse

i really hope this works i went with my husband to see the other doctor so i could back him up on how bad he was maybe thats worth a try as well
good luck i hope it works out for your sister and you