PDA

View Full Version : Chest pains

malificent
30-12-04, 21:33
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if i was alone with the symptom of chest pains? I've read about it and turns out it's coz of the anxiety, sometimes it is all the way between my shoulders and other times just right in the middle of my chest, like indigestion or something.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, could you please explain how you cope with it? I'm only 19, i'm quite sure it's not a heart attack!!

Thanks all, hope you had a nice christmas

Lucy
xxx

nomorepanic
30-12-04, 21:36
Hi

This is from the website .....

Heart palpitations/chest pains
One of the most worrying symptoms is chest pains or a tight feeling in your chest. The immediate thought is "heart attack" or "stroke" and this only worries you more. You may also notice that your heartbeat is incredibly fast and again this leads to the worry that you will have a heart attack. There is no evidence that Panic and anxiety has any adverse effect on the heart and the pains are easily explained. When you start panicking the whole of you body becomes tense and your muscles tense up also. This is also true of the heart as after all it is just another (albeit very important) muscle.

The chest pains are due to the constricting of the heart muscles and apparently the best cure is to start exercising and stretching these muscles to relieve the pain. Although you may not feel like doing any exercise whilst getting these pains, try stretching your arms above and behind your head and bending over gently to relieve the pain. If you are worried that it may be a heart problem, then make an appointment to see your G.P. who will be able to rule out any heart problems.

If your G.P. has given you the all clear then do not be alarmed if the chest pains come back and last for more than a day and you think it is related to panic, although it is painful and worrying, the pains will go away if you try gentle exercise and not think about them.

Hope it helps

Nicola

Rennie1989
31-12-04, 22:47
I GET CHEST PAINS!!!

breath slowly and use your tummy to do so

Scooter Girl

Cookie
02-01-05, 15:44
Hi Lucy,

Chest pains and a racing heart are my worst symptoms that I suffer with(not to mention the other 101 things! lol.).

It took me a while to get my head around the fact that I wasn't going to have a heart attack when I very first started to suffer with them. Mine last for days at a time and range from bearable to excruciating.
Touch wood,(knocks on head) I haven't had any pains for a few weeks now. It does get better Lucy, and yes it is a symptom of anxiety/panic. I find that massage works best to relieve it a bit.
Hope I've been some help.:)

Shell.x