PDA

View Full Version : Reassurance

Frankie23
08-08-07, 11:40
Do you lot do different things to reassure yourself

For example:- every so often il check the pulse in my neck to see if i can still feel it? i didnt notice that i did this at first but everyone has noticed it

PUGLETMUM
08-08-07, 13:48
:) hi frankie23, these little things we do are called 'safety seeking' measures, and i think you'll find that EVERYONE on here has atleast one and some people like me have loads! so yes they are normal for people with anxiety. the only problem being that they actually interfere with you getting better!
it is very very hard to let go of all of these safety measures, but that would be the ultimate aim, as they are actually adding to the distress and prolonging the condition, like you check your pulse and then you feel a bit of relief? but even if you dont check your pulse your anxiety will go down anyway, and also just the act of checking your pulse is not going to stop anything happening to you is it? not sure why your checking it, is it that its still beating and your still alive or is it that its at an acceptable pace? either way your checking it has no impact on the performance of your heart!
this is just knowing more about the condition you have so it will be helpful for you to know this and you can maybe understand more about yourself, good luck with it emma