PDA

View Full Version : Hello, New and in need of some Advice/ Support!

manda8801
08-08-07, 17:28
Hi all. My name is Amanda and I am only 18 years old.:wacko: I have been dealing with anxiety and panic attack issues for a little over a year now. I never really thought that it would effect my life and limit me so much, but at last it has trapped me. I feel a completely different person than I did a year ago, and I feel that if I don't get better soon I am going to lose everything that is good to me- my loving boyfriend, and my friends for I keep ditching them without giving explaination...

It has been a roller coaster of good days and bad days, and finally i worked up the courage to begin medication. I had been too scared to take any SSRI's due to the reading of all the negative side effects. But i feel that it's the only thing that's really going to help..

I have been on only 10 mg of citalopram for 3 days now, and it has been hell. My anxiety has heightened incredibly. I am scared and feel farther from myself then I ever have. I know that it's just my own thought patters and nervous system, but I just can't seem to get it out of my head that I will never be the same!

Has anyone else experienced this? None of my friends or family really understands what I am going through...

michellemumof4
08-08-07, 17:31
Hi

Lots of people will relate and totally understand how you are feeling, I definatly do for sure,

there is a lot of usefull advice information and support here for you ,

Welcome aboard and good luck in dealing with your anxiety

Michelle

xxxxxxxx

trac67
08-08-07, 17:34
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Joetv
08-08-07, 18:01
Hi Amanda

I was 18 when I first experienced anxiety and so reading your post is amazing for me. It's like listening to myself all those years ago, if that makes sense. It's tough but I didn't lose everything and neither will you. Fear of losing everything is, guess what, a classic part of anxiety...

It's going to take a while but it will get better. Not only did I not lose everything, like I thought I was going to, I've since done much more in life than many of my friends who never had anxiety - I've travelled to Australia, moved to London, got a job in TV. It won't beat you. It sometimes feels like it will. But it won't.

Also, you're still you. This is just a nasty experience that feels different. You're not losing yourself, but you are going through something tough...

They all say that medication takes a while for any beneficial effects. When I first took meds, I got a mate to stay with me all night because I was scared what it'd do to me. And it didn't do anything much. But my mood lifted over a few weeks and I think the meds definitely helped. If you still feel worse taking them, do talk to someone about it. SSRI's aren't a quick fix but they usually help.

Hold on in there!

Best

Joe

honeybee3939
08-08-07, 18:20
Hi Amanda

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make new friends too.:)

Like Joe mentioned hun, meds can take a few weeks before you start to feel better and will hieghten your anxiety some what at first, so hang there.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Nibbles
08-08-07, 20:57
Hi Amanda and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way who understand what you're going through. Medication like citalopram tends to take a couple of weeks before the benefit kicks in and can make you feel worse at first so stick in there.

Take care,

Mike

groovygranny
09-08-07, 00:21
Hello manda :welcome:to you!

I'd like to encourage you to keep up with the meds for the moment - I experienced similar side effectrs from Citalopram but after a few weeks they did amazing things for me - so hopefully they will for you too!

You're among friends here who will completely understand what you're going through - so plenty of help and support:hugs:

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

Lindalou64
09-08-07, 03:57
HI MANDA,
WELCOME YES U CAN HAVE SIDE EFFECTS WITH MOST MEDS BUT IT WILL SUBSIDE.......YOU WILL FIND LOTS OF INFO AND SUPPORT HERE I WISH YA THE BEST............LINDA X

manda8801
09-08-07, 12:29
Thank you everyone! it's to nice to have people who understand, can relate, and who support how i'm feeling. I feel when I tell friends, boyfriend, and sometimes even family, they do not understand the extent of awful feelings I am troubled with!!

nomorepanic
09-08-07, 21:33
Hi Amanda

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

You will soon settle in and feel at home and get some great support and advice.

manmoor
10-08-07, 10:43
Hi Amanda,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

SharonDerby
10-08-07, 10:54
Hi Amanda
i think you will get loads of support here, at 18 you have had to cope with more than most, Joes message above is wonderful, take comfort from the words it's a very uplifting and possative message, hold on to the words hes said and you wont go far wrong.
I wish you well
take care
Sharon xxx

SammiB
10-08-07, 11:44
Hi amanda

I'm 19 now, and have been dealing and trying to recover for the past two months, i know what its like to feel like your losing everything to be frustrated with family cause all they say is c'mon get over it or keep pushing you to do things when you need to go at your own pace. i've lost a lot of hobbies and things because this illness has limited me, but slowly getting back in there, and i know that you must feel guilty about your partner because you have to watch how they react. i feel i'm losing mine everyday.

but this site has made me more confident, i'm going out a bit more and my b/f is taking the little steps with me, i'm not on anymeds and choose not to as i have to do this my self. i created it i have to beat it,

but i hope that all goes well for you and i'm here to chat if ever need be

good luck

Sammi

xxxxxxx