PDA

View Full Version : Just a passing phase I hope

Quiet-Lift
09-08-07, 00:00
Hi everybody...

I haven't been using NMP for awhile but have decided to take a chance and post something to try and distract myself and get a few things off my chest.
Today is the 8-month anniversary of my decision to stop smoking. I'm pleased with what I've done so far, but it has'nt been easy and I still crave the fags through boredom or the mistaken belief that they will soothe my anxiety or worries.

I've had another really bad day. A lot of crying and mental anguish which mercifully seems to have drifted away for the time being. I'm just not comfortable in myself at the moment and the useless guilt is giving me all kinds of difficulty.

Managed to visit my CMHT office today. I'm a member of the newsletter group but haven't been going for a month. I'd received a letter from the OT who runs the group and this must have encouraged me to return. There were only three of us but I did manage to make a contribution of sorts despite the way I was feeling. I was very slowed down because of my depression.

Afterward, the OT asked me if I was going home and asked if I would like her to call me. I said I thought it would be a good idea.
Unfortunately, she didn't call. I was a bit disappointed and am doing my best to rationalise the reasons rather than allowing paranoia to take over.

My agoraphobia seems to have grown more acute recently and my anxiety is more keenly felt. I have to force myself to go out sometimes and even then I can only go to relatively nearby and familiar places. I find this really gets me down because I don't want to stay at home. I don't think the isolation is good for me. Can anyone else relate to this?

If you have managed to read this to the end...many thanks. Sorry it's not more cheerful or optimistic. I don't want to go into too much detail for fear of boring anybody or even myself! It's not easy to keep it all together in a coherent and readable kind of way when everything seems so overwhelming.

groovygranny
09-08-07, 00:17
Allan huge :hugs::hugs::hugs: for you my friend!

Well done for your 8 month anniversary - I have nothing but admiration for anyone who manages to give up smoking. I can only imagine what it must be like sometimes.

Crikey, a post like this is very unlikely to bore anybody - unlike the one I've just posted lol !! and it's very coherent and readable so - well done!!

Sorry you're really going through it - but at least you're going through it not skirting around it eh?

When people don't call me when they say they will I immediately think it's either because they really didn't want to or I've said/done something. Neither is true of course-there is always a very reasonable explanation!

You may not realise it but you have something to be proud of yourself for. Even though you are only managing to go to familiar and nearby places - you're still going anyway!!

Glad you're posting again - we're all here for you ok?

big hugs for you

:hugs::hugs:

Quiet-Lift
09-08-07, 00:44
Hi GG...many thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Please believe that if I didn't get back to you it was not because of anything you may have done or said.
I tend to lose track of time occasionally and can be forgetful, hence the non response...
Hope you are OK and enjoying the holidays

Big hugs for you too

groovygranny
09-08-07, 00:58
Allan, my dear dear friend,

"When people don't call me when they say they will I immediately think it's either because they really didn't want to or I've said/done something. Neither is true of course-there is always a very reasonable explanation!"

I was referring to the OT lady that didn't call you when she said she would, and saying how much I can relate to how you felt - not to you! :ohmy::)

Sorry, didn't explain myself too well did I?!!

more hugs!

:hugs::hugs:

Quiet-Lift
09-08-07, 18:19
Thanks GG... She did phone me on the following day and told me that she had been called into a meeting...a reasonable explanation as you said.
Hoping that all is well with you...

Best wishes