PDA

View Full Version : ultrasound scan (girls problems!)

geordie flower
11-08-07, 11:13
:) Hiya, im awaiting a hospital appoinment for an ultrasound scan on my lower abdomen/pelvic area because of irregular periods :blush: and im scared stiff! has anyone had one of these done before and do you get the results straight away, i dont think i can stand it if i have to wait for them. In my letter it said i'll be there for 30 mins and i'll have to wear a hospital gown!:ohmy: any info would be greatfully received thanks tracey x :) p.s also im scared of wat they are looking for because i always fear the worst! x

darkangel
11-08-07, 12:06
HI Tracey

Just saw your post and thought I would reply. Ive just received a letter through the post this morning with my appointment for a CT scan next Friday and like you have all these questions running around my head.

Although we are having completely different scans, mine for my liver I assume the same rules apply.
The letter that came with my appointment says:
Do not expect the results on the day of the examination. You will get the results from your doctor.
Will be in department for approx 1 hour and you may be asked to remove some clothes and put on a hospital gown.
Nothing to eat for 6 hours prior although water may be taken.

To be honest with you Tracey just reading the letter and writing this is making me anxious but I know if I keep talking positive to myself this week and not add any more fear then I will cope with the examination. In the past what has made me panic is the negative thoughts prior to going for the scan that by the time we get there we are so full of nerves that we have made ourselves ill. try to put it out of your mind until the day, each time you have a What If thought, like what will they find, - say to yourself, I will cope no matter what. During the examination, practise breathing techniques and try focussing on a particular point in the room, maybe a picture or anything to distract you. Ive to go through the CT scanner and Im terrified of enlcosed spaces but hey, I know nothing bad will happen and Im in a safe place. I would also tell the nursing staff that you have anxiety and they will be most supportive.

Together we will get through this :flowers:

Luv Darkangel x

geordie flower
11-08-07, 12:15
Hiya darkangel, thank you for yor reply it really meant alot. I hope everything goes ok for you, at least i suppose we are in the best place and its best to deal with health probs rather than ignoring them (easier said than done!) keep in touch and let me know how you get on, you'll be in my thoughts take care tracey :) x

belle
11-08-07, 13:12
Hi there..
I had one done on the 3rd Aug, due to a number of "issues" going on downstairs including irregular bleeding and constant dull pain!!!!

I was told that i wouldn't be contacted unless there was a problem, and the very next day i recieved a letter from the doctor asking me to go in and see him. I am yet to do that. Too scared! I am SUCH A BABY.

The scan itself is fine. The worst bit is drinking and holding the water. My letter said i had to drink 2 pints and keep it in for at least an hour prior to my appointment. By the time i was being scan i was almost peeing myself :)

I hope it all works out for you...

x

geordie flower
11-08-07, 15:12
Hiya bluebell, what are you like! i cant believe you havent been back to the docs yet i wud ov been knocking on his door thw very next day demanding to kno wats wrong with me im such a diva ha ha ha my doc said it could be fibroids or cysts (which are all easily treatable) or nothing but i always imagine its the worst thing possible! ive also been told to drink lots ov water ready for the scan. So when you do go to your docs (sooner rather than later) will you please let me know how you get on, take care tracey :) x p.s. did your doc tell u before your scan what your symptoms could be? x

Quirky
11-08-07, 16:12
Hi there, Geordie flower

I've had a few ultrasound scans now, one a couple of years back to check all my abdomen and pelvis, then another one to check a kidney cyst.
I had most recent one (internal and external) back in the spring as I was getting alot of groin pain in the ovary area. At the time my doctor said it could be ovulating pains, a cyst or to do with my bad back, but we decided to check it out as at one point it was severe pain at times.
I found the scan to be fine, I had to drink lots of water but I went in for my appt on time so I wasn't uncomfortable. The first time I went I wasn't allowed to eat as they were looking at my gallbladder etc but just for the pelvic one I could eat normally beforehand. After she had scanned my bladder she let me go to the loo before carrying on with scanning everything else, ovaries etc. I also had the internal transvaginal scan to look closely at my ovaries, bit it was not painful at all, much much easier than a smear test even! Just a very slim small probe goes in a tiny way so if you need that too it's nothing scary or painful in any way. The whole test was over fairly quickly really, 30 mins the first time and 15 mins at the most recent one.
I didn't have to put a gown on, for my abdomen they just asked me to slip my trousers down to just below my waistline ie still covering all modesty lol. For the internal pelvic one I just removed my undergarments and they covered me with a blanket while they did it.
I think I waited about 2 weeks for my results but obviously they contact you sooner if something is wrong. In the end they found that I have got polycystic ovaries, but that probably doesn't explain the pain I was getting but at least it showed there was nothing nasty going on thankfully.

Good luck too Darkangel. I've had a CT scan and although I was scared beforehand it was fine and over in 5 minutes! It's not too enclosed as it's not a tunnel like an MRI, it's just a doughnut shaped scanner that is a few feet wide and not claustrophobic at all.

Good luck to you both :hugs:

Lisa x

Dying_Swan
11-08-07, 17:43
Hello.

I've had a couple of Ultrasound scans and have been told straight away that they were ok.

If it's just an abdominal one, you probably won't have to wear a gown. I also had an internal one after having cysts removed from my ovaries. It was fine, and over really quickly. It's actually quite interesting seeing all your bits and pieces on TV! (But you don't have to look). The doctors just said 'that looks as good as it gets' and that was my 'results'. Sometimes they might go off and discuss them though, so don't worry if they don't tell you straight away. It doesn't mean there's anything awful going on.

Good luck - I hope it goes well for you :)

darkangel
11-08-07, 18:12
Thanks Lisa, one of my frineds jsut texted me earlier saying the same, she described it as a polo mint. Doughout or polo mint - that sounds much better than a tunnel any day! I feel bit releived to hear that. Just need to deal with the no food prior to going but my app is 8.30am so I should be ok.

Will keep you in touch Tracey on how Friday goes.

Take care

Darkangel :flowers:

Quirky
11-08-07, 19:26
Yes polo mint is a perfect description lol. It's definitely not a tunnel at all and not claustrophobic.

Not eating I always find hard before tests but luckily you have an early appt.

Let us know how you get on.

Lisa x

yorkylover
11-08-07, 20:16
Hi Geordie Flower.Iv had two scans done for polycystic ovaries,and to look at my kidneys and tummy.First time I had to wear a gown and second time was asked to take a dressing gown.The scan itself is nothing to worry about,no pain or anything.The jelly they rub on you is a bit cold!!!!And you usually have to drink alot of water as bluebell described and get a full bladder,god its nice to pee after!!!!:wacko:

geordie flower
12-08-07, 12:19
Hiya thank you everyone for taking time to reply to me you have all put my mind at rest alot, its something ive just gotta do and get over with but becos of my holidays my app is prob not til beginning of sept so fingers crossed! Good luck dark angel for fridy, take care all tracey x:)

Greeneyed
13-08-07, 12:45
Hi Geordie Flower.

I expect this will be an internal ultrasound which is nothing to worry about at all - they use a probe (commonly referred to as a "dildocam!" - though not by the doctors I don't think :) ) this is a thin plastic thing (like a dildo but smaller and thinner) that they put into your vagina (usually with some lube on it and a condom). They wlll have a towel covering you and it is fine - it is not painful at all and not as bad as a cervical smear - they made the room really dark where I had mine and no-one could really see anything and the nurse was a sweatheart, they understand it's awkward. It is really interesting, they wll be able to see your womb, ovaries and fallopian tubes and if it is anything like mine they will probably talk you through what they see as they see it. If it is just a nurse doing the scan they will probably book you in for an appointment with the doctor afterwards to discuss what they find (if anything). There is nothing to be scared of.

If they find anything that may be causing your problems they can then go about trying to fix it - which is a good thing - better to know and deal with things.

Try not to worry - you will be fine xx

Blackstar
14-08-07, 12:43
Hi Flower,

I'm booked in for exactly the same thing as you two weeks from now. I've had horrendous periods for the last few months - spotting, flooding, clots, you name it - so I can empathise with you!

I don't know much about the scan process but it sounds pretty straightforward, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. To be honest I'm so fed up with my problems that I can't wait for my scan - it's like the first step on the road to recovery :D

Feel free to pm me if you like - it's good to know there's someone in the same boat sometimes. :hugs:

Take care,

Anna. x

Quirky
17-08-07, 00:17
Darkangel - I hope your CT scan goes ok tomorrow :hugs:

Lisa x