PDA

View Full Version : Random sounds that turn into words

Clara983
20-07-18, 10:21
Hi guys,
so I've been having this thing going on for a while which I don't even know whether this should be posted here on in another subforum (e.g. General anxiety). I thought it's health related because I think I might be mentally ill.

It's this: Sometimes random sounds in my enviroment (like rain, wind, fan, crickets, airplane) contain elements that kind of trigger a word impression in my head. For example, I will take a shower and the constant sssshhhhh will trigger a word in my head that contains 'sh', like 'washing machine'.Or the fan at night will go fffffffff and all of a sudden the word 'folding' will pop up. I don't pay attention to it, it just pops up. It's like mind pops that are triggered by sounds.

It scares me because it feels like my mind processes sounds into langauge. I goodled a condition called "musical ear syndrome" which seems similar, it's when people here music in random background noise such as fans etc. It's apparently related to hearing loss, which I also have. But with me, it's not music, it's words. Sooooo uncanny.

Anyone else experience it?

iveyn
24-07-18, 19:44
Yes, same thing happens to me, but I was too afraid to speak about it, because it’s so strange :D I talked to another person on here who had the same issue! Don’t worry! The girl told me her therapist thought that it’s just a strange association with the sound

ErinKC
24-07-18, 22:41
That definitely just sounds like a normal but semi-odd way of processing sound. My daughter is 4 and she sees music as colors. When she first brought it up I thought it sounded crazy, but I looked it up and it's a real thing! That brain can do so many amazing things and make so many amazing connections. With the thing my daughter has, apparently a huge % of artist have the same thing. I think interesting brain connections are fascinating. You're just experiencing your environment in a more heightened way (and isn't that how we all do when we have anxiety??)

Clara983
18-09-18, 13:10
That definitely just sounds like a normal but semi-odd way of processing sound. My daughter is 4 and she sees music as colors. When she first brought it up I thought it sounded crazy, but I looked it up and it's a real thing! That brain can do so many amazing things and make so many amazing connections. With the thing my daughter has, apparently a huge % of artist have the same thing. I think interesting brain connections are fascinating. You're just experiencing your environment in a more heightened way (and isn't that how we all do when we have anxiety??)

I'm sorry for my late reply. It's interesting that you mention your daughter seing music as colors because I do that too. I see music, letters and numbers as colors and sometimes shapes. I wonder if the sound-to-word-hearing thing I have is connected to this somethow.