PDA

View Full Version : Is this OCD?

FM
11-08-07, 21:24
Hey guys, I have another question about something bothering me.

I recently got over my OCD symptoms (thoughts of harming myself). It's been more than a year since I had them. Anyway, I still have the fear that one day these thoughts will return, even though I'm almost sure they won't bother me again. This lead to alot of anxiety for me, and similar symptoms have returned. I'm worrying that I'll harm myself because I can't stand the constant worrying and anxiety anymore. If I worry about harming myself, then there's no way I actually would go through with it, right? I'm usually a very happy, easy going person too, so these thoughts really frustrate me.

My question is, do you think I'm just worrying too much or is this OCD.

Caribou
14-08-07, 21:39
Hi FM, I have had similar thoughts, not so much lately but they have been very distressing when my anx is bad (then on top of that the added worry that I may have OCD!). I think of the self harm thoughts as 'intrusive thoughts', these may occur in some form in many anxiety disorders. It is an OCD type symptom, but this one symptom does not necessarily mean you have OCD. Do you have any other symptoms associated with OCD?

Some also refer to this as 'Pure O' which is the obsessive thoughts of OCD, without rituals, although some people with this may have rituals in their mind to deal with the thoughts.

Personally speaking I've found it helpful to accept the upsetting thoughts as an anxiety symptom then find ways of distracting yourself, as overwise I end up obsessing over it even more. If your worries continue please speak to a doctor or a counsellor. Finally, I don't believe you will hurt yourself, please remember it is just a thought, you won't act on it.

Caribou

FM
14-08-07, 22:57
Hi Caribou, thanks for you answer. :)

I used to worry about harming myself for no reason, but that passed. I don't do that at all anymore, and I think I'm a fairly normal person again. I just have this bad habit of imagining bad things happening and me not being able to handle them and doing something stupid like harming myself.

I really don't think I'd ever harm myself, because sometimes I wish I could be invincable or immortal, so that I could never harm myself and die.

Lol, it's so confusing, eh?