PDA

View Full Version : Gallbladder removal

Mel_82
22-07-18, 22:02
So, it took me 11 months, but I finally put myself on the waiting list for gallbladder removal (I have stones).
I’m in Canada, so the wait is 6-9 months.

I’m oddly calm about it most times, but I’m still feeling some anxiety about the anesthesia and not waking up.
The surgeon said that the risks are minimal, but still needed to make me aware of them. He mentioned, heart problems, stroke, lung issues, blood clots, surgical complications and even death.

I’ve done a lot of research and everything points to this being a rather routine surgery and says anesthesia is super safe.
I still am having trouble getting past his rare, but present risks.

He said that for each year I keep a bad gallbladder there’s a 5% increase for complications from this. Plus it’s been hurting lately so it’s gotta go.

This is my first surgery so I’m a little scared.
Also, he said there’s no need for other ultra sounds (but my last one on my gallbladder was about 17 months ago ...).
I would assume they’d want a new one?

Anyone have their gallbladder out with positive results?

NancyW
22-07-18, 22:22
Yikes... 6 to 9 months?

That would be torture for me, too much time to think (read worry) about it.

I had 2 weeks from my big gallbladder attack to surgery, even that was long.

But... it was smooth as can be, no issues and I haven't missed my gallbladder for 1 second lol.

You're going to be fine, I'm just sorry you have to wait so long.

Mel_82
22-07-18, 22:34
I’ve been spending this time trying to gather positive stories and whatnot about gallbladder removal.
I’m so glad you didn’t have any issues :)

Aside from his “low risk” scenarios, I’m a little worried about heart stoppage while under anesthesia.
I saw a cardiologist about a year ago and had ALL the tests. Every thing came back good, but I still get chest pains (which could also be the gallstones too).
Could there be a drastic change in heart health in a year?
I’m 35, non-smoker, overweight, but no family history of heart issues.
Should I trust the results from last year? Or get retested?

MRS STRESS ED
22-07-18, 22:49
Hi Mel you will be good l had my
gallbladder out it had collapsed l
had bad infection not good so so painful, had the operation best thing l could of done, the operation was great it was straight forward recovery
was about two weeks but
l was back on my feet same
day honestly its not as bad
as you might expect good luck :hugs:

Mel_82
22-07-18, 22:59
Hi Mel you will be good l had my
gallbladder out it had collapsed l
had bad infection not good so so painful, had the operation best thing l could of done, the operation was great it was straight forward recovery
was about two weeks but
l was back on my feet same
day honestly its not as bad
as you might expect good luck :hugs:

Thank you :)
I work a physical job so the surgeon said 3-weeks recovery, but I can come home the same day.
I hope everything goes smoothly.

MRS STRESS ED
23-07-18, 07:29
l suppose everyone is different
and if your job is physical that
will make a difference,l just felt
better after two weeks anyway
best wishes let me know how
you get on :hugs:

Sleepy
23-07-18, 08:57
I had my gallbladder removed 18 months ago. I had no pain at all until a couple of months before surgery when it was just a dull ache occasionally. The stones had been detected years before during an ultrasound for something else. The procedure was straightforward. My gallbladder was full of massive stones the size of Maltesers if you know what they are! I had keyhole surgery, four small incisions.
I felt fine straight away and have not missed my gall bladder at all. When they are full of stones, they’re not functioning anyway.
I can understand you worrying about a general anaesthetic if it’s your first, but I’ve had several and it’s nothing to worry about. It’s weird that when you wake up, you feel as though you’ve literally only been out for a second. But your operation is all over!
Look upon it as a new life experience. You’ll be healthy without your manky gall bladder! All best wishes.

welsh girl
23-07-18, 09:45
Nothing to worry about, I had mine out ten years ago, keyhole surgery, I was told that even keyhole surgery one is still losing an organ so DONT lift anything heavier that a kettle of water for about six weeks. I was told that as long as I wasn't sick I could go home same day.
Regarding what you surgeon said, they have to cover themselves these days , I was told when I had my revision hip replacement that my chance if dying was very high, Just what I wanted to hear!!!