PDA

View Full Version : Am I being stupid worrying about heartburn

Sampowell542
23-07-18, 19:35
Noticed last week I had a little bit of heartburn, it had gone. But now its back again. Am I reading too much into this. I can't really remember having heartburn - or maybe I did and I didn't pay any attention to it. My anxiety has been through the roof recently, thinking I have every illness going. Now think I have oesophageal cancer. Im only 24 so this is probably near enough impossible. But my mind is doing overtime - which i think ix in turn making my heartburn worse.

SetYourMindFree
23-07-18, 19:42
Stress and anxiety cause heartburn. No need to complicate it. Heartburn by itself is not a symptom of cancer. Do you have trouble swallowing? Pain in the chest? Those, along with heartburn, signal esophageal cancer. I'd say you are just fine.

I would recommend you see a doctor for your 'other illnesses'. Get some peace of mind. Trust them.

AndrewCanada
24-07-18, 04:44
You're not stupid for having a fear. Fears are, by nature, illogical, but people on this board totally get where you're coming from. You don't need to worry about negative judgment on this forum.

As SetYourMindFree says, heartburn can be caused by many things. It's not something to worry about. If you want to book a doctor's appointment, do it, but an all-clear can set your mind at ease. I know that in my years of hypochondria / health anxiety, I've learned to not trust doctors.

Truth is, I'm actually discovering now that they are extremely good at what they do.

In the meantime, if it's bothering you, reduce fatty, spicy, sugary foods. That'll really trigger heartburn.

worrywart29
24-07-18, 05:56
I never had heartburn until I developed anxiety. Anxiety can cause heartburn in a lot of people. I now suffer from acid reflux and prior to anxiety I never had this issue.

Sampowell542
24-07-18, 17:40
Thank you everyone. Gotten some gaviscon to help. Feel like I've got a lump in my throat now. Think my anxiety has gotten to me.