PDA

View Full Version : How anxiety starts...

LMAnomynus
23-07-18, 21:00
Hi everyone,
I was just curious about how anxiety starts. I know there is no definitive answer anyone could provide me with but I was wondering what everyone's opinions are. I know it can be triggered from traumatic experiences in some people but in my case I have anxiety but don't really know why or where it came from. Just some insight into my personal experience: as far as I can remember I didn't have anxiety until I experienced chest pain and heart palpitations on my 18th birthday. I ended up getting heart scans and ECGS with no alarming results for almost a year. A cardiologist told me I have a heightened awareness for extra heartbeats. My symptoms would come and go but after a year my symptoms got so much worse and came with other issues like dizziness, numb arms and legs, shortness of breath ect and this resulted in panic attacks.
I was diagnosed with anxiety eventually only about a month ago. (I'm 20 now). I wasn't told which type I have. But I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/ideas about how anxiety starts if it isn't a result of past traumatic experiences. Is it possibly unbalanced chemicals in the brain or maybe our brains are rewired differently but this doesn't show until later in life ect.
Mostly posting this as a discussion rather than a question I'm searching a definite answer to.

Graceski
24-07-18, 15:30
There are many places anxiety can come from. If the people around you have always been anxious you're likely to pick it up growing up. If you had a traumatic experience it can cause anxiety. It can be a result of a medical condition, for example a thyroid problem. Or it can be from Googling too much.

I am trying to work out why mine started but I still don't know. As a child I was always anxious (I had a good childhood, no issues) and started having panic attacks aged 17. I'm now 26 and confused why this happened to me!

:)

LMAnomynus
24-07-18, 22:31
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I think it's hard to identify a cause most of the time and probably depends on the individual. Mine seemed to start out of nowhere but I'm hoping therapy can help me figure out how this happened.

All the best and take care :)