PDA

View Full Version : Is this true about Fatal Familial Insomnia?

Meriland30
24-07-18, 06:07
I came across this article (obviously can't post the link) but within it it said, and I quote:

"What You Need To Know About Fatal Familial Insomnia

Hayley, Lachlan and their relatives are part of the less than 10 million people in the world suffering from FFI. Unfortunately, there is still no cure or known treatment for the illness."

.....10 million? Is that number true? I thought only 40 some odd families had this...

Kingdawson
24-07-18, 09:33
No that's false.

Also insomnia isn't even the first/main symptom of SFI. Dementia and big big cognitive issues come before the insomnia part which happens later(And baffles the hell out of me that people fear SFI based on insomnia).

ankietyjoe
24-07-18, 16:51
If 10 million people had it, that would be 1 in 700 people alive today.

Complete bullshit.

Elen
24-07-18, 17:31
Sarah you really need to break this habit of looking for things to obsess over.

Your fears jump around all over the place and it is up to you to to not read these articles which then fuel the need to start googling or asking for re-assurance.

I am not meaning to be harsh but you are the only person who can control this.

Try, really really try, not to click on these links.

The more you click on this kind of thing the more of the will be put in front of you.

Wishing you well

Elen

ErinKC
25-07-18, 03:12
I agree with Elin. Know your triggers and try to avoid them. I had to unfollow many things on Facebook, for example, to avoid triggering articles or posts. And, if I saw a post the caught my eye because it was something I've been anxious about, I always move past it instead of feeding the demon!

---------- Post added at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Also - I googled the quote you posted. While most sites repeat the exact mistake, I finally figured out what's going on from the one article that seemingly gets it right: "This mysterious genetic disease affects **less than one in 10 million** people worldwide and has no treatment or cure." Clearly, someone made a typo and then ever clickbaity sight that followed copied and pasted. Another good reason not to read articles like this or google things!! #fakenew :winks: