PDA

View Full Version : Old fear, back.

HelloPanda23
24-07-18, 07:49
As a kid, I always feared going to bed and hated it because everytime I did, I'd usually end up having issues sleeping. I'd end up sleeping like 10-30 minutes after I closed my eyes. Still sometimes happens, but rarely ever as common. I've certainly gone through many fears, and just last month, I heard about SFI. Scratched it off and didn't care one bit, but then I remembered about it today and thought to myself, "isn't having anxiety over SFI super scary? You are afraid and so you don't get sleep, and due to lack of sleep, you get more afraid. Isn't the only answer medication?" And that freaked me out. Now, I know I don't have SFI and I don't care about it, but I'm afraid of not being able to sleep now. Just got to bed, and just in case I can't sleep, I'd like to hear any advice I can. But once again, i've already had and gone through this fear but I never understood how I got rid of it, just went away with time I preassume. Thanks in advance.

Andrash
24-07-18, 21:52
As a kid, I always feared going to bed and hated it because everytime I did, I'd usually end up having issues sleeping. I'd end up sleeping like 10-30 minutes after I closed my eyes. Still sometimes happens, but rarely ever as common. I've certainly gone through many fears, and just last month, I heard about SFI. Scratched it off and didn't care one bit, but then I remembered about it today and thought to myself, "isn't having anxiety over SFI super scary? You are afraid and so you don't get sleep, and due to lack of sleep, you get more afraid. Isn't the only answer medication?" And that freaked me out. Now, I know I don't have SFI and I don't care about it, but I'm afraid of not being able to sleep now. Just got to bed, and just in case I can't sleep, I'd like to hear any advice I can. But once again, i've already had and gone through this fear but I never understood how I got rid of it, just went away with time I preassume. Thanks in advance.

To do list before you go to sleep:

-Go for a half an hour run/walk (better run).
-Have a glass of wine or whisky.
-Read a book while listening to classical or some other relaxing music.

Works every time, and you wont be afraid - you will simply drift off to sleep.

HelloPanda23
24-07-18, 22:19

Thanks for the advice, I might give it a go but last night I slept after a bit. Didn’t take much effort.

HelloPanda23
25-07-18, 02:51
I’ve recently gotten a tiny bit afraid of SFI, but not that I have it, but rather that I will get it. So my question is, how does someone get this disease? It’s super rare because a specific protein in genetics is the cause for it, and only a hundred people have it through their family blood line. Mine doesn’t have this and so no issue for me in terms of FFI. That leaves SFI as my only threat and only 7-16 cases have been ever recorded in the whole wide world. So how do these people get the protein? I read somewhere that people who eat meat infected with mad cow disease are at exposure, and so are people who get tainted blood. I’ve got none of those, including family history, and so I’m safe from everything, but surgery. I heard you could get it from a head surgery or something, but I’ve never had a surgery in my life, let alone in my head. Are these the only ways to get sporadic fatal insomnia, and also the reason behind why it’s so rare, or are there more ways? Because it makes absolutely no sense for it to be caused on someone with no family history of this disease. I’m sure this information along with others added will help many who suffer from this fear, and so any information is greatly appreciated.

AMomentofClarity
25-07-18, 02:57
Why are you worried about something with 7-16 recorded cases? You’d be better off worrying about winning the powerball multiple times.

HelloPanda23
25-07-18, 03:23
Why are you worried about something with 7-16 recorded cases? You’d be better off worrying about winning the powerball multiple times.

Because of hypochondria, lol.

AntsyVee
25-07-18, 06:42
Don’t go down this rabbit hole. Move on now.

textsfromthemoon
25-07-18, 07:13
^This. I understand it's not easy (as someone who has gone through multiple bouts of very specific HA fears I can definitely attest to this lol) but I promise the insanely rare diseases rabbit hole is not worth going down. Try to find something that can distract you from this fear and let yourself move on.

Scass
25-07-18, 07:21
I would scratch off the alcohol and have a bath or do some relaxation instead. Create a peaceful bedtime routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
25-07-18, 09:11
I would scratch off the alcohol and have a bath or do some relaxation instead. Create a peaceful bedtime routine.

I agree. It can be a slippery path creating a crutch that leads to more problems.

It was probably meant as a one off? But I've always resisted alcohol with anxiety.

HelloPanda23
25-07-18, 15:40
Don’t go down this rabbit hole. Move on now.

I mean, I know I absolutely don't have it, but my fears are more revolved around getting it in the future. I'm scared of this disease and I think that's why. So, what do I do to move on? I'll avoid searching anything up about this disease, but what else do I do to let it go completely? Prior to this, I was afraid of brain eating amoebas, which are as rare as familial fatal insomnia but not as rare as sporadic fatal insomnia. Luckily enough, these fears haven't been affecting my sleep much, and I'm super happy that's the case. I've been sleeping as good as I have before this fear started 2 days ago.

HelloPanda23
25-07-18, 15:43
No, I don't have issues sleeping surprisingly, even though I was very afraid to go to bed and try to sleep due to it ending up not working. I've slept absolutely well these 2 days since my fear came back, 8 hrs each night. I'm feeling proud that this is the case.

nomorepanic
25-07-18, 16:02

Don't agree with the alcohol and I thought reading would keep your mind active and not allow it to get ready for sleep.

I don't think anyone wants to go for a run before bed either.

nomorepanic
25-07-18, 16:03
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

textsfromthemoon
25-07-18, 21:53
I mean, I know I absolutely don't have it, but my fears are more revolved around getting it in the future. I'm scared of this disease and I think that's why. So, what do I do to move on? I'll avoid searching anything up about this disease, but what else do I do to let it go completely? Prior to this, I was afraid of brain eating amoebas, which are as rare as familial fatal insomnia but not as rare as sporadic fatal insomnia. Luckily enough, these fears haven't been affecting my sleep much, and I'm super happy that's the case. I've been sleeping as good as I have before this fear started 2 days ago.

In terms of letting yourself move on, not googling anything related to this disease is the perfect start, try to counter any negative thoughts you have relating to it with positive ones internally instead of going for outside reassurance, the more you talk about and obsess over the perceived "possibility" of these symptoms the more power you will give them. If you're experiencing anxious thoughts during down time, find something that's enjoyable to you but also occupies your mind like word searches, crosswords, sudoku, coloring, reading, trivia shows etc., I find that keeping my mind occupied helps me to break the pattern of obsessive thoughts and also helps any "symptoms" I'm experience diminish as well

AntsyVee
25-07-18, 23:47

Most of us who have anxiety have it in cycles all of our lives. It usually manifests itself during or after periods of stress, loss of sleep, poor diet, life events...anything that causes us to be under those stress hormones.

When these episodes pop up, like you've had episodes with brain eating amoeba before, there are things you can do for the short term and the long term. For the short term, you NEVER Google. You distract yourself when you get those urges to change the channels in your brain. You may take up new hobbies or yoga or exercise to do this. You can talk to a therapist or seek therapy online. You can talk to a doc and get some benzodiapenes.

You will see many people on here that just deal with their HA when it pops up. They get stressed, the start obsession on some disease or condition, and it may last for days, weeks or months until their stress levels die down. The problem is that when they get stressed out again, they get HA again. That's why many of us suggest some long term treatments.

Long term treatments include internalizing and putting into practice what you learn in therapy. Controlling/maintaining a proper diet and/or exercise routine. Medications like an SSRI. Making life changes to reduce your stress like choosing a new job or something.

It really depends on you and what steps you are willing to take to deal with your anxiety. I hope this helps.

HelloPanda23
28-07-18, 04:38
Most of us who have anxiety have it in cycles all of our lives. It usually manifests itself during or after periods of stress, loss of sleep, poor diet, life events...anything that causes us to be under those stress hormones.

When these episodes pop up, like you've had episodes with brain eating amoeba before, there are things you can do for the short term and the long term. For the short term, you NEVER Google. You distract yourself when you get those urges to change the channels in your brain. You may take up new hobbies or yoga or exercise to do this. You can talk to a therapist or seek therapy online. You can talk to a doc and get some benzodiapenes.
You will see many people on here that just deal with their HA when it pops up. They get stressed, the start obsession on some disease or condition, and it may last for days, weeks or months until their stress levels die down. The problem is that when they get stressed out again, they get HA again. That's why many of us suggest some long term treatments.

Long term treatments include internalizing and putting into practice what you learn in therapy. Controlling/maintaining a proper diet and/or exercise routine. Medications like an SSRI. Making life changes to reduce your stress like choosing a new job or something.

It really depends on you and what steps you are willing to take to deal with your anxiety. I hope this helps.

Issue is, I’ve always had an anxiety disorder. I’d find danger in the stupidest things, “what if suddenly a robber breaks into my house”, “what if my paents get hurt”, and etc. Keep in mind I’m only 16 and about 4 months ago, I made the stupidest decision of my life. I drank redbull. That day was hell for me, lol. After I drank it, I came home to find myself feeling jittery and sweating. I knew redbull caused it and so I decided to do research on it, and bam, who knew redbull could cause me to have a heart attack and many other health issues? I started to fear for my life, and ended up having the worst panic attack of my life. I felt like I couldn’t breath at all, and thought any minute could be my last. After that day, for a month, I was constantly focused on my birth and on the anxious feeling I was left with as a result. I’d also get a feeling as though my breath was running short, and I overall felt super terrible. I then got used to this but still was stuck with these feelings. Then one day, I search up ALS and how Stephen Hawking died from it, and bam, I get stuck in a cycle of fear. “How can people live comfortabley knowing they have a chance of recieving such a scary disease”, “what if I get this horrible disease”, and so and so. My first fear of an actual terrible disease, and it lasted 2 months. Then, this fear moved onto brain eating amoeba, and that lasted for a month. Now, I got stuck onto this stupid fear of dying from fatal insomnia. Been 4 days and my fears have gradually decreased a lot. Sure, they still exist, but not as bad as they were any of the other days. My stress levels had decreased a lot, but these episodes are caused by genuine fears of these disease, not by personal issues. I’ve always had this notion that I’d never be in danger as a result of a health issue, and so my anxiety only revolved around normal situations. Considering this, what’s my resolve? I can decrease my stress levels, but that gets jolted back up upon remembering about diseases I fear. Either way, I’m getting comfortable with my fear of this disease, and so it’s getting better I guess.

AntsyVee
28-07-18, 06:52
You sound very much like me when I was 16 (I'm twice your age now). My anxiety is always a "what if" type. It's only gotten worse as I've aged, and then now that I have PTSD. I giggled at your Redbull story (not that it's funny, I know) but it reminded me of when I decided to take No-Doze pills in college so I could stay up and study for finals and ended up jogging in circles around my dorm building because I was so wired and had restless legs.

I know your fears are "genuine fears" but what I was trying to point out was that the more stressed that you are the more likely your mind goes into the cycle of fear caused by anxiety. I gave you some ways to resolve your anxiety both short term and long term.

For the short term, you NEVER Google. You distract yourself when you get those urges to change the channels in your brain. You may take up new hobbies or yoga or exercise to do this. You can talk to a therapist or seek therapy online. You can talk to a doc and get some benzodiapenes.

Considering how young you are, I would start with some of the short term suggestions and see how you do. If I may ask, how long have you had anxiety before the Redbull incident?

HelloPanda23
28-07-18, 07:35
You sound very much like me when I was 16 (I'm twice your age now). My anxiety is always a "what if" type. It's only gotten worse as I've aged, and then now that I have PTSD. I giggled at your Redbull story (not that it's funny, I know) but it reminded me of when I decided to take No-Doze pills in college so I could stay up and study for finals and ended up jogging in circles around my dorm building because I was so wired and had restless legs.

I know your fears are "genuine fears" but what I was trying to point out was that the more stressed that you are the more likely your mind goes into the cycle of fear caused by anxiety. I gave you some ways to resolve your anxiety both short term and long term.

Considering how young you are, I would start with some of the short term suggestions and see how you do. If I may ask, how long have you had anxiety before the Redbull incident?

Before the redbull incident, I didn't have HA and had a normal anxiety disorder. It's an overreactive type and when I was a kid, my parents would leave the house and come back a bit late. Thriughout their hours away, I'd get very afraid that something terrible would happen to them, and I'd call them a lot. I had that type of anxiety, and for my whole life. Since being a little kid. It was situational though and not debilitwting whatsoever. HA is very debilitating lol.

MyNameIsTerry
28-07-18, 08:10
Don't agree with the alcohol and I thought reading would keep your mind active and not allow it to get ready for sleep.

Reading is recommended for sleep hygiene. I thought it would make my mind more active, and on really bad nights it may have little effect, but it has mostly helped. It distracts me from thinking time and it's surprising how lying in bed doing this makes you tired.

Scass
28-07-18, 08:44
Reading is recommended for sleep hygiene. I thought it would make my mind more active, and on really bad nights it may have little effect, but it has mostly helped. It distracts me from thinking time and it's surprising how lying in bed doing this makes you tired.

I always used to read before bed, and I agree that it distracts and relaxes. For me, there’s nothing like a good book.
Lately I’ve been listening to an audiobook in the kitchen and I find that really helpful. I also think listening to a podcast or book before bed is brilliant. The concentration it takes to listen generally wears me out and I always fall asleep mid sentence.

I think that at 16, you’re at a brilliant age to shape the rest of your life. So, start some relaxation techniques at bedtime. When I was 20 I started having a bath every night before bed, with some lavender oil in it, or something to promote relaxation. Then I’d get into bed and listen to my relaxation tape (yes, tape - the good old days). I really recommend listening to progressive muscle relaxation before bed. In my experience it helped me get to sleep, and also instilled a life long knowledge of how to body scan & automatically relax those muscles that are tensed up. When your muscles are tense it can affect your breathing, and when your breathing is affected then everything else goes to pot. Well that’s my experience anyway, so I know it’s not a quick fix, it’s not glamorous and it sounds boring. At the first few goes it may not even work, but you need to stick with it.

Also, I thoroughly recommend distraction by phone games. I know phones aren’t recommended at bedtime, but a few quick goes at an easyish and repetitive game, can really take your mind off your worries. That then regulates your breathing and brings everything else back down too. Matching games are great for this - like bejewelled or candy crush.

HelloPanda23
28-07-18, 18:45
I always used to read before bed, and I agree that it distracts and relaxes. For me, there’s nothing like a good book.
Lately I’ve been listening to an audiobook in the kitchen and I find that really helpful. I also think listening to a podcast or book before bed is brilliant. The concentration it takes to listen generally wears me out and I always fall asleep mid sentence.

I think that at 16, you’re at a brilliant age to shape the rest of your life. So, start some relaxation techniques at bedtime. When I was 20 I started having a bath every night before bed, with some lavender oil in it, or something to promote relaxation. Then I’d get into bed and listen to my relaxation tape (yes, tape - the good old days). I really recommend listening to progressive muscle relaxation before bed. In my experience it helped me get to sleep, and also instilled a life long knowledge of how to body scan & automatically relax those muscles that are tensed up. When your muscles are tense it can affect your breathing, and when your breathing is affected then everything else goes to pot. Well that’s my experience anyway, so I know it’s not a quick fix, it’s not glamorous and it sounds boring. At the first few goes it may not even work, but you need to stick with it.

Also, I thoroughly recommend distraction by phone games. I know phones aren’t recommended at bedtime, but a few quick goes at an easyish and repetitive game, can really take your mind off your worries. That then regulates your breathing and brings everything else back down too. Matching games are great for this - like bejewelled or candy crush.

Luckily enough, my sleep is doing crazy good. I sleep 7-8 hours each night, and fall asleep within 1-5 mins. I thought this fear would make it harder to sleep again, but it hasn’t. Obviously, my fear of going to bed at night is still a bit there. Not a super debilitating fear though. I’m only somewhat afraid of fatal insomnia, and at my age, the chances are 1/7 billion, because out of the 7-8 cases, only 1 teenager got it. It’s stupid to fear such a very very rare disease, but it’s in my mind at times. I’ll eventually find a new fear to pass my anxiety onto lol.

Andrash
29-07-18, 10:15

Using alcohol is one thing, abusing it is entirely another.

I am not suggesting people with insomnia should get drunk in order to sleep (overpowered by alcohol), but a nightcap to calm the nerves and summon sleepy thoughts is absolutely in order, at least in my opinion.

Do not take this as an affront to you, but I really think people nowadays get too doctrinaire in their anti - alcohol views...It is almost like prohibition activists in the 1920s. When used with caution and in moderate quantities, alcohol can be quite enjoyable and even useful.

As for the running, sorry for not being precise - I did not mean it immediately before bed, of course. But in the early evening, especially in the summer, it is just what the doctor ordered.

Fishmanpa
29-07-18, 14:39
Using alcohol is one thing, abusing it is entirely another.

I am not suggesting people with insomnia should get drunk in order to sleep (overpowered by alcohol), but a nightcap to calm the nerves and summon sleepy thoughts is absolutely in order, at least in my opinion.

Do not take this as an affront to you, but I really think people nowadays get too doctrinaire in their anti - alcohol views...It is almost like prohibition activists in the 1920s. When used with caution and in moderate quantities, alcohol can be quite enjoyable and even useful.

As for the running, sorry for not being precise - I did not mean it immediately before bed, of course. But in the early evening, especially in the summer, it is just what the doctor ordered.

I agree that advice is reckless. I understand it works for you and you enjoy it but and yes, when used in small, not moderate quantities, it can be useful and as you said, beneficial. It's known fact that a glass of red wine can be good for you. The push back on your statement comes when it's combined with anxiety. For sufferers, one has to take in the abuse factor in self medicating and also drug interactions if they're on meds. While many with anxiety can and do manage to use alcohol with no issues, there are also many that have a bad reaction and lack of self control. The threads about anxiety attacks after drinking too much and the inevitable hangover anxiety threads are proof of that.

Lastly and most importantly, the OP is a 16 year old teen and not legally permitted to drink so in this case, your advice is certainly ill advised.

Positive thoughts

Andrash
29-07-18, 21:26
Lastly and most importantly, the OP is a 16 year old teen and not legally permitted to drink so in this case, your advice is certainly ill advised.

Positive thoughts

I did not know that. I apologize.

HelloPanda23
29-07-18, 21:34
I did not know that. I apologize.

Apologizing isn’t necessary, I thank you very much for your advice, as I know your intentions were good. I’m doing very good and have been sleeping 7-8 hours daily so far, just developed a bit of sleep dread, that’s all.