PDA

View Full Version : venlafaxine

joy
12-08-07, 07:16
I think I will be starting on venlafaxine shortly after my shrink rings tomorrow as Duloxetine hasnt worked for me.

very scared by the thought of yet another med change so would like some positive stories please

Love Joy

Carol_dearest
12-08-07, 08:05
Hi Joy,
I have not read any comments on this message as I don't want to be influenced.
I have been taking venalfaxine for a long time, after trying about every other type available. It took me a couple of weeks or so before I got over some side effects initially. It is the first anti depress: anx: medication that works for me. I am highly allergic to many chemicals and suffered a minor stroke after having one type (not the sort you would ever be put on). Stick with it and I'm sure things will start to get better. I have found that this tablet, unlike so many others has not changed my personality. I am reasonably stable for someone with my back ground. I do hope you will be feeling much better soon. I take 225mg a day with no problems at all.
Carol. xx

joy
12-08-07, 08:32
Well thats good to know cos ever since coming off seroxat nothing has worked for me not even seroxat the second time. Would like to try med free but that scares me too.

Love Joy

happyone
12-08-07, 08:47
Can't help you hun as I haven't tried it, but I would be interested to know how you go!

Happyone
xx

Jimbo
12-08-07, 09:40
Hi Joy,:hugs:

I've been on it since March. Slowly increased doseage up to 225mgs a day (slow release version).

Here's my thread which I try to keep updated on my progress with it:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18284

I've tried Fluoxetine, Citalopram, Paroxetine in the past none of which have worked for me.

I also take Quetiapine and have just started Trazodone at night to help me sleep and should also combine to help even more with the anx / depression.

The side effects for me when starting were a little unpleasant but no worse than any of the others, aches and pains, headaches, lethargy, diffficulty sleeping, feeling a bit 'zoned out'.

The only ones that persisted are the difficulty sleeping (although this has always been a prob for me), sweating a bit more than usual, headaches and a little less sex drive. No worse than any of the others to be honest.

For me it started helping a fair bit quite quickly initially but it's taken a long time for the full positive effects to start working (maybe 2 months after increasing to my current dose) but it's definately been the best AD so far at helping my depression and anxiety/panic.

I'm not looking forward to coming off it ever, I've forgotten to take doses before and the withdrawal is very unpleasant.

However, saying all the above, as I always say about AD's, it's always different for each individual, people often react differently.

Good luck with it, let us know how you are getting on.

Jim :hugs: