PDA

View Full Version : Fears of the big *r*

Rhiannon.
25-07-18, 12:54
Hey all.

I'm usually pretty good at managing my fears but here we are.

My next door neighbours son, wife and her mother are visiting and the mother in law has a new dog after her passed away. It's was a stray from I imagine another country as they mentioned a passport (I'm in the UK)

Lovely little dog. Very friendly and licky. Which is where the problem lies. I'm very careful around dogs I don't know because I know what triggers my anxiety. But when I sat down the little dog jumped up and licked my face around my mouth (possibly in my mouth?).

So now of course I'm freaking out. Can anyone help me with my fears?

venusbluejeans
25-07-18, 13:18
you really think a dog would be rehomed if it had rabies???

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219591

Rhiannon.
25-07-18, 13:29
That's what I'm trying to tell myself. I know how strict the UK are in regards to quarantining new arrivals to begin with. My brain just keeps hitting me with "what it's" though

nomorepanic
25-07-18, 13:32
There are no what if's with this one though. It is a definite "no"

Rhiannon.
25-07-18, 22:37
I need to hear the. The anxiety keeps coming on ever one and again.

Trying to convince myself that Bobby wouldn't be allowed in the UK if he was sick and that you don't get it that way. It's hard though.

It's stupid because he's a lovely, friendly little dog

Scass
25-07-18, 22:49
He certainly wouldn’t get a passport.

I’m also sure that the rescue centre did all the tests necessary.

You have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lofwyr
26-07-18, 05:43
I have been around dogs my entire life. A lot of dogs. I mean upwards of a thousand or so directly, and many many more indirectly. I have worked with them professionally and have always had many dogs as companions. I am talking interaction with, including licks, nips, and handful of bites. Covered in spit and dog wastes. I have been with sick dogs too. I also know dozens of people with as much or more contact with dogs than I have. In my 47 years of life, I have not known or heard about a single case of rabies among the humans or canines I have worked with, and some were yet to be vaccinated. Not one.

paranoid-viking
26-07-18, 10:29
OP, please read this one:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219591

And then we talk. There are more than enough of rabies thread here now.
I am now 100% convinced that posters in here are triggering each other with their rabies fears. A vivious anxiety circle. You should all post your rabies fears in the post above.

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

I need to hear the. The anxiety keeps coming on ever one and again.

Trying to convince myself that Bobby wouldn't be allowed in the UK if he was sick and that you don't get it that way. It's hard though.

It's stupid because he's a lovely, friendly little dog

AAre you seeking out help for your anxiety? Or do you just want a quick reassurance "fix" by posting here? You need HELP for the anxiety. Anxiety is your problem, not rabies. PERIOD!

Elen
26-07-18, 11:06
If he has a passport he has been vaccinated against rabies, then tested to ensure that the vacaccine worked before being allowed to travel to the UK.

Rhiannon.
26-07-18, 16:53
Thanks everyone. I know it's the anxiety that the problem, but trying to work with it. Quick fixes are really appreciated short term though, haha.

I even challenged myself today to go back and see the dog again. He really is a lovely little thing.

I know it's in my head and I'm trying really hard to fight it. The reassurance really helps though. I know long term it's not great but my anxiety has been so good recently and kept in check (mostly). This is my first big freak out in months :)