PDA

View Full Version : The frustrations of anxiety

ErinKC
25-07-18, 20:54
Why is it that even when we're so well acquainted with our particular brand of health anxiety, we can't stop ourselves from letting the worry creep in? I find this so frustrating. I'm a total expert on my anxiety. I know when it's coming, I know what it will do, and as soon as I start to worry about something I even say to myself, "oh, there's that one again!" Yet, I still have a hard time stopping it.

Does anyone else feel this way? Like you know anxiety like the back of your hand, yet it's still somehow able to sneak up and smack you in the face??

lucymarie
25-07-18, 21:27
100%. I have a cycle, I know the ins and outs of my mind, my patterns, my triggers and it means nothing. Every damn time I get over one worry I tell myself never again Lucy. I try to keep on top of things before they get out of hand but it means nothing and I’m back to square one again. It’s exhausting and so embarrassing feeling like you are educated enough to help yourself yet can’t manage to.

AndrewCanada
26-07-18, 00:52
100% agreed.

Even though things aren't as bad for me as they were (where I was a 24/7 bedridden with suicidal ideations), I still get the occasional panic attack. I can also feel it coming on, but it takes SO MUCH effort to actively diffuse it.

For me, lots of it has been finding the coping strategies that work, and being disciplined about actually doing them. They have gotten easier bit by bit. They still don't feel natural, but I'm hoping in time that they will. Mental health professionals say that you can retrain your mind.